1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/17 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

A very reasonable response, and from your perspective, understandable.

However, I don't think you (collective you, not personal you,) should be able to legislate away the rights of someone to modify their car in such a minor way, because it's something you and your industry wants.

The police aspect is fairly ridiculous when most states don't regulate the entire rear of the car, which also happens to be the direction from which the officer is approaching.

Window tint regulations, fall into the overreach of government category to me, so I usually ignore them. Put me in the does not support category. Glad it's not my state.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
1/2/17 1:56 p.m.
1kris06 wrote:
mad_machine wrote: you know that article contradicts itself. It says that the windows have to let in 70% of the light, but at the end it quotes the current law as allowing only 30%?
Not contradicting, just using different terms. It sounds like the windshield and front side windows can only have 70% tint while the rear windows can be 30% at the darkest.

E36 M3, OEM solar glass is probably more than 70%

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
1/2/17 2:08 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Woody: A very reasonable response, and from your perspective, understandable. However, I don't think you (collective you, not personal you,) should be able to legislate away the rights of someone to modify their car in such a minor way, because it's something you and your industry wants. The police aspect is fairly ridiculous when most states don't regulate the entire rear of the car, which also happens to be the direction from which the officer is approaching. Window tint regulations, fall into the overreach of government category to me, so I usually ignore them. Put me in the does not support category. Glad it's not my state.

You seem to look at this as if your ability to own and operate a motor vehicle is a right. It's a privilege that they allow us to drive on city/county/state/federal roadways.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/2/17 4:11 p.m.

I agree with the eye contact thing, but if I was a cop, no; I would be afraid of what's going on behind the shades. Living in Atlanta I see the need to defer the heat.

I see cops stopping people for stupid stuff and I'm OK with tacking on the tint fine, but pull you off the highway at 70 mph JUST for that? BS.

Oh wait, probable cause.....

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
1/2/17 4:26 p.m.

It's that way here in Texas. I know a guy that had pretty dark tint on his side windows. Wouldn't pass inspection, he went home, rolled down the windows and pulled the fuse. No law stating that a car has to have operational Windows, he passed.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/17 9:08 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: It's that way here in Texas. I know a guy that had pretty dark tint on his side windows. Wouldn't pass inspection, he went home, rolled down the windows and pulled the fuse. No law stating that a car has to have operational Windows, he passed.

I am a MA state inspector. I think you are correct on that. I am going to look that up.

Here in MA the max tint on the drivers and front passengers windows is %20. Rear windows there is no limit to the tint. No vehicle exceptions.

Also no tint to the viewing area of the windshield.

Exceptions are if there are medical reasons for it or if it is from the factory.

We have two test meters. One hooks over the window the other is a two part testing device that you can test any part of the glass. The reason for it is people were getting there windows tinted to spec at the top two inches and then progressively darker tint as you came down the window. The DMV got wise to this and issued the two piece testing unit.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/17 9:18 p.m.

The new to me sierra Denali was from Texas and has privacy tint on the back window and the side windows. The driver and passenger windows ate tinted to the max legal limit.

With the truck being black and all the windows being tinted you can not see in it. I actually like it as I go to some not so nice areas of Boston and it keeps people honest. My truck looks like some of the ones used by law enforcement so I also get some interesting reactions from people. People also tend to get out of M way on the highway or slow way down. It is actually kind of a PITA.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/2/17 9:49 p.m.

NC has had tint inspections for a while. When I bought my car, I had to remove the tint on the two front windows in order to pass inspection. I wish I had thought of the fuse trick for the windows.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/3/17 7:24 a.m.

Friend of mine bought a truck from a Stealership. He got pulled over and ticketed for tinted windows, went to fight it in court.

Judge says: "$75 fine".

Friend says: "Wait, this was sold as it is by a reputable dealer and was inspected by your representative twice at the annual inspection and no one ever mentioned tint".

Judge says: $125 fine, anything else to say?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/3/17 9:24 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Friend of mine bought a truck from a Stealership. He got pulled over and ticketed for tinted windows, went to fight it in court. Judge says: "$75 fine". Friend says: "Wait, this was sold as it is by a reputable dealer and was inspected by your representative twice at the annual inspection and no one ever mentioned tint". Judge says: $125 fine, anything else to say?

If a judge said that to me, the fires would be lit. I'd push it to jury trial. Not guilty, not guilty, not guilty.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/15/17 9:55 a.m.

Update:

My son lives in Connecticut but his Saab wagon is registered here in upstate NY, insurance is wicked cheaper.

He tried to get it inspected but got shot down at three shops for the tint, NYS DMV handed tools to every inspector in the State. He contacted the guy that installed the tint who agreed to remove it for $50/window, but ranted that he moving his business out of New York.

