1 ... 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 ... 2016
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/23 5:41 a.m.

High speed pulse, pounding pressure headache, dizzy, stuffed up, chills and burning up at the same time. Great. Just what I need before Thanksgiving, especially when I have so much E36 M3 that needs to get done between now and Thursday afternoon. Thank you 8 year old biological weapons lab. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
11/21/23 9:46 a.m.

The annual 'We need to get this project out the door before the holidays' rush is on.  Tomorrow evening can't come soon enough.  

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
11/21/23 10:06 a.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

Same. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
11/21/23 10:45 a.m.

Last night, while baking cornbread, the (gas) oven refused to maintain temperature.  And today Mrs. VCH has to do all her baking for Thanksgiving, since we're leaving tomorrow morning to head up to my parents' house, 6 hours away. 

Having lived here for 10 years, and had this problem 3 times before, I diagnosed it as a bad igniter.  Called up the appliance parts place this morning, yep, they have one in stock, $62, drive 20 minutes each way to get it, half an hour to do the install, and boom, oven's working.   Soon the kitchen shall smell of pumpkin pies and baking apples.  

I mentioned to the guy at the parts store that this will be the 4th igniter I've replaced on this stupid oven in the 10 years we've lived here, and he said "Huh, that's odd, they usually last 5 to 7 years.  Do you do a lot of baking?"  "We use the oven almost every day.", I told him.  His response?  "That's...not normal.", after which he quickly apologized.  "No worries", I told him.  "I've never considered us 'normal'.".

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/21/23 11:18 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

My first thought was, That is pretty unusual. We use ours probably 3-4 times a week and it seems to be more often than most. But then I considered how often we are using the bread maker, toaster oven, and propane grill (as an oven), and it makes a lot more sense. 

Now the stove we probably use 2 times a day on average. Likely even more if you consider the side burner on the grill, and how many times we are using more than one burner. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
11/21/23 11:24 a.m.

It shouldn't be necessary to go to both Lowes AND Home Depot to get the stuff I need for a simple shelf project.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/21/23 12:10 p.m.

Our (excellent, independent) insurance agent has been warning us that car and property insurance rates are taking a big jump, and we just got the 2024 premium notice-- up 28%!

And that is with increases in the deductibles, and with the insurance company declaring they aren't covering any portion of damage to a 20 year old roof.

Scotty Con Queso
11/21/23 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

The cost of car and home insurance rates in Florida are one of the big reasons we aren't moving there.  And the state of the public schools.

The cost of my health insurance is going up $300/month next year, so I get a $3,500 pay cut for the new year! 

volvoclearinghouse
11/21/23 1:30 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Its seasonal.  In the summer, I tend to use the grill more, to keep the heat out of the house, and in the winter we use the oven almost exclusively, because it makes the kitchen toasty.  I'll make a casserole for breakfast, and we might have a roast for dinner, so we could use the oven multiple times per day.  

I told Mrs. VCh that our new kitchen needs to have an electric oven, and a gas stovetop.  I also told her this needs to happen before I have to replace another berkeleying igniter.   The gas stovetop is nice in case we loose power, we can still cook on it.  But a gas oven won't work with the power out, at least, not any oven made in the last 20 years.  

Scotty Con Queso
11/21/23 1:35 p.m.

Half rant half win. People are quick to anger on the internet. However, it's almost refreshing how fast the situation can be defused by saying you meant no I'll intent and wish that person a good day. 

volvoclearinghouse
11/21/23 1:59 p.m.
Rodan said:

It shouldn't be necessary to go to both Lowes AND Home Depot to get the stuff I need for a simple shelf project.

Especially when the reason you have to go to the Blue store is because all the lumber at the Orange store was crooked, broken, or moldy

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/21/23 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yeah, that sounds about right.  And true to form, it boarded me for real late Sunday, rendering me useless for work.  It's not enough to  render us bedridden, and I could be productive at work if I wasn't distributing germs like a lawn sprinkler.  It's just enough to keep us at home and occasionally make life deeply unpleasant.

Going over the last couple of pages, at least we have good local lumberyards and no road salt.  Maybe it's all a great big cosmic tradeoff.

volvoclearinghouse
11/21/23 3:27 p.m.

