1 ... 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 ... 2014
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/29/24 7:48 p.m.

Kid brings his pick up truck in for a coolant leak.

Kid:" The wheels are big, so you can't turn the wheel too far."

64 year old me, who did stupid E36 M3 too: "But it's pretty, isn't it..."

1.5 turns lock to lock.  4  3 point turn events to make the 90 degree turn into the shop. 

Morons.  Vehicles are not supposed to be statues.

Edit for photo evidence.

We had another severe weather event roll through tonight. It produced a spotter-confirmed tornado that thankfully missed any populated areas. I was at work and had to shelter. It hailed golf ball sized hail for probably 30 minutes. Some were the size of baseballs. It walloped the base. I had to stay an hour and a half after my shift ended to wait out the weather.

My poor Maverick looks like a golf ball crying.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/30/24 9:42 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I hate it beyond all reason when I accidentally unlock the number lock key on my computer.  Takes me way too long to figure out.  Every time.

Especially since modern cordless keyboards don't keep the pilot light lit in order to extend battery life.

I do a lot of drafting, where text is traditionally in ALL CAPS.  Of course, all other correspondence is in sentence case, so I have to switch back and forth a lot.  I'm wearing out my caps lock key having to press it twice every time I need to type in drafting mode, because I can no longer tell at a glance if it is on.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/30/24 11:03 a.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

That happened to my wife's grandpa with an Olds 98. They cashed the insurance check and called the car "Dimples" for the next 22 years. 

In reply to mtn :

My coworker, a E36 M3box aficionado, was completely unbothered by weather. He drove his 1990 F150 which is more rust than paint. I gotta admit that I was a little jealous of his lack of caring. I miss having a beater truck. 

I got a better look at the Maverick this morning. It has dents everywhere. It even broke one of the tail lights. There is a good PDR place in town that can hopefully get all of the dents out.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/30/24 1:41 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

That sucks, I'm really sorry to hear it. Hail can be a monster sometimes.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/30/24 2:03 p.m.

I got too much E36 M3 to do to be sick, but im on my way to urgent care. Bet is sinus and upper respiratory infection 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/30/24 2:33 p.m.

My sister brought her car into work today for a state inspection, I get in it and can immediately hear that the rear brakes are metal-to-metal. *Sigh*. I could maybe accidentally miss a torn wiper blade or a plate lamp bulb that's out or a little play in a tie rod. I can't let non-existent rear brakes slide though, not in good conscience.

In reply to dculberson :

Thanks. I guess I'm pretty fortunate since this is the first time and first vehicle that has ever suffered hail damage. It just sucks because it's a new vehicle that I actually care about. Of course it never happened to any of the multiple beaters I've had ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
5/30/24 3:02 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

i applaud your integrity (and that's not sarcasm). I once lived in an inspection state, and the amount of crap I saw on the road that still had a sticker was astounding. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/30/24 8:49 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I got too much E36 M3 to do to be sick, but im on my way to urgent care. Bet is sinus and upper respiratory infection 

I feel ya. My sinuses are pushing 21 pounds of boost right now.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/31/24 8:04 a.m.

In reply to budget_bandit :

Too risky. I know if she lost brakes and got in an accident, she wouldn't sue me, but what about if she T-bones someone and they decided to come after me? Too much liability.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/31/24 8:51 a.m.

Why did Facebook add a "suggested reels" section to my marketplace page? What does short form video content have to do with the E36 M3box cars I was looking at? 

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/31/24 10:09 a.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

At some point, despite having never ever ever shopped for anything even remotely like this, marketplace put a damned prom dress mixed in with my E36 M3boxes, RVs, and tool chests that make up my normal "Today's picks".  Because the page was still loading, when I went to click on something I was actually interested in, the page jumped and it opened the dress ad.  Whatever.  Now, despite the fact that I clicked on one dress ad and about eleventy billion car ads, Facebook is convinced that all I want to see are ads for used dresses.  wtf!?

So...  I thought, certainly, if I click on those ads and select the "hide this" or "show me less of this" option, they would stop, right?

hahaha.

I opened about a half dozen of them to do that and now my "Today's picks" is almost all damned prom dresses.

I used to be really worried about facebook tracking me and my habits, but I'm starting to think that maybe they're just not good at it.

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
5/31/24 10:14 a.m.
gixxeropa said:

Why did Facebook add a "suggested reels" section to my marketplace page? What does short form video content have to do with the E36 M3box cars I was looking at? 

