1 2 3
Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
9/21/12 8:20 a.m.

We are just the opposite. WaHos are all over the place, but the ihop coming to my town will be the 4th one in the state (Kentucky). The closest one is a one hour drive, so I've only eaten there twice in my life.

Dammit. Now I want some hashbrowns.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/21/12 8:28 a.m.
RossD wrote: No wonder I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I've never been to a Waffle House. I wanted to try one when we went to Ohio but we did have a chance. Wisconsin doesn't have Waffle House; not up here at least.

You're missing out. Here's an easy measure of a greasy spoon chain. When there is a shooting at a restaurant, and all the GRMers are more interested in discussing the hashbrowns than what happened, THOSE are some hashbrowns.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/21/12 9:03 a.m.

Scattered and covered. Make it a double.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
9/21/12 9:13 a.m.

scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, and peppered. I also like to get a side of sausage, cut the patties up, then mix them in. Good stuff!!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/21/12 9:41 a.m.

I like my scattered and covered and then I throw some Heinz 57 and Tabasco on there.

jhaas
jhaas HalfDork
9/21/12 9:48 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: scattered. covered and smothered

YES, YES, and YES

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
9/21/12 10:16 a.m.

That's my version of a Whoopie Pie pancake breakfast. There's marshmallow creme just oozing out between the pancakes.

failboat
failboat UberDork
9/21/12 10:20 a.m.

ill take mine with a side of sausage gravy thanks

ill put that E36 M3 on everything.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/21/12 10:45 a.m.

Where do you people live that there aren't any WaHo's around? They're like 7-11's down here! I have two within ten minutes of my house, and they're so close together that you can stand in the parking lot of one and see the other one. It's like a half-mile down the road.

Haven't been there in months. Might need to fix that.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/21/12 10:47 a.m.

Waffle House......only when wasted.........but then I can't get there.

It's been years since I've had it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/21/12 11:20 a.m.

I'll have a chicken melt, Texas, make it a double plate scattered smothered covered and chunked. On my 6 mile drive to work I pass 2 WHs and there are 2 more in town. Gotta love it.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/21/12 12:19 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

There aren't any in the entire state of Illinois and all the ones in Indiana are close to Indy.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/21/12 12:21 p.m.

Oh and I like mine scattered, smothered, covered, capped, and chunked. Make it a triple and that'll be my whole meal.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/21/12 12:31 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Ahhh... another thing to look forward to on our trip down south to the Challenge. That, and the rancid farts that soon follow... oh man...

FWIW, DO_NOT_UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES hit the one a couple exits North of the best western. It is seriously THE worst restaurant I've ever been to in my life. Filthy, and we made the same mistake two years in a row; I want to say we were there for at least an hour and a half. It was insane. There's a Bob Evans a few exits up, and a good WH on the University exit. 43rd Street Deli on the Williston Exit is seriously one of the best breakfasts I've ever had. Phenomenal.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/21/12 12:51 p.m.

Huddle House. All the Way.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
9/21/12 12:51 p.m.

I can vividly recall my one trip to Bob Evans, In Bowling Green, KY. It was awesome.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/21/12 12:54 p.m.

I like Bob Evans, but for whatever reason, it always makes me E36 M3 myself violently within 2 hours of ingestion.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/21/12 1:21 p.m.
Wally wrote: Because they look at me funny

Ha ha OK, maybe over easy then.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/21/12 1:24 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: Ahhh... another thing to look forward to on our trip down south to the Challenge. That, and the rancid farts that soon follow... oh man...
FWIW, DO_NOT_UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES hit the one a couple exits North of the best western. It is seriously THE worst restaurant I've ever been to in my life. Filthy, and we made the same mistake two years in a row; I want to say we were there for at least an hour and a half. It was insane. There's a Bob Evans a few exits up, and a good WH on the University exit. 43rd Street Deli on the Williston Exit is seriously one of the best breakfasts I've ever had. Phenomenal.

I remember going to two of them in the past two Challenge trips I've been on, and both were in northern Florida.

One was in Gainesville (I think) near an Advance or Pep Boys. That one was alright, but I remember it taking forever to get our food. The other was off the highway about an hour out of the city. That one was better. Both helped to produce a perfect storm of stench that would make a grown man cry.

So Huddle House is edible? I'll keep it in mind. Some of the people I'm traveling with have a strange hatred for Cracker Barrell, so they are out. Any other down-South chains we should try for some dirty good meals?

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
9/21/12 1:40 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to 1988RedT2: There aren't any in the entire state of Illinois and all the ones in Indiana are close to Indy.

Thank your lucky stars. I can't imagine people going to them on purpose. If you're wasted and no place else is to go and your judgement is impaired than I understand it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/21/12 1:46 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to 1988RedT2: There aren't any in the entire state of Illinois and all the ones in Indiana are close to Indy.
Thank your lucky stars. I can't imagine people going to them on purpose. If you're wasted and no place else is to go and your judgement is impaired than I understand it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/21/12 1:51 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: There is a waffle house less than a mile from my house. However it is the nastiest WaHo I've ever been to. It's been dubbed 'awful house' by the locals lol. So I opt for cracker barrel and occasionally Denny's for my breakfast craves. We just found out a couple weeks ago that an iHop is coming to town. Berk yeah.

Screw IHOP. They cant even make pancakes right.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/21/12 1:55 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Spoolpigeon wrote: There is a waffle house less than a mile from my house. However it is the nastiest WaHo I've ever been to. It's been dubbed 'awful house' by the locals lol. So I opt for cracker barrel and occasionally Denny's for my breakfast craves. We just found out a couple weeks ago that an iHop is coming to town. Berk yeah.
Screw IHOP. They cant even make pancakes right.

+1. IHOP sucks massive balls.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/21/12 2:43 p.m.

The last time I ate at Denny's was an absolute disaster. Honestly, nothing about the place was acceptable. Not clean, not fast, not courteous, food not good. It will be a long time before I eat there again, unless I get Alzheimers.

IHOP is slow. Food isn't bad, but who wants to wait that long for breakfast?

Aunt Sarah's is usually pretty good, but again, not usually as fast as Waffle House. Nice thing about WaHo is you can see them cooking real food right in front of you.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
9/21/12 3:05 p.m.

One good thing about WaHo, I've seen more fights break out there than any other restaurant and not all that far behind a Nascar infield. Of course it could be the same people populating both.

The last one was over grits. GRITS! And it wasn't even the grits of either one. One thought his grits was too cold. The guy in the booth behind him opined that he hated grits. The partner of the cold grits whiner said he loved grits and went on to name all the ways grits was good.

The guy behind turned around and leaned on the back of the booth pinning the arm of the whiner. When he jerked his arm away the water glass got spilled on the grits lover guy AND THEN THE FIGHT BEGAN.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yZaUkmEju6RS4JAzLQGibsqVjbgf1pFaRFmRKEwVD5WyGUfWJ2XZHQ8y0fIGNMNA