1 2 3 4
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/17 3:47 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

I'll take rugby over football any day of the week for watching. More violent, less injuries, and a big one for me is NO PADS. Oddly, lower salaries, but that's another argument.

I just never understood why a 60 minute clock game took 4 hours to watch, then you see a breakdown to 11 actual minutes of "ball in play" (and 17 minutes of replay, yes 1.5 times longer reviewing the play than actually making it) and I at least say "oh E36 M3".

It's bad enough sitcoms are down to 19 minutes to have room for commercials. If we could cut commercials out of sports games, it wouldn't take a whole day to watch a game. But then they lose revenue.

I'm not a big sports person or even a small commercial person though. I go very far out of my way to avoid commercials at any and all costs, and see million plus dollar spots as a huge waste of money from the advertisers and customers point of view. Highly advertised companies and products are more likely to make me NOT use their product because they're so fixing annoying and pervasive with their advertising. I think if they can afford that kind of advertising, they could afford lower product cost or higher quality products instead.

It doesn't sound like I missed much this year aside from Alfa, which I'm sure will be flooding the airwaves soon enough.

My issue with last year and revealing them all ahead of time, it took the novelty away. I even see posters here saying they tune in just for the commercials. Enough people do that to make segments on the news about it, and taking away that surprise and suspense for a negligible amount of extra views is just bad marketing. At that point, it's no longer a Superbowl commercial, it's a commercial with a ridiculously high cost to air. At least from what I've seen, they learned their lesson from last year and didn't repeat it this year.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
2/6/17 4:12 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Nope, I'm a much happier person wishing I'll upon people I despise. It's only my opinion. Feel free to make it yours.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/6/17 4:19 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: In reply to dculberson: Nope, I'm a much happier person wishing I'll upon people I despise. It's only my opinion. Feel free to make it yours.

That's just it - you despise people you don't even know. Anger and hatred are not positive qualities and don't make your life better.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/6/17 4:36 p.m.

I find it amusing that the same folks who complain about the lack of action in an NFL game, are also fans of autocross.

just an observation.......

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/17 4:43 p.m.

Lady Gaga is very talented as a muscician. As far as her personal life and political views, well thats her business. I think people who think she is without talent have not actually looked or listen to her music, NOT just whats presented on radio or in music videos. And to the guy who wants her to die or be seriously injured because she did nothing to him (or perhaps she did), calm your tits Sir. You must have issues or an uninvited dick up your ass

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/6/17 4:46 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I find it amusing that the same folks who complain about the lack of action in an NFL game, are also fans of autocross. just an observation.......

I'm participating in an autocross.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
2/6/17 4:59 p.m.

In reply to yupididit:

Maybe it wasn't uninvited

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/17 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock:

Oh snaps!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/17 5:27 p.m.
RevRico wrote: I just never understood why a 60 minute clock game took 4 hours to watch, then you see a breakdown to 11 actual minutes of "ball in play" (and 17 minutes of replay, yes 1.5 times longer reviewing the play than actually making it) and I at least say "oh E36 M3". It's bad enough sitcoms are down to 19 minutes to have room for commercials. If we could cut commercials out of sports games, it wouldn't take a whole day to watch a game. But then they lose revenue.

From what I remember from my college days, a game took right about 3 hours. No commercials in Canadian college ball.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
2/6/17 5:31 p.m.

PuppyMonkeyBaby. Almost forgot how I annoyed a co-worker for a day after she said how much it annoyed her.

D2W
D2W Reader
2/6/17 5:35 p.m.

I liked the Audi commercial, I've got daughters and I've taught them not to take E36 M3 from anyone. However, I thought it was funny that they were at a soapbox derby event but were driving a car that couldn't take the soapbox home. At least they could have put it on a small trailer or something.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
2/6/17 5:45 p.m.

Nobody's mentioned the ghost of Spuds Mackenzie. Didn't go over well?

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/6/17 6:59 p.m.

In reply to RevRico: We're definitely on very different sides of the fence. Rugby? Not for me. I fully understand why football is only 11 minutes of game "action". I'm a sports fan...NFL, NASCAR, NHL, MLB primarily. I have no problem with commercials, and actually enjoy well done ones.

