1 ... 965 966 967 968 969 ... 2016
Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/19 4:54 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:
Duke said:

I loathe every Adobe product I am forced to use.

What specifically do you have to use? I've found Affinity Photo & Designer to work extremely well as budget Photoshop/Illustrator replacements.

Thanks for the tips!

Mostly I use Photoshop, InDesign, and Acrobat DC. 

Photosop isn’t too bad. InDesign  is fussy, not too bad to use, but plagued by printing, linking, and file saving issues that freeze it up. 

But Acrobat was programmed by - and behaves like - a crew of blind idiot robots. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/19 5:03 p.m.

I'm supposed to get an MRI due to my ongoing foot pain issues. MRI was scheduled for today and has been for over a week.

The MRI place has been waiting for my health insurance to approve the MRI for over a week and all they've heard is crickets for this time, so we had to move the MRI out by another week. Apparently they're used to that with this providers, but I'm pretty livid with this E36 M3 show given that I'm in rather noticeable pain when I'm on site at a client for a couple of days and have to walk and stand for a fair amount of time.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/10/19 5:04 p.m.
Duke said:
mtn said:

Jesus. I do NOT understand the egotism behind the hate of minivans. 

There is a sector of the population with an irrational hatred for 4-door cars, too.

I have heard one - ONE - individual actually give me a logical reason for their dislike.

I prefer 4-doors for lots of reasons. Four years ago I won a BMW M235i and took the cash because it was a 2-door.  Having said that, the doors on 2-door cars are often a bit longer than the front door on the 4-door version of the same car.  That should make ingress/egress easier for front seat passengers.

What was the reason given to you?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/19 5:06 p.m.

And for today’s rant:

A car I really wanted was languishing on a dealer leftover lot for almost  2 years. Finally decided to make a move on it... and it’s gone. 

Found a BETTER one, a bit farther away but still in range, lower asking price... listed as new, but actually a demo with 5000 miles on it and 2 years of the warranty used up. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/19 6:11 p.m.
fasted58 said:

The thread topic header needs to be larger print. 

Bwahaha didn't even see the problem until I got home, due to the stealth browsing mod on my work browser.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/19 6:35 p.m.
M2Pilot said:
Duke said:
mtn said:

There is a sector of the population with an irrational hatred for 4-door cars, too.

I have heard one - ONE - individual actually give me a logical reason for their dislike.

I prefer 4-doors for lots of reasons. Four years ago I won a BMW M235i and took the cash because it was a 2-door.  Having said that, the doors on 2-door cars are often a bit longer than the front door on the 4-door version of the same car.  That should make ingress/egress easier for front seat passengers.

2 doors are easier to get small kids in and out of the back than 4 doors once they go forward facing. 

But I'd still take sliding doors 8 days a week... #minivanlife

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/19 6:56 p.m.
mtn said:

You should give her a fork the next time she wants to have a bowl of soup, and a garlic press the next time she wants to chop onions. 

Cars are utilitarian to me but im not a huge fan of minivans mostly because i live in the woods.....anything that handles car like id rather be a car and if i wanted more cargo space an SUV makes more sense than an AWD minivan.

Some women dont like the stereotype hooked to them though, i once was told that minivans were driven by..." women that have already blown a few babies thru their baby cannons" 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/10/19 7:22 p.m.

Speaking of minivans, 3.5 hours ago i went to pull the wifesmazda5 in the shop fot figuring out the lean off idle code. It was so filthy it was pissing me off to even open the door. So, 3.5 hours later its washed witb daen and purple power, a trashcan is filled, the interiir is detailed. Next will be buffing and waxing. And mudflaps. Damn thing runs fine, just a cel. So instead of a not lit light, shes getting a 12 hour detail job and mudflaps for mothers day. 

Oh, and the scrapyard changed Saturday hours. So i have to get up at balls thirty tomorrow morning to get the city off my ass.

Im grumpy.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
5/10/19 8:36 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Edit - was supposed to quote whole thing. 

I love my CR-V for daily duty. For fun I generally prefer cars with 2 doors, I think they look better.

HOWEVER. My RX-8 is a 4 door and I love it's looks.

Many in my generation consider a proper hotrod to only have 2 doors. It's not irrational, it's preference. 

Think of it this way, why do you prefer blondes? There is nothing wrong with redheads, it's simply what turns your crank.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/10/19 8:51 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

When I needed a CT/MRI to see exactly what the ortho would have to do to fix my snapped Achilles a few years back, the insurance company wanted a stupid amount of documentation and literally denied it the first 2 tries because they didn't think it was necessary (!!!!!). In order to get it done in a timely manner so we could get on the schedule for surgery we ended up signing a form promising to pay for it out of pocket if the insurance refused to budge (which thankfully they did).

I truly loathe having to deal with insurance for anything...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/19 8:53 p.m.

