1 2
golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/1/24 2:11 p.m.

With swamp-butt season well under way, I need some advice.  I freaking STINK.  I'm not sure if my body is changing because I'm eating less like a jerk and drinking way less, but my underarm BO is just bad bad right now.  I used to be a Degree white stick classic guy, which WORKED!  BUT, they either changed their formula or our washer isn't working properly, because every single shirt I would wear would be caked with white pit-stains that only come out with endless magic eraser scrubbing.  As someone with mostly dark clothes and a work dress code, this doesn't fly either.  Old spice blue sticks used to work, but now don't either.

I've tried several of the 'non-staining' deoderants, and they don't hold up long enough for me to get home...  I've tried sprays too- nada.  Just smells like cologne-scented BO.  

What are my fellow stinky people using that A) covers my 9-10 hour sweaty workday in the heat, and B) won't make my shirts look like I've put powdered donuts under my arms...?  I welcome all suggestions.  

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/1/24 2:14 p.m.

Question:  Do you stink if you are shirtless, or is it the bacteria in your nasty shirts reactivating that smells?

Every year I have to destroy some biohazard shirts that are just toxic at the first sign of any sweat.

I can go do a shirtless 90 min hot yoga class where the sweat is pouring off and its fine though.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/1/24 2:16 p.m.

I use Old spice....whatever. It's the white stuff. It works. I can't use the gel- makes me break out. they seem to come out ok, and I wear mostly black. 

Have you changed detergent or washing cycles recently? 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/1/24 2:19 p.m.
prodarwin said:

Question:  Do you stink if you are shirtless, or is it the bacteria in your nasty shirts reactivating that smells?

Every year I have to destroy some biohazard shirts that are just toxic at the first sign of any sweat.

I can go do a shirtless 90 min hot yoga class where the sweat is pouring off and its fine though.

That's a really good question, but I think it's me, haha.  I sleep shirtless, and if I don't shower or deoderant-ize, I can be pungeant.  I definitely have some of those shirts that aren't doing me any favors though, perhaps it's time for a purge. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/24 2:28 p.m.
prodarwin said:

"Gym clothes effect" is real, once you get a shirt really sweaty it seems to stink faster if it gets sweaty again no matter how much you wash it...

I started using Old Spice Krakengard antiperspirant (not deodorant, the material should be white, not blue) as a heavy-duty option and found that it also works well for daily use, I haven't noticed any clothes damage yet, only downside is that it can get a bit itchy at times.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/1/24 2:45 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
prodarwin said:

"Gym clothes effect" is real, once you get a shirt really sweaty it seems to stink faster if it gets sweaty again no matter how much you wash it...

I started using Old Spice Krakengard antiperspirant (not deodorant, the material should be white, not blue) as a heavy-duty option and found that it also works well for daily use, I haven't noticed any clothes damage yet, only downside is that it can get a bit itchy at times.

I think that's the one I use as well. Or something out of that general line. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/24 3:07 p.m.

I sweat an enormous amount. 

I used to use Sure Solid until they changed to formula and it started leaving white goo under my arms and on my shirts. 

Now I use this stuff. https://www.drsquatch.com/collections/deodorant

No Time
No Time UberDork
7/1/24 3:09 p.m.

When you say the Degree white stick, are you talking about this one? I use it and the stick is white, but no white residue left in clothes:  

Have you tried this (or similar)? And maybe adding basic white undershirts to your wardrobe? 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/1/24 3:16 p.m.

Gillette gel, or Lume deodorant. My wife has to use Lume because of some meds that she is on that give her some bad BO - at least she says so, I'm apparently not bothered by it. 

Also, merino wool is your friend, polyester is your enemy. Merino is not hot if you get the right weave. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/1/24 3:16 p.m.

My success was using the Combo AP/D.  Not sure what all the difference is....wife says the aluminum is going to fry my brain someday......

j

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/1/24 3:23 p.m.

Another Old Spice user here.

If it didn't work for your grandpa, you wouldn't be here.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/1/24 3:35 p.m.

Has anyone else noticed the recent proliferation of TV ads for deodorant that's designed for use all over your body?  It appears there are multiple brands.  They don't come right out and say it, but the inference it's for crotch rot.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/1/24 3:42 p.m.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that the current crop of disgusting personal products advertisements needs to stop.  I don't want to be grossed out by your ad while I'm eating breakfast.  I'm dang sure not buying your product.   And no, I don't have a problem with vaginal odor.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/1/24 4:12 p.m.

I have a problem with antiperspirant/deodorants only working for a short period of time, or not working at all. Since I switched to Dove for men I haven't had that problem, and it's been at least 5 years now. They claim it's good for 72 hrs, but not for me. But it works.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/1/24 4:26 p.m.

