1 ... 443 444 445 446 447 448
mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/5/24 9:03 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I might have to give my kid up for adoption.

Those that know me ought to know I really don't care about ones life choices. Gay, straight, religious, non, ford, chevy, bmx, road, football, football, whatever. 

But my kid apparently prefers 5-8 club over Matt's. I'm not sure I can abide by that. 

I've never had a Jucy Lucy anywhere but Matt's, but I can understand this. It is one of 5* burgers I've had that are impossible to improve upon. 

*Not including an Oklahoma onion burger, which I've only made myself. And 2 of the burgers are really the same - the two restaurants fight over who did it first and who did it better, to me the only difference is whether you have a beer or a milkshake with it. One is a bar, the other a diner. 

After 2 years of using a corded electric mower, I broke down and bought a gas powered self-propelled mower.

The 13A 21" Greenworks electric mower worked great for our postage stamp sized yard in Florida. I bought a heavy duty 100' 12/3 extension cord for it and could reach every corner of the property. The cord wasn't much of a hassle; it was like running a corded vacuum cleaner. The mower had plenty of power. Sure it would bog down in tall, wet grass but so would any gas mower under 25hp. Maintenance was cleaning the motor vent holes out once per season.

But our yard in NM is different. It's marginally larger but is more bumpy. There are stumps leftover from when the shrubs were chopped down. It has like 5 different types of grass and weird vine-like weeds. There are random holes in the ground. The extension cord gets caught on everything. I get so angry that I give up after getting the front yard cut and not cut the back yard.

So I broke down and bought a 22" Toro Recycler from LowesDepot. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow. Good timing too as we have had lots of rain the past week and the lawn is growing like crazy. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/24 7:31 p.m.

Work continues to sick, and I have to cancel plans as hours and days of change.  My girlfriend has been good about it and keeps saying that I only have a few years left until I can retire and do anything I want.  No one in my family has ever retired, and the shape I'm in physically and mentally I don't see myself breaking that streak. 

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
7/16/24 8:56 p.m.

Based on the past week or so of involuntary unemployment I am going to flunk retirement hard.  It would help if it wasn't 90 degrees with a 72+ degree dew point, I've got several outdoor projects I can do but I'm not going to the the ER with heat stroke. Cripes....

In reply to 11GTCS :

As an elder millennial, my retirement plan is either the downfall of society or I die before retirement age. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/24 10:31 p.m.

Tomorrow morning, I'm buying a very large part for a very old car that I neither own, nor do I intend to own. 

But I have a plan. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
7/17/24 11:42 a.m.

I bought a boat tail. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/18/24 10:58 a.m.

Last night, I encountered a socio-political situation that I would really like to discuss here on this forum.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/18/24 11:34 a.m.
Duke said:

Last night, I encountered a socio-political situation that I would really like to discuss here on this forum.

There must be people just a-bustin' at the seams to go all patio after the last month or so.laugh

I know I am.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/18/24 12:28 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Duke said:

There must be people just a-bustin' at the seams to go all patio after the last month or so.laugh

I know I am.

I get the forum rules and why they are the way they are but it would be nice to at least be able to talk about something and say "holy crap, can you believe that happened?"

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/18/24 8:51 p.m.

But we all know those things are lucky to see 2 pages before BlArRrAgGGhh-LOCK.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
7/18/24 8:52 p.m.
Duke said:

I've had a few good ones as well. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/19/24 7:24 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yeppers.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
7/19/24 7:48 a.m.

My first day working as a consultant at Microsoft! All going extremely well apart from tripping over a cable. I'm 99% sure I plugged it back in the right socket though.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
7/19/24 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Wrong thread??

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/24 9:20 a.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

In reply to 11GTCS :

As an elder millennial, my retirement plan is either the downfall of society or I die before retirement age. 

Set goals. 

Be the cause of the downfall of society in your retirement.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/19/24 9:27 a.m.

I have never been happier to be a former IT worker.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/19/24 10:39 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Wrong thread??

Nope!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/19/24 10:53 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Wrong thread??