In reply to M2Pilot :

The reason given to me is that the b-pillar on 2 door cars is farther back, so when driving with the windows open, the buffeting is not directly in your ear. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/19 8:57 p.m.
Javelin said:
M2Pilot said:
Duke said:
mtn said:

2 doors are easier to get small kids in and out of the back than 4 doors once they go forward facing. 

I’ve heard you say that before, but I never found that to be the case with my kids. As soon as I knew about the second one I ditched the 2-door and bought a 4-door. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/19 9:55 p.m.

I have a problem suspending reality on shows that try to be real life.  

The wife is finally spending more time at home at home and wants to catch up on some tv. Tonight we’re watching a few episodes of New Amsterdam and I have a bunch of problems. The head of the hospital was unconscious and they stole the pen/tracheotomy bit from MASH and now a few episodes later there is a blizzard and the doctors are wandering New York because ALL the ambulances are stuck.  There are some many reasons that this is implausible. Even in the worst of storms the hospitals get cleared, fire trucks and ambulances are chained, and there are several other measures taken.  Sending doctors and management out on foot carrying defibrillators and IV equipment seems like a level of berkeleyed up beyond a snow storm. 

Wally
5/10/19 10:10 p.m.

They’ve seen a total of three patients, one of them was an ODing employee, another is going to die anyway, and now the power has gone out and the generators aren’t coming on.  If they start circling jeeps to operate by headlight I’m done.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/10/19 10:12 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to M2Pilot :

The reason given to me is that the b-pillar on 2 door cars is farther back, so when driving with the windows open, the buffeting is not directly in your ear. 

That's just one of the reasons I have an irrational hatred of four door cars. I truly despise them. However I'm a huge fan of minivans. Unfortunately my wife has an irrational hatred of minivans. 

Wally
5/10/19 10:23 p.m.

Now they’re blaming the dead generator on a hurricane that happened 6 years ago and the only guy that fix it electrocuted himself. Thank God a murderer getting an MRI used to work for the power company.

Wally
5/10/19 10:52 p.m.

And the murderer escaped without fixing the generator.  

Wally
5/10/19 10:56 p.m.

He didn’t escape, he stole parts from the swimming pool pump to fix it.  Happily ever after except for the people that died in the storm.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/10/19 11:20 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

The worst part of the whole story here, is the knowledge that your wife has been away so long that you want to sit with her while she watches this drivel.  Be strong, brother.laugh

Wally
5/10/19 11:48 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

At least she watched Blue Bloods without me.  I can’t watch Magnum with those tiny glasses.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
5/11/19 2:14 a.m.

IDK if it's just a problem local to me but gosh is it hard to get a lawyer who wants to take my money.  

Not even anything complicated, just some paperwork!

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/19 6:16 a.m.

I really hate transitioning between midshift and day shift. It seems like I'm on nights for about a month, then I get stuck on days for a week, then its back to nights. I start a week of days on Monday, 0700-1900, so I was trying to stay up all day yesterday after I got off of work at 0700. I came home, surfed the web for a bit, decided to lay on my bed and surf on my phone because my crappy office chair hurts my back after awhile. I turned on the oscillating fan because my bedroom gets stuffy.

I guess I was more tired than I thought because I fell asleep, still clothed and still wearing my contacts with my bedroom light on. My alarm woke me up at 1645. I was dead to the world. I woke up and was totally freaked out because I thought I had overslept for work. Why else would I be dressed with my contacts in and my light on? Oh berk, thats right, I'm off for the next three days.

I had a bunch of stuff planned for today but since I've been up all night, I'll be a slug by 1000. Ugh.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/11/19 6:36 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

My dad was a fire protection engineer and would be annoyed in movies or TV when they popped a sprinkler head and they all went off.  

Thats not how sprinkler heads work - fake....

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/19 6:42 a.m.

how the title i sent to BoxheadTim has traveled to him. Swannanoa, NC > Greenville, SC > Columbia, SC > Harrisburg, PA > Camp Hill, PA > Harrisburg, PA > Finally at his post office.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/19 1:03 p.m.
Javelin said:
M2Pilot said:
Duke said:
mtn said:

But I'd still take sliding doors 8 days a week... #minivanlife

This is ours, somewhere in Weed, CA.

The wife hated the thought of a minivan, but with two kids and extra family members to haul it made the most sense.

She looked at the 3rd Row SUVS at the auto show and then the Pacifica.  The van made the most sense, especially the Hybrid with the tax credits and better mileage for commuting.

Nearly 1000 miles into this road trip and we’re averaging 25mpg at 80-ish MPH (wife has a lead foot) with 4 adults, 2 kids on car seats and a ton of luggage.

The safety features and tech is pretty slick.  Ride is awesome on broken freeways.

Soccer Moms are all driving SUVs, not Minivans.  So the stereotype is wrong and ignorant.

1 ... 965 966 967 968 969 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CEmaoPQ8YyHffLDKpL7jPxeliwiWrHlfMZlSGgcPz9C5whOXnn2BNJZVYYS3cnTB