Here's the fun part: I had to replace the right side mirror on my MIL's Maxima so I went to a Stealership. While waiting for the parts guy, I strolled through the show room. The new SUVs have tint all over except the front door glass. The Maxima and Sentra have tinted glass all over, this violates the NYS law. A salesman approaches and of course we talk about the tint. He thinks it will pass. Parts guy comes out, says the part will be here tomorrow. OK. I ask the salesman to check with his tech in the back to see if these darkened windows will pass Inspection, I'll be back tomorrow.

The next day I pick up the mirror and see the salesman, will the darkened widows pass Inspection?

"Well, our guy says it doesn't apply because this is an SUV". Wait, if I pay this kind of money and next year it won't pass inspection, what do I do? And Maxima is an SUV?

Hmmmmmm.... Florida?

cabbagecop
cabbagecop New Reader
1/15/17 10:54 a.m.

Florida is 28% on the front windows and 15% on the rear windows. Front windshield can only be tinted to the AS-1 line.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/17 11:16 a.m.
914Driver wrote: "Well, our guy says it doesn't apply because this is an SUV". Wait, if I pay this kind of money and next year it won't pass inspection, what do I do? And Maxima is an SUV?

Those are new cars, or used ones?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/15/17 11:23 a.m.
NEALSMO wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Woody: A very reasonable response, and from your perspective, understandable. However, I don't think you (collective you, not personal you,) should be able to legislate away the rights of someone to modify their car in such a minor way, because it's something you and your industry wants. The police aspect is fairly ridiculous when most states don't regulate the entire rear of the car, which also happens to be the direction from which the officer is approaching. Window tint regulations, fall into the overreach of government category to me, so I usually ignore them. Put me in the does not support category. Glad it's not my state.
You seem to look at this as if your ability to own and operate a motor vehicle is a right. It's a privilege that they allow us to drive on city/county/state/federal roadways.

That aligns heavily with the idea that the government is a "they" not an "us" and that "they" get to bestow or restrict our rights based upon their wants and needs. That is not an idea I agree with.

Toyman01
1/15/17 11:30 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

Pretty sure our differences are philosophical and not likely to change on either part.

I like pie.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/15/17 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

I was agreeing with you. On the politics and the pie.

Toyman01
1/15/17 2:04 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

Well then, next time I'm in Gainsville, I'll be sure to bring pie.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/15/17 2:12 p.m.
codrus wrote: Those are new cars, or used ones?

Brandy new in the showroom. Still concerned that they are selling cars with the belief that it will pass inspection, not a big concern as I can't do this.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy Reader
1/15/17 2:20 p.m.
914Driver wrote:
Brandy new in the showroom. Still concerned that they are selling cars with the belief that it will pass inspection, not a big concern as I can't do this.

If it's actually factory tinted glass, that came from the manufacturer, your inspection can't say it won't pass. If it's an aftermarket tint the dealer is installing, and the State deems it too dark and must be removed to pass, it's gotta go.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/17 2:30 p.m.
914Driver wrote:

Automakers sell cars that violate state or local bumper, headlight, and taillight height laws all the time. It it's as-built then federal laws override local ones.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
1/16/17 5:37 a.m.

Work as a NY state inspector, and have already failed a bunch of vehicles for tint. The wailing and gnashing of teeth is ridiculous. One conversation literally went like this:

Service advisor: You're vehicle fails due to window tint. It has to allow 70 percent of light through, yours only allows 10%

Customer: What?! It's had tint on it for years and passed before

Advisor: Yes, but it's a new law that came out at the beginning of this year.

Customer: I don't understand, this has never been a problem before

Advisor: Yes, as I said, this is a new law that came into effect this year.

Customer: This is outrageous. What do I have to do?

Advisor: Remove the window tint. We can do it at $50 an hour or you can take it elsewhere, but it has to be removed to pass inspection.

Customer: This is ridiculous, I can't believe you guys won't pass my car. I'm taking the car somewhere else for inspection from here on in.

Advisor: Okay, but it doesn't matter where you take it, this is a state law. It's going to fail everywhere else as well.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/16/17 8:56 a.m.

wait, you mean to tell me that the communist state of New York(city) is restricting more stuff? No ways. /sarcasm

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/17 10:42 a.m.

Last year 153,000 people left New York for cheaper, less strict pastures. If I had my way (SWMBO disagrees), there would be 153,002 next year.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
1/16/17 11:04 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: wait, you mean to tell me that the communist state of New York(city) is restricting more stuff? No ways. /sarcasm

Literally all 50 states have window tint laws on the books. Damn commies!

Tint Laws

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/16/17 11:07 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Last year 153,000 people left New York for cheaper, less strict pastures. If I had my way (SWMBO disagrees), there would be 153,002 next year.

I know of 3 that are here in Indiana. went from $14k per year in property taxes, $400k mortgage to $1200 and $200k with twice the house. It allowed them to have one person stay home with their young child and live well off of one salary. I can't get over the Govt rent they were paying. That was more than our mortgage, homeowners insurance AND property taxes per month.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zcfoWg8Ds7zJ8ryLnLLdtO36nrl64pBAr9JIrRqB2eTCOPimKa8iOFY0OaT212Ve