1 ... 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 ... 2016
gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/9/23 11:32 a.m.

Just spent an obscene amount of money on AN fittings and braided line. why is this E36 M3 so expensive?

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
11/9/23 11:38 a.m.

I've seen three cars this week driving around in the pitch black with no taillights on...

Since it's dark at 5pm now, the amount of opportunity we are driving in the abyss has increased but I assume these folks think their full lights are on because of the bright running lights and the dash light up. I kind of wish the dash did not fully illuminate and is tied to the taillights so it is more obvious then just small green indicator lights that your full compliment of lights are on. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
11/9/23 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Not as fast as Kevin James does.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 11:42 a.m.

Old_Town said:

I've seen three cars this week driving around in the pitch black with no taillights on...

That is a berking epidemic in my region.  I'll see at least three cars like that during tonight's drive home - 11 miles.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 11:42 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to Duke :

Not as fast as Kevin James does.  

No argument there at all.

volvoclearinghouse
11/9/23 11:48 a.m.
Old_Town said:

Since it's dark at 5pm now, the amount of opportunity we are driving in the abyss has increased but I assume these folks think their full lights are on because of the bright running lights and the dash light up. I kind of wish the dash did not fully illuminate and is tied to the taillights so it is more obvious then just small green indicator lights that your full compliment of lights are on. 

If we just went back to cars that had a berkeleying knob you pulled out to turn the lights on, and pushed in to turn them off, and get rid of all this automatic crap that doesn't berkeleying work and confuses people, we'd be a whole lot better off.  Left your lights on when you turned off the car?  Too berkeleying bad, guess you don't get to drive anymore.  

One thing I would do it have the lights connected to wipers.  When the wipers come on, so do the lights.  Why doesn't every car company do this?  Since, like, the invention of the windshield wiper?

And if you turn your hazzard lights on, your car's speed is limited to 5 mph.  I'm sick of idiots running hazzards driving 50 mph in the rain.  No E36 M3, it's raining, I can see that!  I didn't need an epileptic seizure to remind me of the precipitation.

Don't even get me started on high beams.  Bring back the floor dipper!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/9/23 11:51 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

One thing I would do it have the lights connected to wipers.  When the wipers come on, so do the lights.  Why does no car company do this?

My Grand Caravan does that. Pretty sure it's a common feature in a lot of cars.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/23 12:07 p.m.

Only two seasons of Barney Miller on streaming. Guess I gotta hope I can find an active torrent. Maybe I can get the wife to shutoff NCICSIUSVU:Las Miami York to watch a cop show that ISN'T a carbon copy of every other cop show on TV.

Although Scrubs and Becker didn't fix the autistic (the good doctor is autistic, this isn't a dig) drunken shiny happy person doctor show problem. 

Good on the "writers" for managing to sell the same exact show a hundred different ways though. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/9/23 12:17 p.m.

The problem with cars driving without lights are that the daytime running lights have gotten so berkeleying bright that they work as headlights. So daytime lights are on, the driver thinks the headlights are on because they can see ahead of them, and anybody from behind is SOL. 

Related to this: The dash and display are all electronic now. So they're actually brighter during the day, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to see them against the sunlight. It is the only way I know my Mom's old car didn't have the headlights on, I'd be blinded by the display lights inside. But most people don't seem to be bothered by that, judging by how bright they have their phones.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
11/9/23 12:22 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

There's some great Euro crime drama shows streaming on Prime and Netflix...  Check out Forbrydelsen, Pagan Peak, Deadwind, Arctic Circle... there's some others.  Most are best in the original languages with subtitles.  The voice actors in the English dubbed versions suck.  Also, Safe and Case Histories are British crime dramas.  All of these are better than the typical US shows.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/23 12:32 p.m.

WTF is wrong with people? Do they just not think? Even when you do your best to save them from their own stupidity, they still manage to berkeley it up. 