Guess that's the beauty of having so many choices.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/17 7:16 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I find it amusing that the same folks who complain about the lack of action in an NFL game, are also fans of autocross. just an observation.......

Meh, I complain about them both. I still find autocross to be the less boring of the two. Probably because I'm not subject to a commercial break every 2 minutes.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/6/17 7:25 p.m.

In reply to D2W:

I have one daughter and another on the way and I absolutely adored the Audi commercial, but the Audi part of it was tacked on. I just can't handle the "blatant appeal to emotion" hard sell.

@joe: I bet televised autocross would get a whole lot of complaints about lack of action!!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/6/17 7:28 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: In reply to dculberson: Nope, I'm a much happier person wishing I'll upon people I despise. It's only my opinion. Feel free to make it yours.
That's just it - you despise people you don't even know. Anger and hatred are not positive qualities and don't make your life better.

To be fare, I don't know the guy who ran me off the road on my motorcycle. But I want that bastard to die in a fire. Punching that dude in the nuts would , in fact, make my life better. But, that's, just, like...my opinion, man.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/6/17 7:31 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
Meh, I complain about them both. I still find autocross to be the less boring of the two. Probably because I'm not subject to a commercial break every 2 minutes.

No, you're subject to 30 minutes of just sitting around so that you can drive in a parking lot for 30 more seconds. Then a pause while someone goes to shag the cones a newbie just plowed through.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
2/6/17 8:25 p.m.

Stranger Things season 2. Ghostbusters costumes! So much want!

Halloween, FUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
2/6/17 11:51 p.m.

The third (!) Giulia Super Bowl Commerical was the one that really got me.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/1uF81gmh9IQ

Wow. I need to check this thing out in depth some time.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
2/7/17 1:21 a.m.

I felt like ~~75% of the ads were for media (TV, film, video games).

Since I don't participate in any of that, I was mostly bored by the ads.

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/7/17 7:08 a.m.

It's tiresome to me that everything now must have a political stance. So many of the commercials that I've seen had far more to do with social issues than the product they were supposedly selling.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
2/7/17 7:21 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: That's one of the cool things about football that people overlook. Because the actual amount of play is so short, all the guys are working at 100% effort. No pacing themselves like in a more endurance-oriented sport like soccer. So you've got these stupendous athletes going at each other all-out and being filmed from multiple angles. There's not much like it other than maybe hockey. Counting the seconds the ball is actually moving is like counting an Olympic 100m event as only 9.x seconds of action with a lot of standing around.

"Cool things"? That's why American football is so freaking stupid.

I find it hysterical that so many football fans say baseball is boring because there's "so much standing around." Pot, meet kettle.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
2/7/17 8:44 a.m.

The Coke ad was international and used many different languages because Coke IS an international corporation. It's consumed all over the world, not just here in the US.

At the risk of floundering (and I'm really not trying to here) the 84 Lumber ad was a pretty significant production. I'd imagine they spent a long time making it and likely bought the time slot well before the current political climate.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/7/17 8:53 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: That's one of the cool things about football that people overlook. Because the actual amount of play is so short, all the guys are working at 100% effort. No pacing themselves like in a more endurance-oriented sport like soccer. So you've got these stupendous athletes going at each other all-out and being filmed from multiple angles. There's not much like it other than maybe hockey. Counting the seconds the ball is actually moving is like counting an Olympic 100m event as only 9.x seconds of action with a lot of standing around.
"Cool things"? That's why American football is so freaking stupid. I find it hysterical that so many football fans say baseball is boring because there's "so much standing around." Pot, meet kettle.

They are different games with different rhythms. I love football, it's by far my favorite sport. That doesn't mean I have to E36 M3 on other sports.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/17 8:55 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
"Cool things"? That's why American football is so freaking stupid. I find it hysterical that so many football fans say baseball is boring because there's "so much standing around." Pot, meet kettle.

But when something happens in football, it happens! Big dudes going head to head at full speed and full effort. When something happens in baseball...well, nothing happens in baseball I've been to a major league baseball game and didn't actually notice when play started. Can't say that happens with football

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VjbYHLMq9Vu7ZpvjuRm2YQ9SVv37cWKJbbrKhlFYorScMJdavShgkgytQXwT7coL