Donebrokeit UltraDork
3/22/21 9:31 a.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/21 9:49 a.m.

Lee
Lee UberDork
3/22/21 12:09 p.m.

I experience this years ago, a lady rear ended my Wrangler with her Plymouth Voyager, demolished the front of her van, punctured her radiator and condenser.  I needed a new receiver hitch.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
3/22/21 12:34 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

"Framerail"

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/22/21 1:07 p.m.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/22/21 1:22 p.m.

stolen from professor brap 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/22/21 1:38 p.m.
Lee said:

I experience this years ago, a lady rear ended my Wrangler with her Plymouth Voyager, demolished the front of her van, punctured her radiator and condenser.  I needed a new receiver hitch.

I had a few similar crashes with my trucks. People pulling out without seeing me or misjudging speed and then clipping the bumper of the trucks with their cars.  Damage to the cars: extensive. Damage to the truck: little or none.  My Toyota 4x4 had an extruded aluminum tube bumper that I should have put "kill stickers" on it from how many people hit it and came away from the encounter much worse.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/22/21 1:49 p.m.

Peak FloridaMan here.

3/22/21 2:02 p.m.

3/22/21 2:03 p.m.

3/22/21 2:03 p.m.

3/22/21 2:04 p.m.

3/22/21 2:04 p.m.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
3/22/21 7:44 p.m.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/22/21 7:53 p.m.
Lee said:

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

So this is one of my research sites, see that telecom box kind of in the foreground, bottom left?  You see that post with the solar panel on it?  Guess what we found when we augered the hole for that post...

Didn't cut anything, thankfully they've got a fairly tough outer jacket.  If I'd moved the auger just 4-6" to the right, it would have probably been a different story.

The farmer that owns that field told us there wasn't anything to worry about.  He maintains the ditches along his fields, instead of relying on the county.  He told us no one knew where anything was buried out there, he'd called 811 in the past, and not gotten any answers.  We knew there were phone lines, but it's rural eastern AR, so there's no gas, water, or power to worry about.  I think the farmer was hoping we'd find the phone lines for him. laugh

I know this is old, but I had to respond. 

The requirement is to call before you dig. There is no requirement for them to actually identify the location of the utilities. 

If you hit something that is not marked, you have no liability. If you fail to call, you have total liability. 

Lee
Lee UberDork
3/22/21 8:57 p.m.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/22/21 9:19 p.m.
Lee said:

I always thought when the recording would say....press 1 for blah, blah.  Press 2 for blah, blah....if you have a dial phone hold for the operator.  

It should have said.....If you have a dial phone you're an idiot.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/21 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Until my extended family moved out of the house in the mid 1990s, the house I grew up in did not have dial tone service.  Rotary only.  Dial tone cost an extra $5/month, and button style phones had a switch on them to switch them over to rotary style dialing, so they'd work and no need to pay for dial tone service.

All the phone connectors in the house (both of them!) had the old style four prong connectors, too.

Mom had to have some surgery a ways back that involved lengthy recovery, so we moved back there for a couple months, and brought the computer so she wouldn't go insane.  I forget what the modem codes were for rotary dialing,  but the modem worked just fine too smiley

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/22/21 9:27 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Until my extended family moved out of the house in the mid 1990s, the house I grew up in did not have dial tone service.  Rotary only.  Dial tone cost an extra $5/month, and button style phones had a switch on them to switch them over to rotary style dialing, so they'd work.

All the phone connectors in the house (both of them!) had the old style four prong connectors, too.

Haha, I remember playing with that switch as a kid.  When you dialed instead of a tone for each button it replicated the tik-tik-tik-tik-tik of the rotary.  I found this very fascinating.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/22/21 10:10 p.m.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/22/21 10:11 p.m.

I used to entertain myself tapping the button that hangs up the phone to emulate rotary dialing. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
3/22/21 10:11 p.m.

1 ... 494 495 496 497 498 ... 1737

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BqZvPQslUeV0a6SfziXY9s4UuGs8vVRrfA55trA8S8pZoFgaBpA7ShNL22kA0Dtr