fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/3/17 1:21 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

OCC

Apple Cougar Mellonseed
Apple Cougar Mellonseed MegaDork
11/3/17 1:21 p.m.

Gas prices around Chicago have gone up.  Aren't they supposed to do the opposite once summer is over?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/17 1:58 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
mad_machine said:

I have an ear infection and the ringing in that ear is driving me crazy

Just ringing? This should be in the Good Mood thread! When you get the "alien parasite's eating my brain and there's nothing I can do about it" pain, then you can complain.

Went through that already, now I have the "there's water in my ear phase" where the infection is drying out and sloshing around and if I hold my head at just this weird angle, I can hear perfectly

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/3/17 2:19 p.m.

I had someone pull a firearmin me today. The rant? I still have to work with him.

eastside Utah John Cougar Montana
eastside Utah John Cougar Montana SuperDork
11/3/17 2:22 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

I had someone pull a firearmin me today. The rant? I still have to work with him.

Can’t call the cops on him?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/3/17 2:35 p.m.
Apple Cougar Mellonseed said:

Gas prices around Chicago have gone up.  Aren't they supposed to do the opposite once summer is over?

California increased its gas tax 12 cents on Wednesday from 29.7 to 41.7.  The diesel tax went up 20 cents and somehow, they mandated that the sales tax on diesel be 13% regardless of what the county’s sales tax rate for non-fuel items is…I have no idea how that’s even possible but more importantly, it’s blatantly, in your face, just bite me, deceptive.

In fairness, California’s weather is right up there with Minnesota’s for harshness allowing something like only 355 days per year that road work can be performed and California’s population density per mile of roadway is ultra-low, I mean it’s probably worse even than North Dakota so it’s understandable that California should charge astronomically high gas taxes given the huge challenges the state faces. sad

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/3/17 3:36 p.m.

In reply to eastside Utah John Cougar Montana :

Involuntary commitment for homicidal ideations. I'm a mental health clinician.

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
11/3/17 3:39 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Part of why I got out of that state. Twice

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/3/17 6:11 p.m.

Mom was admitted to the local hospital two days ago w/ a UTI and touch of pneumonia. She's been in a nursing home for over 2.5 years following a stroke,  just a resident now after she failed her PT and OT. She's rather frail now but still responds pretty well to my Dad. Not so much to me anymore.

First night at the hospital, the afternoon physician reviewed DNR, DNI and an option of withholding IV fluids, antibiotics and meds (sounded as if withholding was actually their 'suggestion'). I told the lead nurse: why would we want to withhold antibiotics? She's only been here less than eight hours. The lead nurse got pretty snarky and replied: well, look at her condition and she IS 88 years old. The physician added: yeah, look at her weak condition. The nurse and physician acted like they were in previous agreement as in judge and jury. 

WTF !!!! She's HERE for treatment, age does not matter, I don't care if she's 100 do the treatment. Mom has had several UTI's, they kicked her butt but she always bounced back. Give the antibiotics time to work. Mom failed her swallow test so no food yet. The respiratory therapist did a treatment today and Mom perked up. The therapist followed w/ mouth swabs and suction, pulled some damn gnarly E36 M3 out. Mom was much more at ease now.

The senior physician wants Dad to choose tomorrow whether to keep treating or withhold IV fluids and antibiotics.  WTF ! three days and they wanna pull the plug. 

This berkeleying hospital is nothing more than a triage center. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/17 7:59 p.m.
dropstep said:

Whoever at gm decided there line of 3.6 powered SUV's was a good idea must drink heavily. Everything about servicing them is miserable. From oil filter location too trans line access. Dont forget that lovely feature were they pump 1/2 qt of oil into the intake tract every oil change. 

Trans lines aren't too terribly hard.  Remove the computer and they're right there.

I'd much rather do timing chains on a 3.6 SUV than just about anything at all on a Dustbuster minivan, or the SUVs based on it (Aztec/Rendezvous/etc).  Pulling the trans from a 3.4l Rendezvous is Kafkaesque in how everything is in everything else's way.  Reminded me of the turbo Isuzu that I used to own.  Mitsubishi would have been proud.

At least with the 3.6, you're paid to drop the drivetrain out to do most major work, so there's your excuse to do it.

(Today I did the coolant monsterpus in a 3.5l Dodge Journey with rear heat.  Coolant Y broke and Chrysler sells it as a complete assembly that spans the length of the engine bay and most of its width, and it is behind and under everything.  Disconnecting the A/C is mandatory, as is removing the upper intake manifold, and I barely managed to get it out and in without removing some engine mounts and dropping the engine down a few inches so the forward pipe could clear the ABS unit, which is shoved into a really bad spot if IT ever goes bad)

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/17 8:01 p.m.
RX Reven' said:
Apple Cougar Mellonseed said:

California increased its gas tax 12 cents on Wednesday from 29.7 to 41.7.  The diesel tax went up 20 cents and somehow, they mandated that the sales tax on diesel be 13% regardless of what the county’s sales tax rate for non-fuel items is…I have no idea how that’s even possible but more importantly, it’s blatantly, in your face, just bite me, deceptive.

In fairness, California’s weather is right up there with Minnesota’s for harshness allowing something like only 355 days per year that road work can be performed and California’s population density per mile of roadway is ultra-low, I mean it’s probably worse even than North Dakota so it’s understandable that California should charge astronomically high gas taxes given the huge challenges the state faces. sad

40 cents is astronomically high?  That's cheaper than it was in the 80s.  The fuel taxes have been getting slashed and our infrastructure is suffering for it.

People in countries where fuel is taxed at 8ish dollars per gallon are laughing at the idea that 40c is "astronomical".