That $1000 door panel was completely surrounded by that huge pallet for a berkeleying reason knucklehead. All of that extra wood and protection is there to keep your Neanderthal ass from damaging a custom-sized, custom-finished panel. I pay an extra for the pallets for a reason. What made you think that removing a pre-finished wood door from the pallet and stuffing it  in the back of a freight truck was a good idea? I know that big pallet means you have to put on your big boy pants and drive the big boy truck but it would have saved you a grand today. I would suggest leaving all future shipments on the pallets.

If you need someone to install that new door panel you just bought, give me a shout. I might know a guy. 

wae
wae PowerDork
11/9/23 12:53 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

My automatic lights and rain-sensing wipers are tied in such that if the wipers are running at a certain frequency -and I'm not sure what that is exactly - the lights come on. 

When I'm semi-benevolent dictator of the world, DRLs will be punishable by death.  And any car that has a gauge cluster and/or instrument lighting that is always on when the car is running will be required to have automatic headlights.  Turn off the auto-headlights and you also lose all dash illumination.

It will also be permissible to drag anyone out of their car and give them three whacks across the face with a wooden yardstick if they pass more than two cars while their brights are on.

Oh, yeah, and I will absolutely implement your 5mph hazard light restriction.  Genius.  It seems like every time I'm in Florida and it rains, half the cars down there are running around with their flashers on.  WTF people?

Toyman!
11/9/23 12:55 p.m.
Duke said:
Toyman! said:

Modern TV is only good for one season. Maybe two. Then they jump the shark and it goes downhill fast.

You do know the origin of the term "jump the shark", right?

It was coined about an episode of a popular TV show that aired... 45 years ago.

I do. Not all of the older shows were great. Not all of the newer shows are terrible though they do seem to head that way after a season or two. 

The biggest difference between the two is shows in the 80s-90s were written to stand on their own. Today's shows are written so the season of 10 shows is required to get the entire story and wrap up the plots. I don't want to dedicate that amount of time or energy to a TV show. Add to that the seeming requirement to inject some social education and I really don't have any interest in watching them. 

Give me something like MASH or The Fall Guy. Uncomplicated and wrapped up in under an hour. While they did on occasion push social boundaries, they were much more subtle about it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 1:20 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Add to that the seeming requirement to inject some social education and I really don't have any interest in watching them. 

Give me something like MASH [...]. Uncomplicated and wrapped up in under an hour. While they did on occasion push social boundaries, they were much more subtle about it.

M*A*S*H was nearly 100% dedicated to injecting social education.  It was still funny, entertaining, and short, granted.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 1:56 p.m.

While trying to avoid being overtly political:

I am getting positively hammered by increasingly-desperate spam texts from one particular major party.  5-10 per day.  Most of them address me as "Patriot".

I'm not buying your bullE36 M3, so knock it off.  I'm not buying the other side's bullE36 M3, either, but they at least have the decency to leave me alone.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/9/23 2:12 p.m.

Woke up feeling more off than usual.  Realized it's the 12 year anniversary of my dad's death. 

Toyman!
11/9/23 2:21 p.m.
Duke said:
Toyman! said:

Add to that the seeming requirement to inject some social education and I really don't have any interest in watching them. 

Give me something like MASH [...]. Uncomplicated and wrapped up in under an hour. While they did on occasion push social boundaries, they were much more subtle about it.

M*A*S*H was nearly 100% dedicated to pushing social boundaries.  It was still funny, entertaining, and short, granted.

FTFY. They didn't tell you what to think, they just wanted you to think, and they did it in a way that was funny and irreverent to all involved. They literally led you to the irreverent middle ground and left you there catching your breath.

MASH wasn't written to discomfort, but to entertain and if your laughter helped stretch some barriers, so much the better. Today's writers would never write in Clinger as comedic relief, no more than they would write Blazing Saddles. 

Clinger would be a murder victim and Blazing Saddles would be racial gang warfare. 

volvoclearinghouse
11/9/23 2:29 p.m.
Duke said:

While trying to avoid being overtly political:

I am getting positively hammered by increasingly-desperate spam texts from one particular major party.  5-10 per day.  Most of them address me as "Patriot".

