1 2 3
drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
11/18/16 8:45 p.m.

Good catch crankwalk.

Having just helped a vet make his appointment at the VA hospital, could I recommend your son stopping at one to see the "other side" of being in the military? Not to scare or dissuade him, but to help give him a full realization of what he would possibly face with enlisting.

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
11/18/16 9:06 p.m.

In 2013, I retired after 20 years in the Air Force. Enlisted Master Sergeant, so not a sheltered career (Officers). Got a Medical Administrative Job after basic training that took me to Japan until 2000. Came back to the states and then 9/11 hit. Took my carreer to the next level and applied to Special Duty assignments overseas assigned to the Defense Attache' System. Loved every minute of it. South Asia assignments, then South America Assignments, etc.. D.C. Training.. Loved it! A book to write in another 22 years.

If I were to do it again, I'd do the same think except taken the option to become an Army Warrant Officer at my 11 year mark. That would have given me another 40% pay, and kept me in the DAS until I wanted and not back to the Air Force after my tour was done. I was O.K. Got my Bachelors degree and also 2 associates Degrees all while in (FREE).

If your Son wants to have fun for 3 years, get the GI BILL, Deploy immediately, etc... Have him join the Marines. If he wants to do all of the above, maybe get married, promote quick, go to school in his free time, go Army. If he wants to do all of the above, plus be on a ship for 2 or the first 4 years, go Navy. If he wants to do do more than all of the above. Go Air Force.

I've worked with all of the services above extensively. I would trust a Marine above all though!

Good Luck!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
11/18/16 10:47 p.m.
Toymanswife wrote: He's already USAA eligible since I was an AF brat. Personally I'd rather him go in the AF out of all of this but I'm the mama and that's what I know. He's thinking that this is the best way to go and do college later because he's not ready for college as yet.

Not a bad idea. Was just talking about similar with friends, most of us retired military. We all agreed that when we enlisted we weren't ready for the college routine. Had to get out on our own and sow some wild oats for a while but then ended up liking what we did so we stayed in. Got my paper at age 45 via GI bill after I retired. Sometimes I wish I would have pushed my girls to military more than I did. But knowing what a woman would have to put up with and them growing up military brats not wanting much to do with it, I didn't. Neither was ready for college out of high school. Ended up OK. Oldest is 33, married w/2 sons, BS degree and a good job w/corps of engineers. Youngest is 29, engaged, already has one associates and gets her nursing (RN) certification and degree next month.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
11/18/16 10:54 p.m.
drainoil wrote: Good catch crankwalk. Having just helped a vet make his appointment at the VA hospital, could I recommend your son stopping at one to see the "other side" of being in the military? Not to scare or dissuade him, but to help give him a full realization of what he would possibly face with enlisting.

Not really fair observation. Yeah, VA has issues. Always has. Can read the news to get that. Majority of us don't really need it so we don't have to deal with it. Know others that need treatment that get treatment through Tricare (military health insurance program), medically retired. Guy at work was messed up pretty bad in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan and was medically retired, doesn't have to deal with VA.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
11/19/16 10:03 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

don't forget medical insurance

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/21/16 2:51 p.m.

Mom and Dad both Army - said join the Air Force.

Best friend in High School was a Marine - said join the Air Force

Have a buddy of mine in the Coast Guard - loves it - said if you didn't want to worry about budget at year end, join the Air Force.

There is, as mentioned, a difference in attitude in each branch. Air Force people always say it is a 9-5 you salute at. They have the nicest bases. The others are more military.

I find it funny all my hard-core military friends from military families told me if I joined to join the Air Force.

There is something in that.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/16 3:02 p.m.

He spent a couple of hours last night, talking to an enlisted navy guy. Biggest takeaway? Recruiters lie.

He's still talking about the Marines.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
11/21/16 4:10 p.m.

When I was in college there was a Navy guy who said he joined the Navy to "see the world". He did... through a periscope. That was better than ground pounding in Vietnam during that era.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/21/16 4:51 p.m.

I'm currently active duty Air Force (enlisted). I'm in almost 10 years so far. Started off TACP/JTAC and worked with a lot of Marines while CONUS and in Iraq/Afghan/etc. Few years ago I broke my back in Afghanistan and couldn't be a TACP anymore. I switched career fields to C2 Battle Space Management. No, I'm no longer in the field and I sit behind a computer most of my day. But, I have a TS/sci and I do a freaking cool job. One that I can continue doing after the Air Force for a good amount of money. I have also finished my degree. My biggest take away from working with Marine enlisted rifleman/artillery/spec ops is they are die hard Marines but when they have a family then a lot of them say, "man I should've joined the Air Force".

If you want to do something that's badass and gets all the glory then you can honestly join any branch just figure out what you want to get into. Tell him to look at all the different jobs in the different services. I think it's wise to try and pick something you'll enjoy. Nothing worse then working with a guy who don't want to be in the military anymore because he's poorly placed in a job. I know some people who could probably do the air force some favors in the Comm career field but they're stuck as Security Forces. Placing members where their aptitude can be used to the military advantage should be a goal of the military but, we're all just numbers.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/21/16 4:56 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

There are a couple places that I've not been to, but have seen through a periscope. Roosevelt Roads Puerto Rico, Kodiak Island, AK, several islands in the Bahamas, Maui. I got to actually visit more places, but those are ones that I sort of have been to.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/21/16 4:56 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: Mom and Dad both Army - said join the Air Force. Best friend in High School was a Marine - said join the Air Force Have a buddy of mine in the Coast Guard - loves it - said if you didn't want to worry about budget at year end, join the Air Force. There is, as mentioned, a difference in attitude in each branch. Air Force people always say it is a 9-5 you salute at. They have the nicest bases. The others are more military. I find it funny all my hard-core military friends from military families told me if I joined to join the Air Force. There is something in that.

There is some incorrect info in this. The Air Force certainly worries about the end of fiscal year budget. You'd be surprised where all the money goes. That's an issue for each branch.

Most definitely NOT an 9-5 with a salute. Every branch has hundreds of jobs to choose from. You could be a Marine behind a desk for 20 years or be in the Air Force pounding sand for 20 years. All depends on what job you do. We all equally hurt when its time to hurt. Nothing less military about it.

The Air Force does emphasize on getting your education but the Navy has better enlisted to officer commissioning programs (go figure ay)

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/21/16 5:01 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

If he is interested at all in Submarines and did decently in algebra in high school, being a Navy nuke can be a good deal. The entry requirements are not the easiest, nor is the lifestyle, but the training is very valuable in the real world if he is thinking of possibly doing an initial enlistment and getting out. If he thinks he might make a career out of it, than nukes typically get nice re-enlistment bonuses.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/21/16 5:30 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

I have a friend who went through the Navy nuclear sub program. He's now a Harvard statistics professor. I can't say the first is responsible for the second, or whether they're both just tributes to his intelligence and character, but they certainly both noteworthy accomplishments.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
11/21/16 5:31 p.m.

In reply to T.J.: I was originally going to join the navy nuke program, a buddy in high school did a year ahead of me. Smart dude who washed out of the program, got reassigned to driving a truck. At 19 he married a 34 year old divorcee who had a 17 year old kid.

I avoided dependas during my enlistment.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/21/16 6:18 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

This Q&A session w/Retired USM General James Mattis just showed up in my Facebook feed, and might be useful to you guys.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mind1baJw40gsMbhrVVjBfFc05QGbx8HIhGNlOyssXHQ9ng9uXmgIohJmx8dEhz8