I just the plain green Speed Stick deodorant and have ever since I had to start using deodorant as a teen. I don't care for antiperspirants as oddly, they seem to make sweat more. 

I use medicated gold bond on the undercarriage to help with that. 

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/1/24 10:58 p.m.

Also if your have insane pit hair, trim it shorter so it's easy to make sure everything there gets clean.  Applies to other areas of body also.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/24 11:09 p.m.

Old spice pure sport deodorant. The blue stick. For like 25 years now. 

Since I've started chemo, I've noticed it tends to stop working after 8-10 hours, but before that it held up to 12 hour shifts on job sites or in factories no problem, and I'm a furry fat dude that sweats a lot. 

I've always been afraid of antiperspirants, for some reason I've always thought they increased risk of clogged pores. No idea why or if there's any truth to it. But I also have sensitive skin, no dryer sheets, no fabric softener, only free and clear laundry soap, lots of soaps with artificial scents give me rashes, so I just stick to the same products that have always worked in the hygiene department. I'm gonna be berkeleyed if they ever quit making them. 

Ever since I was a sweaty teenager, I've found that deodorant just makes me smell like BO and cologne. I've been using antiperspirant ever since.

Funnily enough, I've been using Axe antiperspirant for like 30(?) years. It's one of the few antiperspirants that doesn't make me itch like crazy. I guess I'm still a teenage dirtbag that happens to be 43  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, some of the liquid aerosol antiperspirants work well. In basic training, we would spray our feet with Right Guard aerosol antiperspirant to keep our feet from sweating and causing blisters. It worked great for that.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/24 4:22 a.m.

Try Next Level t shirts. You can get them on Amazon. They're incredibly comfortable and they don't stink, even though I sweat like Ray Liota making a delivery. 

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
7/2/24 7:02 a.m.

I've never really found a deodorant that works well for me, Panoxil soap in the shower daily works for me to kill the bacteria that cause the sour BO smell, along with keeping excessive hair trimmed back.

Also a little isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel will take care of the worst of it if you need a fix asap without time for a shower

I had always used an antiperspirant my whole life until I started using Everyman Jack deodorant about 5 years ago trying to find something with better ingredients for my body. Even after a long day I still get comments about how good I smell at the end of the day. I highly recommend it. Especially now that its available at almost any major retailer, rather than only specialty shops.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/2/24 8:53 a.m.

First off, this forum always delivers!  

Second, I appreciate all of the recommendations.  I went to CVS yesterday for something else, and perused the deoderant section and WOW!  Lots of things have changed.  I basically bought 6 different sticks, and I'm gonna just do experiments for the next 4-6 months I suppose, haha.   I do really like the idea of getting rid of aluminum based deoderants, so I started there, and then bought a couple listed above as recommended- 

Dr Squatch

Every Man Jack

Degree stain defense (white tube) 

Harry's 

Old Spice Pure Sport (White stick) 

Lume Gel deoderant (I admit, I am ckeptical, haha) 

I started with the Dr Squatch because, honestly, I really liked the smell the best, haha.  I went with PINE TAR, which sounds so manly that  my beard grew extra last night.  FIrst impressions that it's thick as hell, but smells pleasant?  I'm 3hrs into a sweaty one today at work, and<sniffs>, so far so good!  I'm wearing a fresh, brandy new Hanes Beefy cotton tee today, which are notorious for the worst staining, so the jury is still out on that aspect.  

Will continue reporting back, but I really appreciate all of the help! 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/2/24 10:24 a.m.

In reply to golfduke :

Focusing on two things I think you said:  1. New or a recent change (from previous years.) 2. Deep in the height of sweat-season.

That leads me to wonder if it could be fungal.  I'm not calling you gross but rather a victim of something that found you. 

My suggestion to rule that out is to find a wash that claims to be for jock itch or athlete's foot.  Both are fungal. I'd say to do a full body wash with one of these, daily ,until the bottle is gone.  It won't hurt you...and it might help.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  You can then follow up with a lather, rinse, repeat with your favorite scented wash. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
7/2/24 12:24 p.m.

Another random data point. I've been using straight old spice deodorant for 15-20 years. Recently depending on the shirts and the blend of material I found the shirt getting funky after ~6 hours but my pits weren't rank. Just the shirt.

Forever I was using dove unscented bar soap and switched to Dr. Bronners peppermint soap. In a recent thread Woody mentioned that's the only soap that will get rid of burning house smell. Can confirm. After a bonfire or mowing the lawn etc. when I use that soap I am capital C CLEAN. In the summer months the added bonus of a cool minty feeling undercarriage really helps wake you up in the morning.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/2/24 1:01 p.m.

Mitchum unscented is my go-to. Give it a shot. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RJt2mTWXqIg1zB9Uk1vNDk2UWJRNSJQHgUNJv350mVLiiSC4c9Kj46wssOVaKl4S