He's making a joke referring to the Global tech outage on Microsoft Windows computers caused by a faulty update from cyber security firm CrowdStrike. It has wrecked havoc on a plethora of industries including banking, airlines, 911 call centers, hospitals, and communications/media. 

See the wikipedia article for a decent rundown of it. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/24 11:01 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

My first day working as a consultant at Microsoft! All going extremely well apart from tripping over a cable. I'm 99% sure I plugged it back in the right socket though.

Man the paperwork and meetings once when someone stumbled over a cable and, not chasing it down, plugged it into the wrong port. An infinite loop was created which brought down our local site's internet for a short while until the cause was discovered. 
Clearly there should have been failsafes and they were implemented as a result, but since our site had reported a severity 1 outage for a time, it went all the way up to the top.  I think the paperwork and follow up meetings took longer than the outage. 

--not to say I don't get it; it's a fool who repeats his [$$$ costly] mistakes, but it was annoying nevertheless

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/26/24 4:46 p.m.

I was a shiny happy person today and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

I drove two hours to look at a van. I had spoken with the lot owner the day before and it appeared to be a good enough deal to warrant the drive.  Before I left this morning I followed up and asked some very specific questions. One of them was price. I got there and he immediately quoted me a price higher than the ad, and what we'd discussed on the phone. I told him outright, no, and he responded that it wasn't negotiable. I had a good look anyway, convinced I could still get my price. It was a little rough around the edges, but certainly nothing that I couldn't fix. Driving, it had a pull to the right. I have a hard and fast rule on used cars, I do not even consider cars that pull. That coupled with the BS on the pricing, I'm out. We drove back, he went in to the office while I was mock looking. I put the (both) keys in my pocket, hopped in my car and drove away.

Two minutes later I get a call.

POS dealer: I can't find the keys  to the van, do you have them?

PB: I don't think so... silence

POSD: Well I need those keys, see if you have them

PB: I'm driving right now, I'll look, and if I have them I'll mail them to you

POSD: Now freaking out - I can't wait for you to mail them, they'll tow the van away where it's parked.

PB:  You shouldn't have told me to park there... silence

POSD: Now screaming in desperation, where are you? I'll drive there and pick up the keys, you must've forgotten, check your pocket

PB: I'm not sure where I am really, Markham road I think, I'm not familiar with this area.

I had actually stopped for lunch, and was doing everything I could to sound dumb and innocent. Of course one was easier than the other. but I let this go on for 40 minutes. I kept telling him if I found them I'd put them in the mail, he was absolutely losing his mind. He was calling me constantly and I would only answer one out of about every 3-4 calls, act dumb, and hang up.

I eventually went back, not answering any of his calls on the way, pulled in to the lot, and when he saw me he came running out. I said hey, everybody makes mistakes sometimes, he responded, oh I never accused you of anything, and I said, no, I'm talking about you. Lying to me about the price and raising it after I'd driven two hours was a mistake. Here's your keys you berkeleying piece of E36 M3, and I threw them at him, hopped in my car and drove away.

I have a low tolerance for BS

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/29/24 9:44 a.m.

I've been trying not to buy parts for a "maybe", and have been doing well for quite a while. This past weekend, though, I spent about $1000 on parts at the junkyard and FB marketplace.  At least this winter, I am likely to install the cylinder heads and torque converter on the S10, but everything else I snagged has me looking for another project...

Woody (Forum Supportum)
7/29/24 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

So... you're saying they didn't have a storm drain on the dealer's lot?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/30/24 2:02 a.m.

I just bought another huge bizarre videoconferencing setup. The total number of bizarre huge videoconferencing setups I need? Zero. But just look at the thing. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/1/24 2:08 p.m.

I've started taking the New York Opinion Surveys, and I'm answering honestly, but I imagine there is someone reading my results, scratching their head, going "Is there anyone that this guy is happy with?"

1 ... 443 444 445 446 447 448

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dLReun3SpgstSdQO3rB6Zp7NuJnQ9Q2n7Pn0us3pgJ7XahhLue4md3UzduDQANTd