Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
4/11/10 11:59 a.m.

On a wallpaper package:

Dry strippable.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
4/11/10 3:16 p.m.

oh yeah........I have torn off my share of wallpaper.

peel paper, wet with water spray bottle, scrape with fingers and thin putty knife, rewet, repeat, over and over and over and over and over.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
4/11/10 3:30 p.m.

How about "Some assembly required"?

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/10 5:44 p.m.

I thought it was "of course I'll call you in the morning".

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/11/10 5:56 p.m.

"Runs great, just needs a battery."

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/10 6:04 p.m.

I told my wife 23 years ago I would never do wall paper.

I vividly remember helping my parents hang some 30 years ago. It was one of the biggest fights my parents ever had.

There is no wall paper anywhere in my house. There never will be unless she puts it up by herself. I think I will be out of town that weekend.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
4/11/10 6:31 p.m.

"Ran when parked."

bamalama
bamalama Reader
4/11/10 6:32 p.m.

"just needs an oil pump"

Rustfinger
Rustfinger New Reader
4/11/10 6:33 p.m.

"No rust"

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
4/11/10 6:34 p.m.

When I moved into my (new to me) new house, my folks took one look and decided they needed to paper the kitchen. Luckily, it had not been papered before. NOW, nearly 30 years later, I have to remove the paper and several coats of paint.

Wallpaper, in my opinion, is a FAIRLY good idea that still needs a WAAAAY to go in the development dept.....even tho it is quite old.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
4/11/10 7:02 p.m.

"Nothing can happen on your first time."

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/11/10 7:31 p.m.
Rustfinger wrote: "No rust"

Went with a friend to look at an $1800 XR4Ti. He brought me along because I knew slightly more than he did about those cars, although what I do know could admittedly fit in a Dixie cup.

"No rust ever, mechanically and electrically A-1 except for stuck caliper."

It had been resprayed semi-well, and therefore semi-badly: the trim that was removed wasn't put back on, the trim that WASN'T was painted over or masked ineptly. (The side cladding was not removed) I looked underneath. Well, the framerails were still there. I reached up to see if it still had pinch rails, and the floor metal was crumbly-to-nonexistent. You could reach into the car.

"Oh, well, no rust only ever means no VISIBLE rust. Of course it has rust underneath." Did I mention that he mentioned his son has a used car lot?

Electrically A-1 also means that the dashboard doesn't work, and mechanically A-1 means the suspension is wonky, the hatch does not latch, and the engine runs extremely badly.

Apparently they also make a four door XR4Ti and they still make them in England, too! (Uh, no, and no)

$800 maybe, $1800 no, and from that seller, hail no.

"Installation is the reverse of removal."

Marty!
Marty! HalfDork
4/11/10 7:35 p.m.

"Yes, I am 18"

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/11/10 8:11 p.m.

The 2nd floor of the building we bought last year still has traces of the wallpaper from the 1930's. It's colorful, if not a bit odd by modern standards, with a nice border around the top.

The 3rd floor still has remnants of what must be the original paper from 1895. It's downright creepy...

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
4/11/10 8:19 p.m.

When I was working my way through college doing home renovations, we would test the wallpaper to see if it was really stuck. If it was, (and assuming the homeowner didn't object), we'd just spackle any obvious seams in the paper and give it two coats of latex paint......it always saved the owner money and seemed to work out fine.

924guy
924guy Dork
4/11/10 8:22 p.m.

" only a bit of surface rust," translation: both surfaces of the same metal have rust, and it has met in the middle...

"a/c needs charge," Translation: as soon as you replace the seals, receiver-dryer, and the compressor clutch, the a/c system will actually hold freon and might blow cold.

"never been in an accident," translation: vehicle has never been in an accident that has been reported.

"runs and drives," Translation: it will start, with half a can of starter fluid, and drive, backwards only, until the engine finishes huffing the fumes.

"non-smokers car," translation: there are 14 half eaten cheesburgers ground into the upholstery, and half a pound of half chewed french fries under the seats, and they never got the stink out from the relative who used the own the car and died in the drivers seat, cooking in the sun for three days until some poor unfortunate passer by found the poor sap...

"needs alignment," Translation: the frame needs to be realigned in order to correct the cars constant tendency to drive itself in circles because the dukes of hazard mogul jumping the guys teenager like to do every weekend.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
4/12/10 12:01 a.m.

"I'm on the pill."

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/12/10 9:39 a.m.

I love the whole "only needs ---- to be perfect". If that's all it needs, fix that, and then you can list the car as perfect!

Also, my mom always used a small steam cleaner to lossen wall paper up and it would peel right off.

Joey

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/12/10 9:40 a.m.

In reply to petegossett:

hey Pete, any pics of the paper from the 30's? I would love to see it!

Joey

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
4/12/10 9:44 a.m.

"It's not you, it's me".

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
4/12/10 12:35 p.m.

"I gave you a break when I didn't check the reckless driving box"

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
4/12/10 1:16 p.m.

"of course dear, as soon as were are married and buy a house....you can build a garage".

5 years and counting.

pitbull113
pitbull113 New Reader
4/12/10 1:24 p.m.

"I won't c*m in your mouth" "The check is in the mail"

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/12/10 2:55 p.m.

I recommend you go to Home Depot and rent one of their wall paper removers. It’s basically a steam generator with a ~12 foot hose and a paddle applicator at the end. They include something called a paper tiger which is an intermeshing roller tool with a bunch of tiny metal pricks (hey, just like Metallica)…Bhahaha

Anyway, you first score the wallpaper with the tool and then, hit it with steam. If memory serves, a six hour rental was only around thirty bucks and the result was not only a huge reduction in removal time but the underlining orange peel texture on the wall didn’t get screwed up and the residual glue was softened up so it could easily be removed with warm water and a little soap.

I can’t stress the advantage of using a remover enough.

Take care, Brett

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
4/12/10 4:42 p.m.
RX Reven' wrote: I recommend you go to Home Depot and rent one of their wall paper removers. It’s basically a steam generator with a ~12 foot hose and a paddle applicator at the end. They include something called a paper tiger which is an intermeshing roller tool with a bunch of tiny metal pricks (hey, just like Metallica)…Bhahaha Anyway, you first score the wallpaper with the tool and then, hit it with steam. If memory serves, a six hour rental was only around thirty bucks and the result was not only a huge reduction in removal time but the underlining orange peel texture on the wall didn’t get screwed up and the residual glue was softened up so it could easily be removed with warm water and a little soap. I can’t stress the advantage of using a remover enough. Take care, Brett

I tried one. No effect. I broke down and just painted over the damn paper.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O11V6gOSp1PbtoVzR2d9tzCMmHIPqfOGPefI3pD2Cjte5KQ7hAdyv6lj11GEqgjq