bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/17/23 7:58 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

that's me... I need one thing I'm not dicking around with lol

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/17/23 8:21 a.m.

Toyman is right.  And the reality is a LOT of people don't want to berkeley with their phone.  Apple is much better about a consistent user experience... Samsung, Motorola, Pixel, [insert 25 other android phone makers] all use different default apps. 

I'm in the category of "I dont want to berkeley with it".  I choose my battles.

A lot of this reminds me of my PC "Game Console" hooked up to my TV.  Its powerful, extremely customizeable, has superior hardware and technically better in almost every way vs. an Xbox/PS/Switch.  BUT it absolutely does not "just work".  I knew this going into it and I'm putting in the effort (admittedly higher than dealing with Android) to make it work.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/23 9:34 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

On the other hand, I'd rather spend the little bit of time it takes to have the exact experience I want. I don't want to be locked into whatever the phone manufacturer provides. The good news is there is something for everyone. 

5 Symbols in the Star Wars Universe | StarWars.com

Or

Rebel Alliance - Wikipedia

laugh

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/17/23 9:40 a.m.

By the way, a lot of apps are available across platforms.  Just because you buy an EmpirePhone does not mean you need to use all of Palpatine's evil default applications.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/17/23 10:19 a.m.

It's also worth pointing out that major OEM Android phones "just work" too, and have for many years. There are an awful lot of non-nerds out there using them every day. You CAN customize them, but if you don't, they work as well as anything from the fruit company.

procainestart
procainestart SuperDork
11/17/23 12:40 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

Here's what I'm hoping to do in a few years: The Fairphone is actively user-serviceable, user-upgradeable (like they keep form factors consistent so that up to a point when the new version gets an updated camera, you can just get the camera and drop it in your old phone). Available with Android or a de-Googled Android (that's both exciting and probably a pain to manage apps on since I'm guessing that makes it non-Play-store-compatible).

+1 on Fairphone. I hope it takes off. Also, and my apologies for forgetting the source, but I read somewhere (Ars Technica??) that there's a way to get apps from Play if you have (de-Googled) GrapheneOS, so perhaps Fairphone's de-Googled OS (\e\OS) can work similarly?? 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/23 1:00 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

You can't say things like that. The Empire gets mad when you tell them that they aren't the best alternative. 

They're going to take you out if you keep talking like that. For god's sake man, think of the children!

Star Wars: In the dark side of the Force only hate flourishes

wink

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IJ4pb9FKVvYpVr3vgWVNd7NAgE6dw6UnkycYiDH48sUEyXKeWsqQWwzyOmO16295