alfadriver MegaDork
10/26/17 2:00 p.m.

I am so freaking scared of dental work. 

Getting a filling today. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/26/17 2:05 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I used to hate dental work, too.  But I figured out that putting up with it once in a while meant less work in the long run.  Honestly, I just willed myself to relax and think about other stuff.  It's just one of those things that fretting makes worse.

You can get through it... and a filling today is a crown or root canal you don't need next year.  You got this, man.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
10/26/17 2:07 p.m.

I got a filling this week. Zero pain throughout the whole process, but being a frequent dremel user still had me pretty tensed up the whole time. 

Rant: Good car guy and mentor passed this week. Without him our Mustang restoration would probably still be ongoing.  Going take the car out in his honor tonight. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/26/17 3:49 p.m.

I survived.  But will get a crown in 6 months or so... Oh, well.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
10/26/17 4:07 p.m.

Something reported to my supervisor got turned around when reported to another supervisor and my coworker . Made it look like i said they weren't doing jack E36 M3, which is NOT what was said at all.

berkeleying hate office bullE36 M3.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/26/17 4:32 p.m.

I've been fumbling through this job for over two years. I still don't have a grasp on what I'm doing. I don't think I'm cut out for survey work.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
10/26/17 6:56 p.m.

I have concluded the the LS1tech.com forum has more and worse putzes than miata.net.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/17 7:13 p.m.

I have one vehicle that uses GM's Dexcool, my work truck. I have a gallon of it in my shop just in case. 

I came home today and my 18 yo proudly told me he checked the oil and coolant levels in the P71. The coolant was at the bottom of the reservoir so he topped it off. 

With Dexcool. frown

So we got to spend a couple of hours flushing the coolant system on the P71 and learning a valuable lesson about differences in coolant types. 

I couldn't even be mad about it. He did good by taking responsibility for the vehicle he drives the most, and I never told him about the coolant differences. So I guess in a roundabout way, this was my fault. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
10/26/17 7:25 p.m.

My rant: who thought dexcool was a good idea in the first place? I blame it for a lot of perceived quality issues with gm.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/17 7:39 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

My rant: who thought dexcool was a good idea in the first place? I blame it for a lot of perceived quality issues with gm.

I place some of the quality issues with dexcool, the rest was just them cutting corners to make things as cheap as possible... like the plastic intake gaskets on the 3400

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
10/26/17 7:45 p.m.

Dexcool wasnt bad enough, now you need dexo's certified oil. 

My minor rant for today is customers who start a conversation with my son/son in law/uncle etc are a mechanic and they say that oil leak you pointed out isnt an issue. I didnt claim it was an issue, i just pointed it out so you didnt try to blame our company for it.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/17 8:01 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I have terrible teeth.  Luckily except for one root canal and a wisdom tooth that had roots wrapped around an eye socket modern dentistry has been utterly painless.  I just wish something could be done about the burning tooth smell.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
10/26/17 8:18 p.m.

Been going through dental stuff myself for several years. Seems when young and brushing regularly with a stiff brush and pushing hard wears away gum line and enamel on the teeth. Has caused issues now that I'm older. Crowns, fillings on the side and cleaning every 3-6 months, deep cleaning at least once a year now. Couple years ago I had to have a root canal, 3 months ago that tooth fell out, now going through implant process and get the tooth next week. Also had an old crown removed last week and have a temp crown now, will get the permanent crown next week too. At least supposed to, Dentist was saying might need a root canal on that tooth before the permanent crown. Hope not, aren't fun. Tried to take care of my teeth and paying for it now.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/26/17 8:29 p.m.

You haven't lived life until you've wore braces for 3 years and then had BSSO surgery.

Braces really put a damper on your romantic life when you are a newly divorced, 31 year old man frown.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/26/17 8:35 p.m.

You guys are making me cringe. Like curled toes cringing. 

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/17 8:46 p.m.
mad_machine said:
Dusterbd13 said:

I place some of the quality issues with dexcool, the rest was just them cutting corners to make things as cheap as possible... like the plastic intake gaskets on the 3400

My rant:  People who blame GM's crappy intake gaskets on Dexcool.

I've replaced a whole lot of 3.8/4.2 Ford intake gaskets that are just as crappy as the 3.1/3.4/4.3/5.0/5.7 gaskets, that say it's not a Dexcool problem.

Actually, that's kind of a lie.  Usually when those gaskets fail on a Ford, they dump coolant into the #4 intake port and make that rod a little short on a cold start after the leak gets big enough.  So I guess technically I've replaced the gasket as part of an engine replacement.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/17 8:48 p.m.

New rant:  People who add letters to works that don't belong.

Specifically, people who talk about Dextron transmission fluid or Dexacool coolant.  Now there are three (maybe more) flavors of Dexos oil.  (What I think of as low performance 5W30, high performance 5W30, and 0W20) 

What will those be called, Dextrose?  I heard that oil works pretty sweet.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
10/26/17 10:03 p.m.
Knurled said:

Specifically, people who talk about Dextron transmission fluid or Dexacool coolant.  Now there are three (maybe more) flavors of Dexos oil.  (What I think of as low performance 5W30, high performance 5W30, and 0W20) 

What will those be called, Dextrose?  I heard that oil works pretty sweet.

That dexos also has a 5w20 variety. The 2.5 in the malibu's require it.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
10/26/17 10:47 p.m.

And every explanation I've heard about the DEXOS rating sounds like pure technical BS.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/27/17 7:27 a.m.

Dexos has some very specific requirements, the most important of which is to allow GM to decline timing chain warranty claims if you don't use it.  Second most important is to get the timing chains just through the warranty period.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
10/27/17 9:05 a.m.

My teeth a junk, I got my first crowns at 20 and by now have enough invested in my dental work that I could be driving a very nice M3 if my choppers were good from the factory.  Heck, after the double implant and bridge I got a few years I've been making payments that just got finished up last month.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/27/17 9:21 a.m.
Knurled said:

The one I run across all the time professionally is "masonary".  It's masonry.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/27/17 9:38 a.m.
Duke said:
Knurled said:

The one I run across all the time professionally is "masonary".  It's masonry.

Foreigners are the worst. Keep adding "u" to everything. Neighbour. Honour.

It is really terrible behavior, and puts me in a bad humor, even making it hard for me to savor my food while overlooking the glamorous harbor.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
10/27/17 10:16 a.m.

All set to replace the rusty DS floor on the 318ti, metal is cut out, patch panel made, let's get the welder and... the tank is magically empty.  Tractor Supply, you berkeleying berkeleys, berkeley you and your berkeleying leaky ass tank exchange program.  Now I have to figure out how to get there and back when the only running car has no floor.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/27/17 10:56 a.m.

I haven't gene able to afford a dentist check up in over 9 years. You have to go to the dentist?  I wish I had your problems.

1 ... 699 700 701 702 703 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AdgS1LeDeKpMFhH6TCOgIVlDp7jJT7Idbf9JtY4TMFigobHhHz4swppOMgm7I5Gv