1 2
wae
wae PowerDork
5/31/22 10:42 a.m.

American billionaire and owner of Harbor Freight stores just took delivery of this 384-feet long megayacht. The $350 million vessel has seven decks, a pool, and a yoga studio it uses AI to stabilize the mammoth yacht on rough seas.

I had no idea that Harbor Freight was *that* successful!  I guess as much as I bemoan that it seems like nobody knows how to fix anything anymore, there are a lot of people that are out there buying tools to fix things.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/31/22 10:44 a.m.

I stopped going as much once the free flashlights showed up.

Cheeks
Cheeks New Reader
5/31/22 10:48 a.m.

the coupons are no longer good for a lot of items either, the 20-25% stuff they put out for memorial day were not good for generators, welders etc 

was a major bummer for me to find this out at the store 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/31/22 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Cheeks :

Those have been excluded for years and years though. 

They did run a coupon around new years I think though, 25% off with NO exclusions. I used it on a predator this year because I didn't notice the "one use per day" tag. I'll be looking for it next time though, 3 to 4 trips with zero exclusions in a weekend could make upgrading some stuff nice and cheap.

Cheeks
Cheeks New Reader
5/31/22 10:59 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Cheeks :

Those have been excluded for years and years though. 

They did run a coupon around new years I think though, 25% off with NO exclusions. I used it on a predator this year because I didn't notice the "one use per day" tag. I'll be looking for it next time though, 3 to 4 trips with zero exclusions in a weekend could make upgrading some stuff nice and cheap.

I wasn't aware of that, interesting 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 11:08 a.m.

I wonder how long before the yacht becomes a hammer?

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/31/22 11:12 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

A hammer is a hammer even if it hasn't been used as such yet. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/22 11:12 a.m.

Interesting article. I had read about the guy before and I knew he went from selling tools from the back of a car to billionaire. I hadn't seen where his own father sued him for "fleecing the company". That is interesting. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/31/22 11:29 a.m.

Was the yacht made in China? 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
5/31/22 11:35 a.m.

They had a 20/25% for memorial day weekend. First blanket discount coupon I've seen in ages.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 12:29 p.m.

That would be a great name for the yacht.  

I only use HF for expendables.  Sandpaper, gloves, chip brushes, and rags.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/31/22 12:43 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Funny, I get good expendibles for hf tools because the hf ones tend to be junk. (Blades, sandpaper, etc)

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
5/31/22 12:46 p.m.
fatallightning said:

They had a 20/25% for memorial day weekend. First blanket discount coupon I've seen in ages.

Mine had exclusions.

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/31/22 12:48 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

A hammer is a hammer even if it hasn't been used as such yet. 

Everything is a hammer, some things just make better hammers than others. 

I'm just trying to imagine what the combination of salt air and Chinesium must smell like. 

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/31/22 12:49 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Yeah, in my experience the expendables are comparatively some of their worst items. YMMV I guess.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/31/22 1:20 p.m.

this is probably the best ongoing coupon right now. There are a couple others but they aren't great. 

Stuff has been getting better since, or maybe along side, the coupons went away. My only real complaint from any purchases in the last 2 years are their nitril gloves being smaller (I wear a large in every brand EXCEPT Harbor freight). Haven't broken a ratchet in probably 4 years, the cheap ass 240v Chicago electric welder is still chugging along, despite being dropped countless times and used as hammers my Bauer cordless stuff is still going strong on (2 of the 3)original batteries 4-5 years in. 

Blades, sand paper, dremel bits are still pretty crap, but flap discs cutting wheels and cheap angle grinders are are still rocking. 

wae
wae PowerDork
5/31/22 1:40 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I don't really disagree with that at all:  They've certainly gone up in price over the last few years, but their quality-per-dollar has increased at a greater rate.  One of my ratchets did break recently  - it's one with the extending handle and I guess I overextended it and the ball bearings and springs went into a wormhole or something - but for the most part the tools I've bought in the last couple years have been very acceptable.  My cordless ratchet has had the crap beaten out of it over the last two years and yet it works every damn time I try to use it.  Unless I forget to plug in the battery charger, but that's hardly their fault!  The Titanium welder that I got last year is absolutely amazing compared to my old Lincoln Electric box, although it's probably not a fair comparison.  The only reason I've been doing a little more tool shopping at Menards or other places is that I'm trying to shift my spend away from China where I can and other places have more Taiwanese stuff.

They always were my go-to for the thick nitrile gloves and things like rags and cheap brushes and stuff, but I avoided their grinder discs and drill bits and blades for the most part.  My gloves I'm getting from Costco now because after the pandemic glove prices and availability got stupid and I can get 400 gloves for about $30.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/31/22 2:06 p.m.
?John Welsh said:

Was the yacht made in China? 

Does it have that Harbor Freight smell?

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/31/22 2:35 p.m.

HF has no competition with Sears gone, so honestly they don't need the coupons. At times when I would visit there I was the only person with a handful of coupons. Plus Lowes and Home Depot are not going for the lower priced tools. Most of all my tools are from Sears and HF. I even raced the HF engines in karts. I am wondering what would I do without HF.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/31/22 2:35 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

Funny, I get good expendibles for hf tools because the hf ones tend to be junk. (Blades, sandpaper, etc)

This. I stopped buying HF consumables, especially the death-wheel kind. You spend a little more and get a lot more out of the name brand stuff. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/31/22 2:55 p.m.
mad_machine said:

That would be a great name for the yacht.  

I only use HF for expendables.  Sandpaper, gloves, chip brushes, and rags.  

The yacht should be named "Hazard Fraught".

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/31/22 2:58 p.m.
maschinenbau said:
Apexcarver said:

This. I stopped buying HF consumables, especially the death-wheel kind. You spend a little more and get a lot more out of the name brand stuff. 

Yup same. Except like the wire brushes, gloves and rags.

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/31/22 3:09 p.m.
93EXCivic said:
maschinenbau said:
Apexcarver said:

Do you mean their nitrile gloves? They've never seemed like a good deal to me. Right now their 7mil gloves are $24 for two 50 packs and 9mil are $28. Or gloveworks 8mil gloves are $25 for a 100 pack.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
5/31/22 3:46 p.m.

There's a HF in most cities these day, at least around here (in thirty miles I know of 5 for sure)

Cheap tools, for better or worse, it's a popping place and I dont know anyone who doesnt get a little bit of stuff here and there from them.

6" bar clamps - I can go to HD or Lowes and spend twice as much as the unit from HF. Is it as good? I dont know, but it works for my light needs. Safety glasses for a buck. Cheap sandpaper etc Their pricing is low and so is the quality of some of their goods. On some items it doesnt matter though, the consumables, mostly.

Heck the 3/8" ratchet kit was 6 bucks or so, it's what I use at the junkyard. If I lose anything Im not out a lot of money. Its got a ton of sockets and works just fine for my junkyard needs. At home I got Craftsman, but Im not trying to take a nice piece to the yard and possibly lose it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/31/22 3:57 p.m.
dps214 said:
93EXCivic said:
maschinenbau said:
Apexcarver said:

Do you mean their nitrile gloves? They've never seemed like a good deal to me. Right now their 7mil gloves are $24 for two 50 packs and 9mil are $28. Or gloveworks 8mil gloves are $25 for a 100 pack.

Yeah but also their mechanics gloves.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8fdO3KFu3PwV3aXNuWJ4zTVsVZrBsabX0ecSTAa15dY8N4WAOHFZ2MExuOCapMx0