1 2 3
ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/1/24 10:09 p.m.

I had an English 11 and 12 teacher who was amazing. Bill McKittrick, he was the football coach and just had everyone call him Coach.

I had managed to squeak through my english classes with a C- for most of my school career

I managed to get As in his class. 

He didn't suck the life out of English literature and make it boring as hell. My English 9 and 10 teachers managed to do that. Hamlet was absolutely dreadful, so was Faust and just about any kind of poetry.

I started enjoying plays, poetry, all of it. We read (and watched Kenneth Branagh's) Henry V, I LOVED Richard III, Julius Caesar, Othello, read Walden, all of it.

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
9/2/24 5:45 p.m.
Mustang50 said:

Good decision not to try to be a teacher this late in life.  

This is very true.  Fortunately for me I had been an automotive instructor before.  The tech school job is somewhat similar to the current CC adjunct position.  Teaching for an OEM was the best at that time.  The students were all working techs and I knew their service manager.  It wasn't very often but we would have someone step out of line in training.  Road testing cars at 100 MPH, disruptive, etc.   I quick call to their service manager had them sent back to work and at least 50% of the time, fired.  It was understood that you had to be professional in the training class.  I miss that in the current CC gig.  

Brett Tower
Brett Tower New Reader
9/2/24 9:14 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

As a retired administrator, a couple of things that come to mind; finding auto shop teachers is almost impossible nowadays. Admin will be eating out of your hand. Elective classes (auto shop) can be dumping grounds where counselors place extra kids who don't actually want to be there. If you can prevent that, it should actually be fun. Just make sure that they stay off of their smartphones. Trust me on that. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/2/24 11:02 p.m.

In reply to Brett Tower :

My dad came from industrial instructing, to high school Vo-Tech. The Administrator was a good guy. He retired, and was replaced with a bean counter that , well not so good. His replacement was worse, so Dad took early retirement. Sad. 
Can definitely be a good job, under a good admin. Hope your one!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/3/24 9:50 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/3/24 9:57 a.m.
ShawnG said:

I had an English 11 and 12 teacher who was amazing. Bill McKittrick, he was the football coach and just had everyone call him Coach.

They made our football coach teach middle school geography.

I remember in 7th grade having an argument with him that there was a country between France and Spain called Andorra.  He didn't believe it.

madmrak351
madmrak351 HalfDork
9/3/24 10:14 a.m.
ShawnG said:

I remember the kind of know-it-all punk I was in highschool.

I'd rather take a beating with a brick stick than teach a classroom full of my former self.

Yes this!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
diyd5xvEiubgH7GRJx1nxfu4o2TcytEmtbW6hCvc9V9jKfNIIReYni5tHcqibWyz