SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/15/23 8:05 a.m.
Toyman! said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Toyman! said:

The rocket surgeon isn't smarter than the average Joe

yeah, he probably is.

He's not. He just has specialized knowledge pertinent to his job and field. Anyone one of us could build a rocket. All it takes is the knowledge and the drive to do so. 

I really wanted to debate you on this, but apparently you were right 

Brain surgeons and rocket scientists really aren’t smarter than most folk

Using a particular exception like Albert Einstein really doesn't count. 

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
12/15/23 8:31 a.m.

This is an interesting discussion, I think a common whattheheck DIY attitude is why we all end up spending time here.  I admit utube is a little more useful( seeing what not to do!) but the support here is much better.  

On Einstein's boat, I heard that he sailed a penguin on Carnegie Lake next to the campus.  The centerboard story might still be true though as it is rather shallow in places.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
12/15/23 10:10 a.m.

I think I've mentioned it before, but anytime a discussion of "intelligence" comes up, I always think about a quote from Smokey and the Bandit:

"When You Tell Somebody Somethin', It Depends On Which Part Of The United States You're Standing In As To Just How Dumb You Are."

It's when they were talking about artists they knew. Sally Field talks about Broadway artists and Burt Reynolds is talking about country artists.  Both know (it's assumed) the names and works of each genre of artist, but what makes Sally's artists "smarter". 
Is someone who knows all the works of Picasso and when they were painted any smarter than someone who knows all the cars built by Ferrari and who designed them and when they were built and in what number?  Is someone who's read all of Shakespeare's work and can quote lines from it more intelligent than someone who's read all of Stephen King and can quote lines from those books?  I'd argue both are equally intelligent, but there's definitely a perception that one is "more educated" than the other.

A rocket surgeon may know a lot about their field, but wouldn't have any idea how to rebuild an engine.  A competent mechanic may know how to tackle rebuilding an Audi V8, but is clueless when it comes to modern literature.  A successful author may have produced a huge body of work, but might have no idea how to update the virus software on their computer. 

A lot of knowledge is based on locality or interest, therefore, there are lots of intelligent people in the world.

-Rob

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/23 10:25 a.m.
SV reX said:
Toyman! said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Toyman! said:

The rocket surgeon isn't smarter than the average Joe

yeah, he probably is.

He's not. He just has specialized knowledge pertinent to his job and field. Anyone one of us could build a rocket. All it takes is the knowledge and the drive to do so. 

I really wanted to debate you on this, but apparently you were right 

Brain surgeons and rocket scientists really aren’t smarter than most folk

Using a particular exception like Albert Einstein really doesn't count. 

I rest my case. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/15/23 10:29 a.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

And therein lies my beef with modern education, and society's reliance on a piece of paper as a demonstration of knowledge. 

The smartest people I know rarely have the most formal education. They're the ones that can take a bit of knowledge and apply it practically, extrapolate it and use it to expand other areas that they need it for, and so on. Those are the people I turn to when I need to get E36 M3 done. It's a lot of the types here. The guys and girls that just understand how the world works, or aren't afraid to learn. HOWEVER, those guys often get passed over or flat out ignored for a piece of paper and 100k in debt when if you were to put the two side by side- maybe the results would be different. 

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/15/23 10:46 a.m.
slefain said:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on here DIY an airplane engine rebuild. Yet.

GRM Forum said:

hold my beer

golfduke
golfduke Dork
12/15/23 10:48 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Welding galvanized?  Hopping up a Ford Transit?

I remember explicitly when my dad got sent to the ER after unknowingly welding galvanized... Does that count? 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/23 10:53 a.m.

Keep a maserati bi turbo running, driving, and stopping in stock form?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/15/23 11:00 a.m.

plumbing. 

Water is the devil.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/15/23 11:10 a.m.
rob_lewis said:

Is someone who knows all the works of Picasso and when they were painted any smarter than someone who knows all the cars built by Ferrari and who designed them and when they were built and in what number?  Is someone who's read all of Shakespeare's work and can quote lines from it more intelligent than someone who's read all of Stephen King and can quote lines from those books?  I'd argue both are equally intelligent, but there's definitely a perception that one is "more educated" than the other.

