1 2 3
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/22/24 2:20 p.m.

Yeah, they've overstayed their time. Yeah, their best work is behind them. I don't care. I still enjoy watching them, and I will miss them.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/22/24 2:34 p.m.

Agreed. I will miss them greatly. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the Grand Tour specials they have done together. I am hoping they each keep going with their respective non-car shows, like Clarkson's Farm and the various James May things (like his travel show on Amazon), but we'll have to wait and see. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/22/24 2:46 p.m.

Well, I do hope they can create an appropriate sendoff.  I mean, it's been a hell of a long road.

It would be nice to to a re-cap / revisit of some of the great moments and cars but I am sure they have no access to that.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/22/24 2:59 p.m.

Do they really need to go away? I don't see anything else like it to replace them.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/22/24 3:41 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

Do they really need to go away? I don't see anything else like it to replace them.

I thought it was more that they are tired of the grind. Clarkson is 64, May is 61, Hammond is 54. And they have been doing it a long time. 

I really like May's cooking and travel shows. And Clarkson's Farm.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
8/22/24 5:11 p.m.

I think this weekend I need to binge some of the specials on Prime. 

I feel they had wanted to end it when the did the Sierra send off, but it was too much of a shock and they quickly said 'oh we'll still be doing specials' because they couldn't say goodbye, yet.

I'm sure all the specials that came out since were ones they had always wanted to do, just never were able to due to time (recording the rest of the series as well) or money/ permits/ logistics (more so BBC days), and they spaced them in such a way for release so that *IF* they couldn't finish another one (Clarkson and May *LOOK* their ages in this trailer), it was a softer going away while also still having content rolling out from solo projects so there wouldn't need to be any announcement about there being no more specials from the trio because their contract / agreement has expired.  

Is it sad? Yes. Is it unexpected? No. 

8/22/24 5:39 p.m.

I thought Clarkson got fired for making a crude Game of Thrones reference about Princess Meghan. It was already over.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/22/24 5:43 p.m.

I'm sad to see them go but the last few haven't been..... spectacular 

8/22/24 5:44 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I thought it was more that they are tired of the grind. Clarkson is 64, May is 61, Hammond is 54. And they have been doing it a long time. 

I really like May's cooking and travel shows. And Clarkson's Farm.

I'm older than any one of them and still grinding out the work every day. Most of our politicians are in thier 80s.

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
8/22/24 5:47 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Most of our politicians also don't really *do* anything other than yell at the clouds and tell kids to get off their lawn.

8/22/24 5:53 p.m.
Driven5 said:

Most of our politicians also don't really *do* anything other than yell at the clouds and tell kids to get off their lawn.

I see 20 year old crackheads Downtown doing the same exact thing. 

Will
Will UberDork
8/22/24 8:21 p.m.

Most of our politicians are in thier 80s.

This is not a good thing.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
8/22/24 8:29 p.m.

Ohhh no. Anyway... 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/22/24 8:56 p.m.

They should get together once a year for a Christmas special.

octavious
octavious Dork
8/22/24 9:10 p.m.

I'm sad to see them go, and so are my kids who have only ever seen the crazy travel episodes of TG and GT. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/22/24 10:31 p.m.

No, they hired him because he acts like Jeremy Clarkson.

Then, when he acted like himself, they got their panties in a twist and canned him.

See: Don Cherry

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/22/24 11:28 p.m.

I thought that they had gotten a little too formulaic with the most recent episodes, and with Clarkson's lack of impulse control (or however you want to describe it), it seemed obvious that the end was near. 

Still, I wasn't prepared for how much the nostalgia would hit me when I watched the trailer. 

Piguin
Piguin Reader
8/23/24 2:39 a.m.

The music does play a BIG part in bringing out the nostalgia, the one that did the trailer cut knew which strings to pull.

Even though the latest specials sure weren't as 'fresh' or groundbreaking as the old times, the production value is consistently good, and watching it always felt like hanging out with good friends you hadn't seen in ages. Not a fan of Clarkson's anticts away from the camera, but I will miss them all the same.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/23/24 7:11 a.m.

The Orangutan is 64 but looks a decade older. I've been expecting this for a few years now. I will miss the other two yelling, "Clarkson!".

Favorite quote:  "Oh, dear; I've accidentally killed James May."

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
8/23/24 7:38 a.m.

Ok, I'm in, who's with me and who will fund this new career of making Specials.  

How about a scary version, where we tour GRMers garages in Blair Witch Project style.  We light fires under asses and make E36 M3 happen, welcome or not.  There must be a few seasons worth of content out there right now.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/24 8:29 a.m.

They put out some decent stuff but I won't miss them. The same shtick gets old so I haven't watched them much since they hit Amazon. 

I've watched a few episodes of Clarkson's Farm but honestly, Clarkson is a very one-dimensional character. He's the same buffoon no matter who owns the camera and after a while, it's just not funny to me. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/23/24 8:34 a.m.

I've been reading this book for the last few weeks on my lunch break, forgot I had it.  It's divided into many small chapters and quite hilarious, goes into some of the specials, the drag car crash, how the show came to be, the various Stig's, ...  Very entertaining.

I have all the available TG seasons on DVD to keep me company, honestly I haven't been as into the GT specials.  It's funny that I can remember many of the TG shenanigans, I can barely recall what they've done on GT.  A few funny ones, quite a few duds (looking at you Mr Boat special).

It's been coming for awhile, thoughts and prayers for the people that bought Amazon Prime just for GT only for it to become a special every year.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
8/23/24 8:36 a.m.

nothing should replace them

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/23/24 8:48 a.m.
Toyman! said:

I've watched a few episodes of Clarkson's Farm but honestly, Clarkson is a very one-dimensional character. He's the same buffoon no matter who owns the camera and after a while, it's just not funny to me. 

Disagree on Clarkson's Farm. On that show, he's much more human. You can see that he actually cares about the animals and respects the hard work that goes into farming. Also, seeing him with his girlfriend Lisa shows a different side of him, as well. Yes, there are the usual "clueless Jeremy" bits, but I think those are well played on the show.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/24 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

That slight difference is what got me through the first handful of episodes. Then it was the same thing. Clarkson doesn't listen and does something stupid. Wash, rinse, repeat. I can only stand that so much before I turn off the TV and find something else to do. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zCbPUpZOoKUi4AG9O822gXzrFIOGyaYYG8ifGY3l4NY1yiRHrx14pHTzEypy8nAl