David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/20/13 7:31 p.m.

I have stuck with the one-button Mac mouse for 25 years. I finally moved up. Since the latest OS X removed most of the elevator bar arrows, I finally needed a scrolling mouse. I tried their scrolling mouse a few years ago and hated it, but so far I'm digging the Magic Mouse. It's a mouse. It's a track pad. It's a dessert!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/13 7:33 p.m.

I like Magic Mice - I have a couple at home - but the one thing about them that bugs me to no end is that they basically do not work under Windows (my Mac Pro is dual boot).

If you have the wireless Magic Mouse, get some rechargeables, while they don't eat up batteries like some other wireless mice they don't last that long either if you use it a lot.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
2/20/13 7:51 p.m.

Speaking of Apple products, I noticed a sticker on the front of my microwave oven today. It says "apple computer." We got it as a gift in December, '86. Still works great. I had no idea they made microwaves.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/20/13 8:38 p.m.

I dig the big ol' track pad. It's like a track pad, it's like an iPhone, it eats batteries!!
http://www.apple.com/magictrackpad/

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/13 9:34 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Speaking of Apple products, I noticed a sticker on the front of my microwave oven today. It says "apple computer." We got it as a gift in December, '86. Still works great. I had no idea they made microwaves.

Well, they make stickers anyhow.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/21/13 4:34 a.m.

I'll see your magicmouse and raise you a Xerox 860 cat.

That was the best I've ever used.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
2/21/13 8:28 a.m.

When it comes to meeces, I've always used Logitech. Currently mousing with an M310 wireless optical mouse procured at a bargain price from Sam's Club. Works great, good battery life.

Not that anybody cares!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/21/13 8:33 a.m.

I'd like a Logitech G9x for my gaming PC but I can never justify spending so much on a mouse. Right now I'm using a 5-button optical cheapo mouse that works just fine.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
2/21/13 8:43 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: When it comes to meeces, I've always used Logitech. Currently mousing with an M310 wireless optical mouse procured at a bargain price from Sam's Club. Works great, good battery life. Not that anybody cares!

I've been using a Logitech wireless mouse for several years with my Macbook, it works fine.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
2/21/13 8:48 a.m.

I like the idea of the Magic Trackpad but I don't really get the need for a wireless trackpad. Are you constantly moving it around for some reason?

The lack of drivers for Windows is also a buzzkill.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/21/13 11:14 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I like the idea of the Magic Trackpad but I don't really get the need for a wireless trackpad. Are you constantly moving it around for some reason? The lack of drivers for Windows is also a buzzkill.

We wanted a wireless mouse and keyboard to keep the clutter down where the computer is. We went with the trackpad because I think that's how I think the world of IOS interfaces are going. Phones, tablets, even ATM's. I wanted our kids (still young) to be used to it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/21/13 12:03 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: It's a track pad. It's a dessert!

Say Goodbye to the Norge, kids! (yes, i know, different skit)

shifty
shifty New Reader
2/21/13 2:36 p.m.

Get the trackpad and use gestures for scrolling. Using a mouse will feel primitive.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/13 6:26 p.m.

I've been using a big Wacom tablet as my primary input device for over a decade. So much nicer than a mouse. My new one will do gestures as well as pen input, but I don't find it as response as the touchpad on my laptop. Might be because the desktop is on Win 7 while the laptop is OSX. Multitouch is something that becomes naturally REALLY quickly though.

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
2/21/13 7:05 p.m.

I use the logitech wireless keyboard/trackpad and like it a lot. I do miss the number pad though.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
2/21/13 7:18 p.m.

Having used windows 8 on a non-touch laptop, I'll guarantee you that add-on trackpads are about to be a necessity.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
2/21/13 8:50 p.m.

I use a track pad and a Magic Mouse

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/21/13 8:56 p.m.

I can't use a track-ball. My mom has one and I want to toss it out the window real quick.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EzuWvjt4rA7HwIl3GzyHottdixrPFPS7QbDueKMZK5B9NsUXD3cXYNi0xOnaqEwN