stuart in mn MegaDork
7/2/24 8:04 a.m.

You need a satin jacket with a matching panther on the back.  cheeky

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/2/24 8:06 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

You need a satin jacket with a matching panther on the back.  cheeky

I’m sure you can find one on Etsy. Just saying. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/2/24 10:59 a.m.

Really cool car!  Coincidentally, I was just reading the article on the Prowler in the Jan/Feb issue of Hagerty's mag.  Funny it seems they actually sold a matching accessory trailer.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/2/24 11:43 a.m.

Yeah the trailer was sold in pretty good numbers I think 1/5 cars had it. The hardtop is the grail piece for me. They do pop up but are hard to shop. 

I have had a good number of prowlers and likely have put more miles on them then most owners. They are good little cars. Parts can be a pain sometimes. 

got luckily last night and was able to get my side mirror assemblies all cleaned up and working. Found the horrible stereo whine source because they did not ground it properly and cleaned a few more things up. Got to go to AAA and get it registered this week as well. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/2/24 11:43 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Where did our balls to build weird, cool E36 M3 go?

Still there, just costs more......

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/24 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

That's not weird, that's just a Cadillac M5 :)

This is weird.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/2/24 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Hey, man.  That is weird.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/2/24 5:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

That's not weird, that's just a Cadillac M5 :)

This is weird.

I saw one of those driving around two summers ago, its too bad they are pricey I think they are cool.  The only downside is the lack of a manual.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
7/2/24 5:16 p.m.

Brian Fontana says keep the panther

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/2/24 5:26 p.m.

The panther is key. It's...shockingly well executed. Whoever airbrushed that did an exceptional job. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
7/2/24 6:03 p.m.
trumant said:

The panther must stay!

There is NO way I would remove the panther. Wayyyyyy too many Ricky Bobby references to be made and whomever painted that did a damn good job.

Also the purple is excellent.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/12/24 11:35 p.m.

Ok I had my very first drive where nothing went wrong with the car. 

I had to replace nearly everything but the final straw was finding that the idle control valve motor was working but the lead screw was completely stripped which is why it was stalling off off throttle and at idle. Also there was a chuck of something black and disgusting in there that was keeping it from actually moving. 

car is so much happier now. Also I  keeping the panther. 

so next step is killing all the rattles like I did on my last one. Lowering the driver and passenger seat three inches by removing the tilt mechanicism and then getting it in for a full polish and ceramic coat. Then I think in will be happy. 

Geoffrey
Geoffrey New Reader
9/16/24 5:47 a.m.

I vote the panther stays!

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/24 8:16 a.m.
Appleseed said:

The fact this was a factory built car still blows my mind. Where did our balls to build weird, cool E36 M3 go?

Right! Seeing the ugly bumpers off, this car is incredible! I can't believe this was made by 1990s Plymouth, of all companies. It's suddenly pretty much timeless. 

chaparral
chaparral SuperDork
9/16/24 12:22 p.m.

I think the 3.5 V6 is fine in this application - but that automatic's gotta go. Does a T-5 fit? 

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
9/16/24 12:53 p.m.

If you haven't seen the Jay Leno video with Chip Foose on how he designed it, you really need to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka0Sk2ukp3g&t=1294s

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/16/24 3:37 p.m.

Ok, a few things:

-How did I miss this thread the first go-around?

-That panther is a treasure and must be preserved for all time. 

-IT HAS PANTHERS IN THE SEATS TOO

-I second the fact that I can't believe an OEM made these things and made them available to the public.

Prowlers are cool as hell. Yes, they have a minivan V6, but who cares when they look like that! And the bumper delete kit makes it even cooler. Purple also suits these better than any other OEM color, IMHO. It just works. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/16/24 3:39 p.m.
chaparral said:

I think the 3.5 V6 is fine in this application - but that automatic's gotta go. Does a T-5 fit? 

It is trans-axle and has a torque tube mixed with a weird little short driveshaft. Also there is zero space for a clutch pedal.  It is built in a similar way to a lotus elise except with a full length double spar frame that they weld/glued everything to. They also weight nothing like 300lbs less then the same year NSX so the V6 and auto do pretty decent. 

If you are ok cutting into the main tunnel and loosing about 2.5ish inches of space on all sides you can fit an automatic. Could of the cars have hellcat auto swaps done to them. They also make a supercharger system that takes it up to around 380hp give or take which I would love to do but finding a NOS in box one is almost impossible and paxton has to flash the ECU for you which they still offer as a service. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/24 3:55 p.m.
Scott_H said:

If you haven't seen the Jay Leno video with Chip Foose on how he designed it, you really need to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka0Sk2ukp3g&t=1294s

You're kidding me! I was about to say it looks like a slick Foose design 

Piguin
Piguin Reader
9/16/24 4:00 p.m.

Add me to on the 'How did I miss this' wagon.

Looking great without the bumpers, agreed on the Panther - while not something I would ever add, since it is there it simply has to stay. 

There are still stock superchargers you say... Carb legal you say... 

David S. Wallens
9/16/24 10:54 p.m.

Any way to add glowing pupils to that panther? Just wondering. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/24 11:11 p.m.

The panther is so well doneI'm kinda surprised it's not signed.

Do you have any history on the car? Somebody loved it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/17/24 12:19 a.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

The panther is so well doneI'm kinda surprised it's not signed.

Do you have any history on the car? Somebody loved it.

Still doing a bit of digging on the car. "Allegedly" this car was built to be given away along with another one during KISS concerts by Gene. 

The other verified KISS car does exist and I am only I think two vin numbers away from that one. That car someone won and took possession of. This one somebody won and they turned down the car. Ended back up for sale at a dealership where the owners wife owned it for 15 years. Then got passed around at auctions a bit and ended up the the other owner. 

The body mods are extremely rare items to find, the chrome front suspension as well. Does not add any value to the car but it's a cool story and I would love to validate it. 

David S. Wallens
9/18/24 10:45 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

It does add to the car’s story. Cool stuff. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o0p36sEsUKk2Ozyg92PbDuePuPjyCDDg7UfpLqWCVa7x4BomFujJzUAzaJdxPcPf