I would argue none of the above are examples of intelligence. They are examples of *knowledge*, which is different. Knowledge is just information, data. Intelligence is application, synthesis, and creation.

Knowledge is being able to name all the chassis and engine codes. Intelligence is being able to diagnose why that engine isn't running, and repair it.

The person who can quote Shakespeare is not as intelligent as the person who can read Stephen King and gain life lessons from it. And vice versa. The person who uses that literature to understand the human condition and goes, "Wait, I know what these patterns of behavior mean, and that [public figure] is only paying lip service to my troubles in order to selfishly elevate themselves."

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/15/23 11:14 a.m.
4cylndrfury said:

plumbing. 

Water is the devil.

Are you any good with electrical? The principles are pretty similar.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/15/23 11:47 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

mmmh...I can change an outlet or a light fixture. Im not in a position to add a circuit to a box. 

Similarly, Ill change a faucet or change the drain to match a new sink, but I wont replace pipes.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/15/23 12:37 p.m.
ShawnG said:
11GTCS said:
ShawnG said:

"Anything anyone knows is written down in a book somewhere." - My grandfather.

Further to this from one of my college professors: " We won't necessarily make any of you any smarter but we will show you how and where to look things up to get the correct answer."  Way before the internet at this particular point in time so yeah, books rule.

My Canadian Aviation Regulations exam was all open-book.

They don't care what you know, they want to make sure you know how to find it.

Quite the opposite of the FAA exam I took. We don't give a berkeley if you know how to fly, can you figure out the cryptic question we are asking you, so you can choose one of the four answers provided that doesn't directly answer the cryptic question. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/23 12:37 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury :

We'll give you all kinds of sketchy electrical advice

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/15/23 12:55 p.m.

High pressure steam boilers.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/23 1:01 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Keith Tanner said:

Everything started as DIY at some point.

This is the first Mercury capsule being transported to the pad on a couple of mattresses.

r/space - NASA'S 1st Mercury Capsule being Transported to the Launchpad - on top of mattresses on a flatbed truck

Of course, this is how SpaceX sometimes transports Raptor engines...

I wonder why they're not using cybertrucks?

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/23 1:32 p.m.

As others have said, I think it's a combination of confidence we won't fail too badly and the willingness to fail combined that lets us try things others find well outside of their comfort zone.

I'm redoing a fiberglass boat. I have limited experience with fiberglass, but it was $200, so I had no hesitation to cut out the rotten stuff and give it a go. If I fail, I'll learn something along the way, and if I succeed, I'll have a boat.

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
12/15/23 1:47 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Keith Tanner said:

Everything started as DIY at some point.

This is the first Mercury capsule being transported to the pad on a couple of mattresses.

r/space - NASA'S 1st Mercury Capsule being Transported to the Launchpad - on top of mattresses on a flatbed truck

Of course, this is how SpaceX sometimes transports Raptor engines...

Wait, shouldn't there be a guy holding on to the rocket engines?

stroker
stroker PowerDork
12/15/23 1:59 p.m.

This thread reminds me of the movie "Used Cars" with the actor who was on "Laverne & Shirley" (Lenny or Squiggy, can't remember which as I never watched the show) having implanted a pacemaker in his friend... 

Toyman!
12/15/23 2:12 p.m.
ShawnG said:
4cylndrfury said:

plumbing. 

Water is the devil.

Or roofing?

Toyman!
12/15/23 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I've built a couple of steam boilers that operated up to about 50 psi to run steam engines. Since anything over 15 is considered high-pressure steam, BTDT. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
12/15/23 2:33 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

High pressure steam boilers.

Ever heard anybody describe superheated steam?

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
12/15/23 2:39 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I won't build one myself but I've run up to 750 PSI / 950 F (with superheat).  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/15/23 2:40 p.m.
Toyman! said:
ShawnG said:
4cylndrfury said:

plumbing. 

Water is the devil.

Or roofing?

I can clean up water. Electrical will burn my house down. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
12/15/23 2:48 p.m.

Remembering from old searches, I think applying window tint is the one area most here would recommend to hire out.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q4oXRrHpTGBMrBUly9IUfOhFeMDRw7xlRjXBSi7qRELCf41CTgpSF1DVdzPPtwlD