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/3/17 8:48 p.m.

I work.  Every day I get up and go take care of my hospital.

Tiger Mom works.  Every day she gets up and works at her facility (and for the last 4 years worked through night school to get her degree).

My ex doesn't work because her husband made big money until last year when he got laid off but continued to get paid till next month or so.  So he doesn't work.

Tiger Moms ex (and his new wife) don't work.  He draws a big disability check.

I feel like a sucker for not figuring out ways to game the system.

Apple Cougar Mellonseed
11/3/17 8:58 p.m.

It's not the price, it's the jump. $.35 in less than a month.

Apple Cougar Mellonseed
11/3/17 9:04 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I know exactly how you feel.  A buddy of mine figured out a way to get the state to pay for 4 babies. He's now a principal of Catholic high school. Dafuq?

Remind yourself the same thing I do when I think about things like this. You'd feel so scummy knowing you're a leach not pulling your weight. Integrity is not a thing you can swindle or cheat. Earn it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/3/17 10:47 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

Find somebody.  Wether a therapist, priest, or bartender, find SOMEONE. dont "be a man", talk about it with someone before it eats you. Please. 

Hell, you can call me if it'll help. 828-260-1254

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
11/4/17 7:40 a.m.

looks like I am laid up through the end of the year and am facing spinal surgery for a herniated disc. 

1 month laid up not able to be on my feet or sitting more than 45 minutes at a time so far, probably at least two more.  

This REALLY sucks. 

I need to figure out what exorcize I can do. Already lost a few pounds that I can't afford to. (6' and under 150lbs)

mad_machine
11/4/17 8:13 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

I need to figure out what exorcize I can do. Already lost a few pounds that I can't afford to. (6' and under 150lbs)

I suggest starting with minor demons, they are easier to hold and control than the full blooded ones

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/4/17 9:49 a.m.

Every day at work I have several honey bees that come visit me. They'll fly around checking things out, get a drink if water and come over and check me out. I'll say hi, ask how their day is and they'll fly off. Hell I've stuck my hand out and had them land on it before.  They are harmless.

Shop idiot comes over, sees one and starts freaking out while trying to kill it with his hat. 

I'm like, Dude, are you allergic?

No! I just hate bees! 

Well he's not bothering you leave him the berkeley alone! Just blow on him and he'll fly away.

berkeley that! It's gonna die!

So I start hitting him about the face and head with my hat asking how he likes it. Stop trying to kill my berkeleying bees dumbass!

Apple Cougar Mellonseed
11/4/17 10:00 a.m.

In reply to Mike :

We got you. Text me if you need to talk. 815-529-8704.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
11/4/17 10:45 a.m.

Sitting at the dealer getting the locking lug nuts removed from the truck I’ve owned since new because I can’t find the key. I’m hoping it’s only $40 like the dealer predicted. Frustrated a bit that the lug nut key wasn’t tied to the VIN to make it easier but more frustrated that I was stupid enough to lose it. 

Just told them to put on regular nuts as a replacement. THEN I can do the brake job I planned for this morning. 

-Rob

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
11/4/17 10:51 a.m.

Finally get the parts in too fix the exhaust on my ranger and have a killer sinus headache that gets worse if i look or lean down. Guess im dealing with the manifold leak for a few more days.

mad_machine
11/4/17 11:16 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

Every day at work I have several honey bees that come visit me. They'll fly around checking things out, get a drink if water and come over and check me out. I'll say hi, ask how their day is and they'll fly off. Hell I've stuck my hand out and had them land on it before.  They are harmless.

Shop idiot comes over, sees one and starts freaking out while trying to kill it with his hat. 

No! I just hate bees! 

Well he's not bothering you leave him the berkeley alone! Just blow on him and he'll fly away.

So I start hitting him about the face and head with my hat asking how he likes it. Stop trying to kill my berkeleying bees dumbass!

I am the same way, I thnk there is soemthing in the smell of my epoxy that brings them when I am sanding, I always get a couple hanging about.

W.Cougar Mellonballer The Third
W.Cougar Mellonballer The Third GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/17 5:58 p.m.

I was hoping the the sheepdog would tell me what time FEMA was shutting down the power grid so I could plan my evening but he has blocked me.  Oh well, it was fun arguing with someone I don’t know over things he doesn’t seem to understand.  I hope he’s not too disappointed he won’t be living out Red Dawn wet dream he’s been having since probably junior high.

mad_machine said:
Nick Comstock said:

No! I just hate bees! 

I am the same way, I thnk there is soemthing in the smell of my epoxy that brings them when I am sanding, I always get a couple hanging about.

Bees are fine. Friendly even. They are friendly because they have something to lose if they have to fight. Your co-worker is a frightened child. Guide him to the light - or put him down.

OTOH, Wasps and hornets are shiny happy people. I am their reckoning. I should probably be posting this in the "Well, that didn't take long" thread. PUI

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/17 6:29 p.m.

I stopped at one of the Wally World-level tire places today. Needed 2 new ones to get me through winter. The friggin kid broke the tupperware "ground effects" on the Matrix. When I got him and the manager outside to look at the damage, and explain that the point of those little bits you can flip up on a lift are exactly for this, the kid responds "I didn't even notice." Two sheet metal screws, and I'm more or less repaired. I know the kid probably only makes 8 bucks an hour, but I'm miffed. I told them I wasn't trying to squeeze money out of them, and was offered to be "taken care of" on my return visit for two more sweet Milestars.  Great.

1 ... 702 703 704 705 706 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZtYgAUDtlmLN8BodAmGf658ObNDVwsVgJmbQnOLnDZ19fbIydYEzo4MuTryfcG8s