Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/27/23 10:14 a.m.

Recently I discovered a need for a jump pack. (ok it was a few months ago when we were doing hurricanes extra, but whatever) and off to Amazon we went. They were running several deals at the time, and the noco one was heavily discounted across the model range. We opted for the 2000a model because it was significantly cheaper than the next one up (2500a is currently $250 on Amazon, vs $200 for the 2000a) and according to the manufacturer, should be able to jump anything I own from stone dead, and anything I'll own in the near future. We also opted for the wall charger because the other option was charging it via USB or in the car and charging a thing with a dead car doesn't really math in my head. All landed at the time I want to say it was under $200, appears to be about $270 right now. arrived well packaged (I didn't take a pic of the charger box because whatever)

The unit itself is about the size of a traditional building brick, and roughly as heavy. It's got indicators for power level correct connection, as well as a bonus (and very bright) flashlight. I was apprehensive of the whole thing because I've got a false belief that bigger means better and one of those giant deals that they sell at O'Reilly was what I wanted. Turns out, I didn't need to be.

On arrival, I needed to plug it in for a few hours to top it off, as it was only charged to maintain. I took the time to sort of read the instructions. I say sort of because I a- don't usually read instructions and b- the only real flaw in this package is the instructions manual. It's impossibly small and difficult to read. I suffered through though, and once it was charged, it was time to try it. 

The use- 

I've alluded to it before, but I've had some difficulty with motor skills and such that makes it somewhat unsafe for me to drive- so my jeep has been sitting (it's not a good jeep. It's a liberty. Other jeep owners won't even give me a duck)  and I needed to move it. The battery was medium questionable when I bought it.....three years ago. You guessed it, dead as a doornail. 

Brought the pack out, and hit the power button. Lights up indicating it's full and ready to do zapping. This is when I learned that there's an indicator (and a safety....) That tells you if you hooked it up right. PO of some fashion has added some extra wiring to it for (presumably) the tow package, and I had a hard time telling what was what, and despite my best efforts, hooked that bitch up backwards. I hit the key and the unit immediately went into failsafe, indicating I messed up. 

Reassessing my situation, I realized I'm smart and can read cable clamps, and they DO have a plus and a minus on them. Flipped the cables around and went to go again. Back into failsafe. Did I somehow fall into a black hole? Does my jeep exist in the 4th dimension? 

Perusal of the manual rendered my answer. Turns out, this thing has a SECOND failsafe mode that won't allow jump power if the battery in the vehicle is under 2 amps. 

Unless you push the party button. This jump pack is equipped with a manual override, allowing you to juice whatever you've got for all it's worth. This scared swmbo greatly and she backed up, assuming my jeep was going to explode. But sure enough-I hit the manual override, hit the key, and my jeep turned over immediately. For a vehicle that's been sitting for six months, I consider that impressive. The pack didn't even sweat and I could move my car. It was around this time I noticed my car had actually been entered without consent at some point (the glove box was open and sort of rifled through) though they didn't take anything because there's nothing to take. I say entered because it definitely wasn't locked- I don't bother. If your dumb ass wants to try and take it, it's insured, and you'll probably give it back anyway. 

Overall, I was impressed with this little thing. Swmbo immediately claimed it for her car and stuck it in her trunk. There are other modes (trickle charging, regular charging, it can act as a battery pack for cell phones and stuff)  but I didn't really try those. I assume they work, and I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. 

Note - this is absolutely NOT sponsored content. Ain't no one paying me for my writing skills, or lack thereof. I just know I was apprehensive as hell when I saw it, and assume others might be. I also know we all tend to have vehicles and vehicles need jump starts. Rather than carry around a set of leads and hope someone will help, I covered my own ass. 

NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box, Car Battery Booster Pack, Portable Power Bank Charger, and Jumper Cables for up to 8-Liter Gasoline and 6-Liter Diesel Engines https://a.co/d/99d9nyU

NOCO XGC4 56-Watt XGC Power Adapter for GB70/GB150/GB250+/GB251+/GB500+ NOCO Boost UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starters https://a.co/d/6DrAGXi

Note- this does appear to be a region free device, it has virtually any power plug (including a few I couldn't identify) included with the charge pack, so that's cool. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/27/23 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I've got a smaller version of this, GB-45 i think, love Love LOVE these things.  Never buying another one of the big bulky battery packs again..

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
2/27/23 10:27 a.m.

I've got one for each car. Have been happy with the NOCO so far. Also, the case is metal, which I found interesting. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/27/23 10:32 a.m.

I have the GBX45, 1250A and that thing will start a dead F250 diesel without a hitch. These things are great and well made.

I also have a Noco Genius 10 charger. Excellent as well. 

The "X" in the jump pack part number denotes that it also works with Lithium batteries, of which I have a couple. If you do not have any, skip the option and save money.

Slippery
2/27/23 10:32 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

I've got one for each car. Have been happy with the NOCO so far. Also, the case is metal, which I found interesting. 

Mine's are plastic ...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/27/23 12:16 p.m.
Slippery said:
Teh E36 M3 said:

Mine's are plastic ...

He may be referring to the carry case that I did not opt for, as my pack itself it also plastic. 

Slippery
2/27/23 12:35 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Slippery said:
Teh E36 M3 said:

Mine's are plastic ...

He may be referring to the carry case that I did not opt for, as my pack itself it also plastic. 

That makes sense, I did not get their case either. Maybe its in case it self ignites? I am always scared of leaving it in the trunk in the Florida heat ... but so far so good.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/27/23 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Well, swmbos car is only worth a little more than mine and she's looking for a trucklet anyhow, so if that thing burns I'm less worried. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ed4dZ8dybGlDUfXkPGUtudYvoVeGX4n4t2DN8ZyONFyxYrqR8vpr6inMbOCBgLCS