Let there be pie.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/23 5:34 p.m.

We have a gas range with an electric convection oven. I can strongly recommend. It is wonderful. 

wae
wae PowerDork
11/21/23 7:50 p.m.

I've got this 28.25lb turkey that a friend of mine raised, dispatched, processed, and froze for me.  I didn't get it until last Thursday and it was still frozen solid.  So that I can get it into the brine soon, I'm doing the quick thaw method of putting it in cold water and changing the water every 30 minutes.  I don't know how serial killers do it, but damn it's hard to get a body to stay submerged!

After a lot of experimentation, what's working is a chain over the breast with a couple weights on either end plus a few more weights sealed in a ziplock back and stuffed into the cavity.  I can finally go back to calling him "Tom" instead of "Bob".

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/21/23 8:09 p.m.

Usually by this point of the season I have had most of a Costco pumpkin pie. My wife doesn't like pumpkin pie. I love it. I know it is an ode to mediocrity; the best pumpkin pie you've ever had wasn't that much better than the worst it is just an excuse to use nutmeg and copious amounts of whipped cream. But I'm still annoyed that I haven't had any pumpkin pie yet.

RevRico
11/21/23 8:17 p.m.
mtn said:
 I know it is an ode to mediocrity; the best pumpkin pie you've ever had wasn't that much better than the worst it is just an excuse to use nutmeg and copious amounts of whipped cream. 

Order these, have the little one help you plant them in the spring, then cook and clean them in the fall. Follow this recipe when they're ready. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
11/21/23 9:02 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Pumpkin pie is best pie. 

That said, I'm taking a hard hiatus from sugar until January at least, so I guess no pie is best pie. Sad, but ten lbs lighter so far. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/21/23 9:26 p.m.
wae said:

I've got this 28.25lb turkey that a friend of mine raised, dispatched, processed, and froze for me.  I didn't get it until last Thursday and it was still frozen solid.  So that I can get it into the brine soon, I'm doing the quick thaw method of putting it in cold water and changing the water every 30 minutes.  I don't know how serial killers do it, but damn it's hard to get a body to stay submerged!

After a lot of experimentation, what's working is a chain over the breast with a couple weights on either end plus a few more weights sealed in a ziplock back and stuffed into the cavity.  I can finally go back to calling him "Tom" instead of "Bob".

Quickrete on the feet, amirite?

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/21/23 9:40 p.m.

So Black Friday is all month now? And the sales suck?

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
11/21/23 10:05 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Yes, but the emails are endless...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/21/23 10:46 p.m.

What are we complaining is ruined because of woke now? NFL handshakes where they hug?

volvoclearinghouse
11/21/23 10:58 p.m.
P3PPY said:
wae said:

Quickrete on the feet, amirite?

I always wanted to be in the advertising room when all the "-cretes" were named. I imagine it going something like...

"Ok, we've got this product, see, it's concrete.  And it comes in a sack. What should we name it?"

"Sakrete"

"Ooh, yeah, good one. Ok, next, we got...ok...also concrete, but this stuff is quick setting..."

"Quickrete"

"Ok, awesome...*looks at watch*...so...I guess...martinis now?"

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
11/22/23 12:12 a.m.

T-ten days until the family converges on our town so we can caravan down to Anaheim and my siblings lack of automotive savvy is finally starting to be an issue. Brothers ride to the airport (NJ) tossed a spark plug today, and sisters van (ID) seems to have a bad alt. Neither issue would be more than a minor inconvenience for me, but they never had any interest in learning and don't have the scratch to have it just fixed easily. 

We'll get it figured out, but time is running out and I'm starting to get anxious. 

RevRico
11/22/23 7:42 a.m.

Oh bioweapon facility, you are most definitely a blood relative of my mother. I asked a yes or no question, all I need is a yes or no. What I don't need, and am in no shape to listen to today, is a 30 minute diatribe about whatever bullE36 M3 you're watching on your tablet that has nothing at all to do with my question. 

1 ... 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gfly8Vq5RaiRChIrnK94FJqyQRM5HaxDNPC3HF7g64iGoyNjKKtsN6cCRNGKu5kx