1 2 3
RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/13/13 4:25 p.m.

I appreciate the concept of facebook but the execution is nowhere near what it should be given its popularity.

The general lack of continuity really surprises me…it isn’t an environment, you don’t enter a domain, rather, it’s some cobbled together thing you’d expect from a procrastinating undergrad software student jacked up on Pepsi at 3:00 AM trying to have something to turn in to class the next morning.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/13/13 4:55 p.m.

By liking various grassroots teams, I find I can follow a rally better with facebook. The Rally America site is a little slow on the updates.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/13/13 5:50 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Should have said, "XX and I are no longer speaking, so I'm berkeleying all of his friends from my Facebook, nothing personal" Its obviously reaction she is after.

I'm sure there is a website for that too.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/14/13 6:55 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: Should have said, "XX and I are no longer speaking, so I'm berkeleying all of his friends from my Facebook, nothing personal" Its obviously reaction she is after.

Yes... yes there is...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/14/13 7:20 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I don't use Facebook and i think those of you that do are shallow and godless heathens.

Swank, if you really wanted to offend everyone, you should have posted a link to this song. NSFW and all that not quite jazz.

Actually, I almost posted that song on my FB last night. It could be an effective/proactive method to get de-friended.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/14/13 7:32 a.m.
petegossett wrote: Swank, if you *really* wanted to offend everyone, you should have posted a link to this song. NSFW and all that not quite jazz. Actually, I almost posted that song on my FB last night. It could be an effective/proactive method to get de-friended.

Depends on your friends, I guess... most of mine would have loved it. Especially my old bass player. Sounds like something his band could have written.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/14/13 7:37 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote:
Yes... yes there is...

Linky?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
9/14/13 8:09 a.m.

I love facebook. Mainly, I use it to keep up with all of my friends adventures and the pictures they post (as well as share my adventures since I'd like to think people enjoy the stupid journeys I go on all the time). It also is what MSN messenger was back to me while growing up. I maintain many long distance relationships by having chats too informal for a phone call, but too personal for text. I don't think my current girlfriend and I would be together if it wasn't for facebook.

I should also note that I have under 100 friends on facebook, with a quarter of those being racing people. I only add people that I'd like to know what is going on in their lives, ie, people who I'd feel totally comfortable going and having a beer with and shooting the E36 M3 for hours on end. Not some random jerkoffs I met for about a hour and know nothing about.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
9/14/13 10:43 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to z31maniac: Chris DIRECTLY challenged that I am not getting info on new places from friends- go read his post. The part about "You never learn about new restaurants..." suggests that I need FB to find out about new restaurants.

No, I challenged that if you only get information from emails from places you've already been, then you won't get info about new places. YOU implied you ONLY get info from from places and events you've already been to.

Again, YOU were acting all superior for not being on FB well before I responded.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/14/13 10:48 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I don't use Facebook and i think those of you that do are shallow and godless heathens.

Oh come on, it's just AOL for people who are ashamed to use AOL. Just like SUVs are minivans for people who are ashamed to drive minivans.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
9/14/13 11:01 a.m.

^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/14/13 11:52 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Oh come on, it's just AOL for people who are ashamed to use AOL. Just like SUVs are minivans for people who are ashamed to drive minivans.

I used AOL. And I bypassed the minivan and went straight to full-size conversion van.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/14/13 11:54 a.m.

FB is kind of the definition of "nothing personal".

Electronic communications with electrons purporting to be various people I intentionally stopped communicating with decades ago all looking to discover what I've had for breakfast and trying to figure out how to sell the data to someone I don't give a damn about.

If I want to "get personal" with someone, there's a pretty good chance we will be in the same room.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/14/13 3:07 p.m.
SVreX wrote: If I want to "get personal" with someone, there's a pretty good chance we will be in the same room.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
9/14/13 10:35 p.m.

I just got on FB recently (and reluctantly), but mostly to help grow my business. The dude who gave me a web presence insisted I get on there.

I might get a few out of state friends on there, but I'm conflicted, because I have zero interest in what their kids do and that's going to be the majority of their updates (although that seems to be more of a "mom" thing than a "dad" thing).

I have some local businesses liked, which is VERY convenient. It's a helluv an advertising tool.

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
9/15/13 1:27 a.m.

I saw this and thought it was the quote from Don Wonslow's Savages

Which the only side of that is the first two words in the book, which would be my response to Ms "Nothing personal" Like someone said, it totally is personal, thats why she sent you the message instead of quietly slipping out. She wants you and everyone else she dropped to talk to XX so he knows how completely she has cut him out of her life.

Oddly enough, despite being very personal, it has very little to do with you, outside of you being one of the vessels to convey to him how she has "totally won the breakup"

On the subject of FB, I view it like I view this board. I like hearing about the silly stuff my firneds are doing, it makes me feel like I am closer to home. When I am stateside I communicate in personal ways, but over here, I enjoy seeing or reading about what a buddy had for dinner, because that would be an actual conversation we would have if I was there. It's kinda like social fast food. It doesn't take the place of a real meal, but if you have nothing else, it will fill you up. But too much can make you sick.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/15/13 7:28 a.m.

In reply to Mental:

I can see that. The connection for international personal relations makes a lot of sense.

There was no internet when I lived overseas, and I would have really liked to have a tool like FB.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/15/13 7:33 a.m.

In reply to gamby:

You've got mail

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/15/13 7:39 a.m.

I'm sure FB has its place. Its problem is it reflects the best and the worst of human beings. I know one person who had a fake FB page put up by some people who had an ax to grind, that was a very hurtful thing for them.

I know at least 3 people in my immediate circle who refuse to even be on it because of things such as the 'nothing personal' bit which is anything BUT 'not personal'. It's an attempt to put a public shaming on someone, the new electronic version of the stocks in the town square.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/15/13 2:26 p.m.

So apparently Facebook is really trying to drive people to Google+

http://www.uproxx.com/technology/2013/09/facebook-will-now-auto-play-videos-really/

Auto play videos on your feed which will morph into auto play ads. Yeah. Lovely, eh?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/15/13 2:50 p.m.

I had something interesting come out of FB yesterday.

Phil's Tire Service made a post about the new SM/SE30 wheels being made by Jongbloed. So I commented they should make a 15x9 since the 6ULs are so scarce.

This turned into a phone conversation yesterday with Ryan at Jongbloed and they are now going to look into producing a lightweight, nice looking 15x9 with plenty of brake clearance at an affordable price.

It would likely mimic the design for the SM/SE30 wheels and look like this:

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/13 7:55 p.m.

In reply to gamby:

I don't have kids so I'm thinking of sharing photos of some of my more memorable lunches.

My sad cry for attention can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/wally.m.9?fref=ts

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/15/13 8:20 p.m.
Wally wrote: In reply to gamby: I don't have kids so I'm thinking of sharing photos of some of my more memorable lunches. My sad cry for attention can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/wally.m.9?fref=ts

You left out hayseed dixie!!!!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SHKvCloECoDPWHEcgt1yoDzOVuQ0ur8xGz4tbrukA5fQjLannjsK3vI1fatlYW7G