1 ... 3 4 5
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/16/23 3:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

My wife comes from a DIY family - including building the log house she grew up in. So when I dive under a trailer to fix a brake problem at the beginning of a 1000 mile drive home, she takes it as completely normal behavior and a bare minimum of general competency. It's so frustrating :)

I lol'd. SWMBO is the same way. Gees Dear. Are you not impressed?! Cain't just anybody do this.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/16/23 3:58 p.m.
Sunflowerbw said:

I thought there was at least majority agreement here that garage door springs weren't DIY, but besides that...

I've changed a few.

Two 1/2" extensions and using your brain makes them easy.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/16/23 4:18 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Yeah, same here. Just don't have your head in the path of the tools used to adjust the tension and your pretty safe.

Unless you're dealing with the very old school free floating coil spring type. Then get the berk out of there, and let a professional risk thier lives.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/23 6:51 p.m.
APEowner said:
Sunflowerbw said:

I thought there was at least majority agreement here that garage door springs weren't DIY, but besides that...

I replaced mine.

Came here to say this. I have been told enough times by enough people that this is a bad idea that I don't mind writing a check. Kudos to the brave souls who do their own.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/16/23 8:16 p.m.

We're talking about the big coil torsion springs above the door with the solid metal bar running through the middle, right?

The ones that have zero tension when the door is up all the way?

I'm more scared of my wife reading all the messages I send on marketplace about stuff that "ran when parked".

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/23 9:29 p.m.

I've shared at least part of this story before, but here's the short version:

I dug the graves for both of my parents. 

And, no... I wasn't involved in their deaths. There just wasn't anybody else available to do the job when the jobs needed to be done. And so I stepped up and did it myself.

#GRM

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/23 10:36 p.m.
ShawnG said:
4cylndrfury said:

plumbing. 

Water is the devil.

Are you any good with electrical? The principles are pretty similar.

It's all a hose. 

wae
wae PowerDork
12/16/23 10:42 p.m.

I wish I could say that I don't or won't DIY plumbing.  But I just discovered I've got a toilet leaking at the wax ring.  Who has two thumbs and is going to have to DIY some plumbing tomorrow?

dxman92
dxman92 SuperDork
12/17/23 1:57 a.m.

Nothing worth writing home about compared to some things in this thread but I did learn how to change a burned out headlight bulb in my Crosstrek from the powers of the YouTube.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/23 2:04 a.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

The important part there is that you didn't know how to do something, then you  learned how and did it. Doesn't matter what the thing was. That's DIY. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
12/17/23 6:23 a.m.

My house was built before electricity, and running water, so everything has been sort of scabbed in. When I reno'd the upstairs bathroom nearly 20 years ago I replaced the toilet and had to replace some of the old 3" copper pipe. The problem was that ABS is a lot bigger than the old thin wall copper so I mocked everything up, took the measurements and machined the ABS fittings on the lathe so I didn't have to raise the floor.  That was a fun job, but 15 years later the original thin wall copper drain from the second story to the basement started leaking. It was fun a) getting the old one out, and b) trying to fit the new, much bigger ABS drain pipe and the water supply lines back in the same small area going up two stories. 
It was an interesting job. 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/17/23 7:46 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I've shared at least part of this story before, but here's the short version:

And, no... I wasn't involved in their deaths. There just wasn't anybody else available to do the job when the jobs needed to be done. And so I stepped up and did it myself.

#GRM

Well played,  Sir.  Well played.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/17/23 7:51 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

That sounds like a really good way to make a big final gesture to honor two people you cared about. 

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/19/24 3:01 p.m.
Sunflowerbw said:

Ive indeed replaced garage door springs. Its one of the few jobs that I realized DURING the work that I was actively in a life and death situation...usually that realization doesnt hit until well after Ive regained consciousness.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
1/20/24 2:10 p.m.

I've been forced by economic necessity to DIY a whole bunch of stuff. Rare that I send a car out to someone elses' shop. And about the only times we hire someone to do stuff around the house is if it's legally required to have a license, which usually means "hello, Mr. electrician sir? Please fix this sparky stuff"... Renovating my wife's mom's house so we could sell it. Had to pay an electrician to replace the panel, and I farmed out the drywall cuz I HAAAAAAAATE doing drywall but I did the waterheater and the plumbing and the floors and tiles and the bathroom gutjob and the fireplace rebuild and yes a garage door spring and oh geez I don't wanna recall it all. Then in my shop I and my neighbor installed the 2post lift and I made the workbenches and installed the lights and such. Taught myself basic masonry when we replaced our fireplace, do my own welding, blah blah blah.... but yeah. NO DRYWALL. oh and no fiberglass unless it's *really* easy cuz I'm no damn good with fiberglass. I try to make up for it by being pretty good at DIY salsa. And also beer.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/22/24 11:21 a.m.

Apparently the only things stopping this forum from constructing a gold balloon is about $200,000.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6CGnb45DM6dpUWmnVZnv8w6Trmgwr9OXr69Tzw2X0ys66q3qquvaywfy7FItanXd