1 2 3
e_pie
e_pie Reader
4/3/12 8:38 a.m.

Probably an FT86.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
4/3/12 9:05 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Got this idea from the "what would it take for you to buy a new car" thread. If you answered "I'd have to be rich" or "hell would have to freeze over," what would you buy if you were forced at gunpoint to spend your own money to replace a car you currently own (and use regularly, no cheating for you guys with automotive ADD!) with a new car. I'd buy an FT86 to replace my AE92.

As I refuse to finance, it would probably be a Ford Fiesta.

Or finance a Mustang Boss 302, then hire a lawyer to have the contract declared void since it was made under duress.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
4/3/12 9:07 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Or finance a Mustang Boss 302, then hire a lawyer to have the contract declared void since it was made under duress.

lol

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/12 10:10 a.m.

Focus ST or an Abarth. But I am with GPS on this one, the stuff that I can afford is not special enough for me to make payments on when I can wait a few years and get something cool for the same money.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Reader
4/4/12 10:47 a.m.

never bought new, nor plan to... but if forced to it'd have to represent something reasonably priced, but also special. If I'm buying new, I'd want to hang onto it for a long time.

I think a Boss 302 would be a fun car to hang on to.

That and/or a GT with the Recaro/Brembos. The Boss package has more of a "neat" factor to it though when factoring in the "only buying new once in my life" component.

failboat
failboat Dork
4/4/12 10:59 a.m.

Realistically, we just took on a new car payment for my wife, so I would have to get something cheap if I HAD to get something new right now.

Probably a Kia Rio or Mazda 2.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
4/4/12 12:42 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: If I was forced to buy a new car? Then I guess you've got to force me into paying a mechanic to do everything, too, because modern cars have too many damned computers and electrical crap in them.

Um, the point of a new car is the warranty where they work on your car already, you dont have to pay extra for a mechanic to work on it (and the other point is that it'll need vastly less work anyhow, as they are built better than all ourt old cheap crapboxes).

This is why my wife and I leased the new MINI for her car, as I don't want to have to work on another car just to get back and forth to work safely. $300 a month for payments is easy to afford (I know people that spend way more than that a month on smoking, which neither of us do).

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/4/12 12:44 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
Twin_Cam wrote: If I was forced to buy a new car? Then I guess you've got to force me into paying a mechanic to do everything, too, because modern cars have too many damned computers and electrical crap in them.
Um, the point of a new car is the warranty where they work on your car already, you dont have to pay extra for a mechanic to work on it (and the other point is that it'll need vastly less work anyhow, as they are built better than all ourt old cheap crapboxes).

I call bs. I don't believe for a second that the cars of today are better built then the cars of the '90s.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
4/4/12 1:31 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Chris_V wrote:
I call bs. I don't believe for a second that the cars of today are better built then the cars of the '90s.

Can't really prove it wither way, but... they tend to have fewer problems in various studies. I know that problematic brands are better now than they used to be. And I know my '06 Mustang is a much better built car than any '90s Mustang.

And again, the basic point I was making is, a new car doesn't need to have extra money thrown at a modern mechanic, as part of the price of a new car is the staff of trained mechanics at the dealership ready to warranty it if something does go wrong. And if you lease the car, like I do with the MINI, you'll never have to worry about it OUT of warranty.

$300 for the peace of mind knowing that it most likely wont need work, and if it does, a phone call takes care of it while you drive a loaner car, is worth it to me, especially for my wife's car. Doesn't hurt that it's also fun to drive to commute in or just fartin' around in.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
4/4/12 1:31 p.m.

I'd replace my XJ with the cheapest stripped-out JK Wrangler I could order. I'd order the thing without doors if it saved me cash. Business has sucked for me this year, so I'd have to find a real job in order to take on another car payment.

A lot of us are grassroots because that's all we can afford. Once we get to the point we can afford it, we still stick around because low-buck racing is fun.

loudes13
loudes13 New Reader
4/6/12 11:26 a.m.

Forced to buy a new car? I can't really afford it, but I'd luv a Ford Raptor to replace my Silverado pick up. Bigger money, or a Beck 904 to replace my e30 and Miata combined.

In reality, I could probably afford (and possible live with) a new Mini Cooper, NC MX5, or the new Toyota/Subaru thingy.

New cars (and debt) really don't appeal to me. I also could NEVER stomach the depreciation on any newer car. Just seems like a foolish waste of money.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
4/6/12 11:32 a.m.
failboat wrote: Realistically, we just took on a new car payment for my wife, so I would have to get something cheap if I HAD to get something new right now. Probably a Kia Rio or Mazda 2.

I'm very much considering this market myself. Had planned to buy myself a "new to me" car sometime within the next 6-12 months. Until very recently, it was a foregone conclusion I'd buy something used (i.e. MS3). But fuel mileage is becoming a huge factor for me. You can get a 5spd Mazda 2 for around $14k, it's kinda hard to ignore.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
4/6/12 11:33 a.m.
loudes13 wrote: New cars (and debt) really don't appeal to me. I also could NEVER stomach the depreciation on any newer car. Just seems like a foolish waste of money.

This^^

That said, new cars that I want:

Regal GS
GT500
Toyobaru Twins
GTR
CTS-v
Cruze Eco
Challenger

in no order

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/6/12 2:13 p.m.

Of any new car in the world, I would most want a Porsche Cayman R.

failboat
failboat Dork
4/6/12 2:20 p.m.
Klayfish wrote:
failboat wrote: Realistically, we just took on a new car payment for my wife, so I would have to get something cheap if I HAD to get something new right now. Probably a Kia Rio or Mazda 2.
I'm very much considering this market myself. Had planned to buy myself a "new to me" car sometime within the next 6-12 months. Until very recently, it was a foregone conclusion I'd buy something used (i.e. MS3). But fuel mileage is becoming a huge factor for me. You can get a 5spd Mazda 2 for around $14k, it's kinda hard to ignore.

Years ago I never really would have considered the subcompact market, but then I got to thinking, its Miata levels of power but with a hatchback and more usable interior space. Ok and maybe just a little more weight.....I like my Accent more than I initially thought I would.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pMoeMGQ30BtKnXTr5SN9m5m6oghVZYKCX6pJnvkJ5PRoZ3IsIrGwrj9xxHNTtLpp