1 2 3
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/12 5:35 p.m.

I would probably get the abarth....

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/2/12 5:54 p.m.

I'd like to buy an Audi TTRS for my wife. She had a 2000 TT for five years and loved it until it started to self destruct. The car made her really happy and I can tell by the way that she looks at the RS that she would like it. It's just soooo much money.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle Reader
4/2/12 6:04 p.m.

Looking at new car financing, I could get the wife an Audi A4, and I would get a Fit (or something cheaper/more economical than what I have).

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltraDork
4/2/12 6:05 p.m.

I wouldn't mind a brand new F150 Crew Cab.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
4/2/12 6:17 p.m.

For her: Kia Optima

For me: GMC Sierra or Ford F150

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
4/2/12 6:19 p.m.

If there were no other prerequisites- as in, I don't have to drag people around in the back seat, doesn't have to get good mileage, etc, based on my financial comfort zone I'd order up a Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

Or the cheapest Hyundai built, just to answer a question I don't care to answer. I like my old stuff.

Will
Will Dork
4/2/12 6:46 p.m.

Mustang GT.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/2/12 6:53 p.m.

Lotus Evora.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
4/2/12 6:57 p.m.

Well, if I'm able to collect the kind of cash I hope to by the time I retire, and have plenty to pay cash, I might consider buying a new car. Maybe.

If I did, right now, I'm with you. The FT86 is about the only thing at a reasonable price that I'm at all interested in.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/2/12 7:05 p.m.

Hmmm.... The 2013 Dart has me intrigued. I've been on a bit of a Dodge streak now. SRT4 Dart yes please!

Buuuuuut, a 2012 Wrangler Arctic, 2 door hardtop with a 6 speed handshaker has been haunting my dreams for awhile now.

Mmmmmmm....

Josh
Josh Dork
4/2/12 7:11 p.m.

I'd probably lease a new 3 series wagon for a daily driver. Lease rates on them are usually very good and it would be $0 out of pocket for the term except for gas, insurance, and payments. I'd do euro delivery for sure.

I wouldn't want to spend new car money on a toy, or take a massive depreciation hit on something I'm not going to rack up miles on.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
4/2/12 7:15 p.m.

You said with financing... which I wouldn't but theoretically speaking...

• Lotus Exige Cup 260
  • BMW R 1200 GS Adventure

Truthfully, there are so few new cars that represent any value whatsoever over an interesting old car (to me) that it has to be something really special like the Lotus or something that remains out of my price range no matter how long I wait ( 997 GT3 ). I am not going to finance a run of the mill grocery getter because it brings no joy nor even a giant powerhouse Mustang because if I am patient I can get either for pennies on the dollar 5yrs from now.

dmidknight
dmidknight Reader
4/2/12 7:24 p.m.

Jetta or Passat TDI and veggie it.

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
4/2/12 8:14 p.m.
dmidknight wrote: Jetta or Passat TDI and veggie it.

Not on a new one you won't...

New car? Mustang 5.0 or V6, MINI JCW hardtop, 135, or maybe even a 1M if really feeling flush.

dmidknight
dmidknight Reader
4/2/12 8:39 p.m.

yeah, I guess my concept of a new car starts aroung the turn of the century..

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/2/12 11:36 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Got this idea from the "what would it take for you to buy a new car" thread. If you answered "I'd have to be rich" or "hell would have to freeze over," what would you buy if you were forced at gunpoint to spend your own money to replace a car you currently own (and use regularly, no cheating for you guys with automotive ADD!) with a new car.

I'd eat a bullet. There aren't any cars on the market better than what I already have.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
4/2/12 11:52 p.m.

Budget choices:
$20k - Abarth or Mustang V6
$30k - Mustang GT or Jeep Unlimited Rubicon.
$40k - Some kind of BMW something or another probably.
$50k- Are we in Corvette money yet? How about that Laguna Seca Stang?
$60k - Z06, or is it higher? CTS-V? Maybe just a really pimpy loaded duramax truck.
$70k - M5?
$100k - The ZR1 is pretty rad.
$200k - Some kind of Aston.

EDIT - Whoa. Just reading through my list I see a remarkable number of US brands and not a single Jap car. Weird for someone who used to be solidly in the Honda fanboi crowd.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
4/3/12 12:34 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Would i have to be able to afford it? Or can i just pick anything?
The limit is whatever you can reasonably afford with financing.

what if can't afford to finance anything?

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
4/3/12 3:54 a.m.

You and me both. Realistically, I'd say Hyundai Accent.

joey48442
joey48442 UberDork
4/3/12 6:57 a.m.
stanger_missle wrote: Hmmm.... The 2013 Dart has me intrigued. I've been on a bit of a Dodge streak now. SRT4 Dart yes please! Buuuuuut, a 2012 Wrangler Arctic, 2 door hardtop with a 6 speed handshaker has been haunting my dreams for awhile now. Mmmmmmm....

Oh man, if they made an 80 percent scale version of one of those, I'd be all over it

As it is I'll take a v6 mustang, or a fiesta.

Joey

924guy
924guy Dork
4/3/12 7:12 a.m.

id be happy enough with a v6 stang...

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
4/3/12 7:21 a.m.

I can't afford it, so the point is moot.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/3/12 7:50 a.m.

I'm with the Doc, can't afford it. I did get approved for a new mazda 3 last year when looking for a car for the wife, so someone thinks I can afford it...

If I had to replace my RX8, I imagine I could afford a FT86 or a new MX5 with a trade in, but I can't imagine that ever happening. I like my RX8, that's why I got it in the first place. If I would have preffered an MX5 i'd be driving one right now. If I had to get soemthing for the wife it would be a mazda 2. She loves them, and her car is worth less on trade, might not make enough for a trade on an FT86 (which she really really wants).

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
4/3/12 8:22 a.m.

I would go with either a new Z06 or CTS-V. Of course since they are forcing me to buy new, I am assuming I have a really good job. With my current job, I would buy a motorcycle.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/3/12 8:27 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Would i have to be able to afford it? Or can i just pick anything?
The limit is whatever you can reasonably afford with financing.

so if i let the bank take my house, i could move back in with my parents and buy a new ZR1.

otherwise i guess Abarth, as that is the only new car that has ever actually had me on their website building one and pricing it out to see if i could do it.

i don't think i could afford the payment on any new car though

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FPwGgw5Da3Z0ONcQFJkouA3ciufCFpVo0zsLeV5eNFWRSKVijSp0a402yrctSBUE