zordak
zordak HalfDork
9/30/24 4:55 p.m.

Today is the first day I did not have to go to work for the rest of my life.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/30/24 5:01 p.m.

As is traditional. 

SCREW YOU!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/30/24 5:08 p.m.
zordak said:

Fan-tas-tic, man!  Massive congratulations to you!  I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.  Got any plans?  It's OK if you don't.

Looking forward to joining you in... about 80 days.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/30/24 5:43 p.m.

Congratulations GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY | Quizalize

I hit the last of three "OK to pull the trigger" milestones just a week ago.

Portfolio value = March 20th.

60 years old = Late June.

20 years of service with my main company = September 20th.

I've always feared failure more than death and now that I've crossed the finish line of success, the fear is gone which makes showing up to the office far, far less stressful.

My wife is much younger than I and for whatever reason, she doesn't recognize where I am in life...if I were to ask her basic questions like "how much do we have" and "how much is required to retire comfortably with a generous safely margin" I would get a blank stare.

WARNING:  Sappy & melodramatic comment to follow...

I completed my marathon of life career / economic objectives on Friday, September 20th...I came across the finish line sweaty and aching and beaten up but I was so happy that I made the 26.2 miles without failure and honestly, I was surprised by how well I finished in the ranking.

Nobody was there at the finish line to congratulate me...welp, do the right thing even when no one is looking. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/30/24 6:17 p.m.

Good on you!

A little side story: My dad was super-smart. 160ish IQ. Yet he spent a career as a driver, then dispatcher for the San Francisco municipal transit. He has a masters degree from a prestigious institution and once I asked him why he wasn't a tenured professor or something like his younger (lower IQ) brother.  His answer was that he wanted to pursue his interests without the burden of expectations. Well, now that I'm 61YO and looking at my screwed-up life I finally get it. He retired with his sweet union defined benefit retirement plan at an early age. Guess he was smart after all.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/30/24 6:35 p.m.

It took me a year to not wake up at 5:00 am!  DO NOT  miss the State Worker Gran Prix down 87.

I went back part time during Covid, and even at $52/hr, I'd have to really think about it.

Congrats Zordak, enjoy the ride.😎

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
9/30/24 6:40 p.m.

Congrats!

I'm nearing the finish line...not like I'm keeping track of it, or anything. wink

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
9/30/24 6:46 p.m.

Congrats!

You gonna love it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/30/24 7:15 p.m.
zordak said:

Welcome to the club.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/30/24 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

"pursue his interests without the burden of expectations".  That resonates with me.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/24 8:21 p.m.

Congratulations. I just turned 69, retirement is a theory at this point. Luckily I'm healthy. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
9/30/24 8:48 p.m.

Congratulations!!!  I'm 18 months into retirement and now find myself working more than I ever did before I retired.  laugh   The key difference...and it's a big difference...is all the work I do is because I WANT TO not because I have to.  I'm thrilled pursuing the things I've only dreamed of in the past.  Opportunities are popping up left and right and I'm seizing the moment.  For example, I may wind up working the Mecum auction in Kissimmee in January.  That would be awesome!!!  Reminds me, maybe I should update my thread.

Enjoy your new life!!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
9/30/24 8:59 p.m.

I retired 16 years ago. Never missed going to work one little bit, although I did miss the folks I worked with. I've managed to keep myself busy enough to not be bored....played with cars, golf league, and hockey until health issues intervened. I need to find something to occupy my time now that fits with my limitations, but otherwise life has been very good. Enjoy your new found time !!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/30/24 9:14 p.m.

Welcome to the club.  Enjoy the first six months that will feel like a vacation or playing hookey. The new reality takes that long to sink in. 

I am about three years in. I have always been one to seek out new learning and experiences. However, I have never bought into the contrived sense of urgency that drives the world. Retirement is working just fine.

Pretty soon you wont have a clue how you used to get so many things done in a day!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hQ4hZ0zfQvsXw2TdtfLxloOcSzM6QCEz9D060NAUyTnYOrTLXqqIQIvyNLxN0Cnn