redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
9/21/15 10:07 a.m.

Good morning everyone. I was hoping some Seattle residents may be able to give an idea of what living in South Lake Union would be like? We are down to deciding between a property there or over on Capitol Hill. With Capitol Hill I know what we're getting into, and coming from Brooklyn it's (sadly?) probably the closest we're used to. But when we checked out SLU last weekend it seemed nice, but kinda generic, quiet and not as much to do or access to things, but definitely safer. Thoughts? We basically have 24 hours to give either property our decision.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
9/21/15 10:28 a.m.

Just my quick thoughts, SLU is a commercial area with some residential (mostly apartments/condos) sprinkled throughout. OTOH, Capital Hill is a neighborhood with a commercial street (Broadway) down the middle. Both are nice areas in their own way.

Sultan
Sultan Dork
9/21/15 4:45 p.m.

I would be easy to get to Amazon..

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/21/15 5:18 p.m.

Slu is not go living unless you want to be close to work and be a drone. Move to Phinney ridge or green lake. Slu apartment prices are freaking insane for what you get.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
9/21/15 5:50 p.m.

Given the two options you listed, I'd go Cap Hill all day long. It's still a "safe" area, and I'd take it over SLU for sure. Not sure why SLU felt "definitely safer" as you said, but I would not say any part of Cap Hill is unsafe. If you said you were moving to Rainier Valley I might understand some trepidation...but in general Seattle is pretty tame relative to what you're used to either way.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
9/22/15 2:02 p.m.

Well that's true, since I heard gunshots outside of my apartment here in BK last night.

We ended up going with a place in Capitol Hill. I actually liked it since it was built on the site of the old Seattle BMW dealership and was aptly named - Pike Motorworks. Was the best deal for our first landing in Seattle and for both our commutes, and as some of you mentioned also a bit more character/stuff going on.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JFvfK9yJiMfW3uiThV2ngAVzjNIylbFwFbWIb9Mgf5ZdkFmkk7FC6CoPth6zvAxw