I'm not buying your bullE36 M3, so knock it off.  I'm not buying the other side's bullE36 M3, either, but they at least have the decency to leave me alone.

It's really odd...we both live in states that are not going to be battleground states at all in 2024, yet I've been getting political mailers for months now.  

wae
wae PowerDork
11/9/23 2:37 p.m.

I am stuck in this awful "introduction to programming" course.  I guess the point of the exercise is to make this incredibly verbose series of if...else statements.  But a simple match...case would get the same results with a lot less typey-typey and much cleaner and easier-to-read code.  Somehow they've managed to convince the python interpreter in the lab that match...case doesn't exist anymore.  I realize that we're not to the point where you've taught that yet, but can't I just sort of skip to the end since I'm sure that's what you're building up to anyway?

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/9/23 2:46 p.m.

If I get one more PDI I'm leaving my job.  Toolboxes have wheels for a reason lol.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/23 4:04 p.m.
wae said:

When I'm semi-benevolent dictator of the world, DRLs will be punishable by death.  And any car that has a gauge cluster and/or instrument lighting that is always on when the car is running will be required to have automatic headlights.  Turn off the auto-headlights and you also lose all dash illumination.

I'd disagree on the DRLs- I seem to remember that here have been plenty of studies showing that they considerably reduce accident rates and if nothing else they make is so that if someone does forget to turn on their lights that at least they're not completely invisible. I do think that there need to be limits on their brightness/color, and that should also apply to headlights being used on a road- especially on higher-sitting vehicles that will absolutely blind you if you're in a low-sitting car. I'm pretty certain there are DOT rules for the max height of headlights that far too many people driving massively-lifted trucks around here are clearly voilating.

Don't really disagree on the auto headlights and dash lighting- it can be very frustrating, especially if you're driving a car you're not wholly familiar with (like a rental car). I'd also accept a warning light on the dash that says, "LIGHTS ARE OFF" that is lit any time the vehicle is turned on and the lights are not on.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/9/23 4:06 p.m.

Didn't get a job I thought I was a shoo-in for, whomp whomp. I even put a collared shirt on, it's messed up

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
11/9/23 4:22 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Sorry to hear. It's excruciating right now. The process is: apply, have someone from HR do a screening, then multiple interviews, then to be turned down or ghosted. Then the process starts over again. I'm exhausted. 

I reallly want to call out this one company on LinkedIn. They keep posting about how bad they need qualified people. So why did you flat out ghost me after 3 interviews? They didn't even respond to my follow up email. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/9/23 5:27 p.m.
RevRico said:

Only two seasons of Barney Miller on streaming. Guess I gotta hope I can find an active torrent. Maybe I can get the wife to shutoff NCICSIUSVU:Las Miami York to watch a cop show that ISN'T a carbon copy of every other cop show on TV.

Although Scrubs and Becker didn't fix the autistic (the good doctor is autistic, this isn't a dig) drunken shiny happy person doctor show problem. 

Good on the "writers" for managing to sell the same exact show a hundred different ways though. 

Lucifer is surprisingly fun if its your speed and you want cop adjacent. Takes a few episodes to get really hooked. 

Rant. 

I am a engineer not a professional manager, if you want me to manage then a lot of that is letting me keep E36 M3 from rolling downhill. Yeah your pissed off but telling the person your pissed at that you are does not help the situation. They are booked solid let them do their job and attack the problem in front of them. Everybody needs like 5 good things said for every bad thing before they shutdown and then it's a serious problem. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/9/23 6:15 p.m.

Rant.

I only just sat down since commenting this morning, and missed a discussion I would want to have been a part of. I really like old TV shows

1 ... 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hx30aA1PNAaZqGoeZ5kpNcwmQ4DOQaerdWZM0YeM2TQ9V5A2R3E2mF71wkvJMF5i