QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/23 1:13 p.m.

So I will need an adapter plate to mate a SBC/LS engine to a Subaru 4EAT transmission. I am not going to spend $2000 for the one that is made by Subarugears, although I believe that it's worth the money. This will be as close to a zero budget build as I can get. I have access to not only the bulk material from a dumpster but I am going to be learning CNC mill programming at work and things like this would be excellent "scrap fodder".

I need a resource for the ridiculous stuff like this. Like "Here's the bellhousing for a SBC in XXXX design program" and "Here is the bell housing for a Subaru 4EAT", then I combine the two while locating crank centerline and bam Sv8aru adapter plate exists. 

I think that we have mentioned trying to collect the drawings before, has anyone found a real viable solution?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
7/30/23 1:45 p.m.

Do you have access to each right now? Maybe a cover plate for either? Might be the easy button. Lay them out on graph paper and just take the measurements. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
7/30/23 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

No I don't have access to any of the drawings currently, but I am just starting the planning for this.

Manual transfer and measure is my current plan.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
7/30/23 3:22 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

To be clear, I didn't mean access to the drawings, I meant the patterns via the actual parts.  Not sure if thats what you meant as well, but clarification is always helpful.

For the SBC I would probably ask the H.A.M.B. if no one here turns up anything.  Would bet money someone there had it 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/23 3:30 p.m.

I've got SBC at work, can get it for you tomorrow. Have you googled these yet?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
7/30/23 6:24 p.m.

I know of a guy that made a motor to transmission adapter in layers !

he designed it so it could be laser / water jet cut in layers and then welded / bolted the layers together ,

Just an idea :) 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/23 6:34 p.m.

SBC bell housing pattern should be cake to find. As should LS, which is not necessarily the same. I found this in 10 seconds: https://www.gt40s.com/threads/chevy-ls-bellhousing-bolt-pattern.31312/

I have a Subaru to VW adapter, which means I should be able to come up with the Subaru pattern if necessary. Not this week, though. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/23 6:44 p.m.

Subaru: 

From here

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
7/30/23 8:16 p.m.

Hell this was on GRM already surprise Im not saying I hadn't Googled it, because I have both images saved but the ability to combine all of the resources is where I was going with the thread

I appreciate all of the help you all have given.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/30/23 8:59 p.m.

Lol@ Keith-Apparently "not this week" means"Give me 10 minutes". smiley

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/23 9:56 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dLGvZVNhp5o4P0RqKr08uRSbap4bVUXVS20eBThI34BTAFp3OUSOvHvf0QS1Ic7W