1 2 3 4
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/15/24 10:37 a.m.

There are foreign actors at play on social media (and even in the creation of the platforms and methods).  Their purpose is to subtly manipulate our society into a de-motivated society that spends an inordinate amount of time with inane behaviors, has has zero trust in its government, even to the point of hating its own country, and create topics and conflicts that leave us in a never ending "us vs them" zero compromise squabbles.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/15/24 11:01 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Thats the craziest one yet!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/15/24 11:27 a.m.

my personal  there's no way its true favorite - walts frozen head is under space mountain. 

I also like the " no one dies on Disney property" one. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/15/24 6:48 p.m.
prodarwin said:

https://www.timecube.net

My favorite

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/15/24 6:51 p.m.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68716894.amp

chemtrails are real but don't worry Tennessee banned them. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/15/24 6:56 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Guess Glade needs to GTFO of Tennessee.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/24 6:58 p.m.
RevRico said:

How many hundreds of people worked at the NSA for how many years on the wildly illegal homeland surveillance network?

What do you mean "worked"? They just relocated the facilities...

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/24 7:16 p.m.
4cylndrfury said:

Hot dogs are sold in packs of 10 but Big Bakery sells buns in packs of 12 to sell more buns...or something 

You're almost on to something here...used to be 10 hot dogs per pack & 8 buns. Then about 20 years ago they both were available in packs of 8. Now it's 6 dogs per pack & still 8 buns. So the smart preppers have a source of penicillin (which is no longer effective as an antibiotic)...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/15/24 8:44 p.m.
Mndsm said:

my personal  there's no way its true favorite - walts frozen head is under space mountain. 

I also like the " no one dies on Disney property" one. 

And let's not forget that they came up with a movie called Frozen so that Internet searches for "frozen Disney" would find the movie instead of articles on Walt Disney being cryogenicly preserved.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/16/24 1:11 p.m.
prowlerjc said:
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:
Wayslow said:

I still contend that anyone who truly believes in conspiracy theories has never been involved in a government project. 

So 5 people can barely keep a secret about anything, but thousands of people can. That makes sense.

The sub service guys seem to do it pretty well...

I tend to agree with this sentiment, but look at stuff like Operation Northwoods, that thankfully JFK shut down. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
9/16/24 1:24 p.m.
Duke said:
akylekoz said:

Car insurance is required by law, but sold to us by private companies

I mean, pants are required by law but sold to us by private companies, too.

DirtyBird222 said:

Insurance being required by law is just some great lobbying on behalf on insurance agencies. 

You realize that only the part that protects other people is required by law, right?  At least when it comes to vehicle insurance anyway.  Take all the risk you want with your own stuff.

But then we get to the Affordab... *SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

And yet it's still a requirement by law....

And when I call to ask why my insurance rates go up, the answer is "There's a lot of uninsured motorist in your area." Well how can that be if it is required by law to have that bare minimum insurance? Riddle me that. 

Also nothing states that I have to wear pants. I could wear a kilt if I was so inclined to do so. Jorts? Hell yea. A borat bikini? Youbetcha. Just because it's a law doesn't mean it's a great idea. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/16/24 2:45 p.m.

What irks me is that in Virginia at least, knuckleheads can just pay DMV five or six hundred dollars and drive without insurance.  Guess who doesn't have insurance?  The knucklehead that does something knuckleheaded and gets into an accident with you, that's who!  Who will pay to fix your car?  Not them.  They don't have two nickels to rub together.

Insurance needs to be a requirement for anybody to drive, and anyone who violates that policy needs to rot in jail.

You can wear pants if you want to. Or not.  I don't care.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/16/24 3:25 p.m.

Some of my favorites actually revolve around the car industry. "Car manufacturers purposefully make cars less efficient and less reliable to sell more cars, so our aftermarket company uses magnets and this thing you jam in your intake tube so you can get 96MPG!!!"

Sure, Jan. Sure. 

And then there's people who have "better ideas" than OEMs because "THE ENGINEERS DONT KNOW NUTHIN" and you get stuff like this:

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
9/16/24 4:01 p.m.

DEI Is straight up trolling and its great.

HHO is not trolling, its just stupid.  And its great... but also crossing the line into taking advantage of people who simply don't know better.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/16/24 4:31 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

OK, substitute genital coverings for pants if you insist on getting absurdly technical.  And let me further stipulate that it is illegal to go out of your house without genital coverings.  You of course are welcome to sit in your own living room naked, if you prefer... just like you're not required to have vehicular liability insurance unless you drive a vehicle on public roads.

There can be a lot of uninsured motorists in the area because - gasp - people break the law.  You are required to have minimum liability coverage to register a car, and so people pay enough to get that coverage until they successfully register the car, and then they decline to pay further premiums.  The coverage lapses, and voila, uninsured motorist.  This is neither the state's nor the insurance companies' fault.  It is the fault of the uninsured motorist.

Would it surprise you to find that people drive around on expired tags, or with expired licenses, too?

Driving is a privilege, not a right.  There are certain conditions on that privilege, designed to protect innocent people from harm.  Just like anything else, if no one ever harmed others, or always made good on it when they did, then we wouldn't need laws, would we?

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/17/24 12:14 a.m.

In reply to prodarwin :

HHO is simply a tax on all the people who didn't pay attention to the law of conservation of energy in high-school physics.

I have a similar argument with old timers who refuse to believe that a VFD is better than a rotary phase converter. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/17/24 8:37 a.m.

I had not heard of most of these, except the classics like chemtrails and moon landing.  I feel a bit dumber for knowing they exist.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/24 3:30 p.m.

For giggles, Ima gonna start one: 5G enables your phone to blow up on command. The Chinese have the codes....

But seriously, after what just happened in Lebanon and Syria, that little piece of hardware looks a bit more sinister.   

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
9/17/24 6:14 p.m.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/17/24 6:27 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

When you pay the uninsured motorist fee, you are declaring your own financial responsibility in the case of an accident.  It's not meant to get them out of paying anything.  I have heard that the state is planning on doing away with the uninsured motorist fee, and requiring every driver to at least carry liability.  If you get caught driving without insurance in VA it's automatic license suspension and a hefty fine.  

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
9/17/24 6:57 p.m.
ShawnG said:

In reply to prodarwin :

HHO is simply a tax on all the people who didn't pay attention to the law of conservation of energy in high-school physics.

I have a similar argument with old timers who refuse to believe that a VFD is better than a rotary phase converter. 

Eh, the 'tax on idiots' argument is a slippery slope.  Its a scam.  Its a low consequence one and can be disproved with google, but I would not be opposed to the FTC slapping some of the vendors with fines (although they should attack MLMs first).

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/24 8:08 p.m.
ShawnG said:

In reply to Colin Wood :

I seem to remember Wally mentioning something about convincing a kook on the bus that the statue of liberty was actually covered in green plastic.

New York stripped off the copper cladding and sold it for scrap to help with the city budget or something.

Reagan sold the copper to fund the cold war bankrupting the Soviets.  They wrapped it up to "restore" it and it was a green as the day they started. I was disappointed that the story didn't take off as well as I hoped. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/24 10:47 p.m.

In seriousness: the "Making of Liberty" documentary has a lot of great content about the restoration they did for the bicentennial. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/17/24 11:41 p.m.

In reply to prodarwin :

I didn't realize it had evolved into something beyond people building crap out of the plumbing aisle to install in their cars.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
opH4xmBXQVHurl77IDkOspjIbXit0ayhirsrLzzfuLNAnROLdDxrPuUjJNnfG1Cv