Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/5/17 6:35 p.m.

Our club's little all-in-one PA system bit the dust. Soliciting advice on getting a good small self contained unit for doing drivers meetings, novice walks, etc. Needs some projection, but will really only be used for spoken word, and not for continuous play-by-play. Rechargeable strongly preferred. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Budget around $300.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
4/5/17 6:56 p.m.
Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
4/5/17 7:05 p.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/5/17 10:11 p.m.

In reply to EvanR:

Thanks. I saw those. Any experience with Behringer? My only hesitation is that the old system was 50 watts and not quite adequate. I don't need JBL, but I'd like some portable punch.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/5/17 10:22 p.m.

We have the predecessor to this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/roland-ba-330-stereo-portable-pa-system?rNtt=portable%20pa%20system&index=18

It's taken a lot of abuse, and puts out some pretty fair sound.

That Behringer looks like a pretty fine deal, though.

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
4/5/17 10:29 p.m.

We use this one from Costco and it can be linked through Bluetooth, or use a standard microphone and it plays radio stations https://www.costco.ca/ION-Total-PA-Pro.product.100341783.html But if I were you, get an FM transmitter and get your members to turn on their radios

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
4/5/17 11:20 p.m.

Behringer is considered the best of the low-end brands. Don't judge by wattage alone. Just like 120hp is good in a VW Beetle and bad in an F-350, 40 watts is not always a measure of how loud it will be.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/6/17 6:57 a.m.
loosecannon wrote: But if I were you, get an FM transmitter and get your members to turn on their radios

That won't work and we don't need it because we don't do play-by-play. We need PA to address the drivers' meeting, novice course walk, and trophy talk at the end of the day.

That ION unit looks pretty good, and so does the Behringer. The Roland sounds great I'm sure but it's about bucks bucks bucks more than I prefer to spend. Thanks for everybody's input!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/6/17 7:14 a.m.

Does the ION unit have a battery? That's pretty important.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/6/17 7:23 a.m.

A PA for driver's meetings? How many people?

Maybe I just recall the guys in the Philly region having loud mouths, but RedGT can confirm.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f2EL8ilkE9dmJFA27QJ1rOwOCAZ0tUIFVdlxM35D7adDge1YZKaiXxsC0a90v5us