It makes them more ad dollars.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/31/24 10:36 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I hate the page jump thing, which always happens right as you're clicking on something....

WRT strange things in your "recommendeds", try searching for Capris in Marketplace/Vehicles sometime...  all you're going to get is women's pants. 

WilD
WilD Dork
5/31/24 10:38 a.m.
gixxeropa said:

Good question and I'll pile on this rant from the other end.  Any item you list for sale now, FB strongly suggests you post a video.  The implication being that they won't show your ad to many people without it.  "Reach more people with video"  What complete and utter nonsense.  I was selling a bedside commode I had from a broken leg recovery period.  What lunatic wants to see a video of that?!  But really, video ads for random used stuff are berkeleying stupid.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
5/31/24 11:31 a.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

It makes me yearn for the days when craigslist was king. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/24 12:14 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

I occasionally have ads pop up in Marketplace of Lusciouus Lola's posing in a dress they claim to be selling.   

I don't think the dress is what they are selling...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/24 1:26 p.m.

I'm not a fan of the excursion, but holy berkeley the people coming to look at it are making me consider keeping it or just burning it down. 

"Why are you asking so much when it needs work?"

It's 22 years, 151k miles old, and you can see a $1500 price cut in the ad. What possibly makes you think it doesn't need work? How about you take the $4500 I'm asking to a dealership and get an oil change and set of tires instead if you want something that doesn't need work? Oh, you can't even get an oil change and a set of tires for what I'm asking at a dealership? Then maybe berkeley all the way off and come back down to earth with your expectations. Especially when pictures and descriptions of EVERYTHING are in the ducking ad you read in the first place. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/24 1:52 p.m.

Bonus rant. In the past 72 hours, I have made well over 100 trips up and down the stairs in my house. 12 steps, the top one is an inch higher than all the rest. And yes, after 4 years I still forget the top step is an inch higher.

That's entirely to much stair climbing. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/24 3:39 p.m.

A nice Sunday completely ruined. berkeley you, sinuses.

Hotel parking fees are the new airline baggage fees; completely ridiculous and a blatant money grab.

You are charging me nightly to park at YOUR hotel where I have a room at. $15 a night is completely berkeleying ridiculous. Where else am I going to park? The Walmart down the block?

But, I'm not the one paying it. I'm back in Ft. Walton Beach for a Sec+ class on the company's dime. They paid for airfare, rental car and hotel so I can't bitch too hard.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/2/24 7:54 p.m.
wae said:

In reply to gixxeropa :

At some point, despite having never ever ever shopped for anything even remotely like this, marketplace put a damned prom dress mixed in with my E36 M3boxes, RVs, and tool chests that make up my normal "Today's picks".  Because the page was still loading, when I went to click on something I was actually interested in, the page jumped and it opened the dress ad.  Whatever.  Now, despite the fact that I clicked on one dress ad and about eleventy billion car ads, Facebook is convinced that all I want to see are ads for used dresses.  wtf!?

So...  I thought, certainly, if I click on those ads and select the "hide this" or "show me less of this" option, they would stop, right?

hahaha.

I opened about a half dozen of them to do that and now my "Today's picks" is almost all damned prom dresses.

I used to be really worried about facebook tracking me and my habits, but I'm starting to think that maybe they're just not good at it.

The youtube on my TV, coming through a firestick, is making my life miserable with trying to convince me I need to set up a profile and log in to get my best experience.

So, the 12 suggestions you give me repeatedly on the home page suggest the quality of your algorithm.  You want me to pay you, based on the entirely rotten job you do there.

Nope.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
6/2/24 8:12 p.m.

Company announced they are closing our site this week, some of its capabilities will be relocated to another site.  In a pretty bleak way, paraphrasing:

"We expect/plan to lose 50% of you...if more than 50% want to go, we are happy if it works out.  But don't expect any special treatment, we are happy to hire locally at the new location."

The meeting was <5 minutes.  So yeah, that was a real pick me up.  The small silver lining is I have a spot...do I move halfway across the country, or look at alternatives?  As an added bonus, we did all this with another site closure 5 years ago, and it was handled with about the same amount of compassion and planning.  I am truly conflicted about my career path forward.  Too soon to retire, but I have a couple other opportunities on the east coast, as well as a business idea or two if I want to strike out on my own, or I could stick it out with current megacorp. 

1 ... 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 ... 2014

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
50bDES2vfx1BW9EndHZ617hBLMZGIQIrFRmvgHXoIXBP8vpk2fDgOMIJae7boCew