1 2
Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/11/22 7:58 p.m.

Post em. Weird, awesome, unique, or unusual headwear. (Helmets only count if they are out of the ordinary. Everybody's seen a Motorsport helmet.)

This is my Newsboy, made of tweed-

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/11/22 8:15 p.m.

I wear AAA baseball new eras exclusively. It is currently a st. Paul saints hat. Previous entries have included the rocket city trash pandas and the Osceola fire frogs. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/11/22 8:20 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Pics? Especially of the rocket city trash pandas?

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 8:21 p.m.

You have to have the outfit to go with the hat. This was the SCR-SCCA banquet. We were the life of the party. 

May be an image of text that says 'DJ'

wae
wae PowerDork
1/11/22 8:21 p.m.

Hi.  My name is Bill and I have a problem:

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
1/11/22 8:22 p.m.

Don't wear many hats, but...

wae
wae PowerDork
1/11/22 8:23 p.m.

And that's just a small sample from one of my stashes:

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 8:24 p.m.

And if I'm wearing a hat, there is usually another reason. 

No photo description available.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/11/22 8:35 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Dude, you're awesome. I have a lot of hats, but none quite so crazy as yours...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/11/22 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

st Paul saints rocket city trash pandas (this is the one I wore, they do have other designs) Osceola fire frogs- now known as the Florida fire frogs, since the braves moved out of Florida for spring training  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/22 10:04 p.m.

I've always been into hats. I wore a beret the entire year during fifth grade. Yes, I got teased. Yes, I did have to chase it around the playground occasionally (it would fly like a frisbee). Yes, I'm weird.

I wore fedoras for years when I was a horseman, but not now that they're popular with the hipsters. I have a vintage custom fedora, I really should wear it but it needs to be reblocked.

On the rare occasions when it's cold enough, I wear a flat cap that I bought in England. 

There's the traditional Florida salt water fishing hat (I'm the one with the beard).

Here's my de rigueur autocross hat: 

We have a large collection of costume hats. Here's one Halloween when we did the Little Red Riding Hood theme.

I have a collection of surgery caps, I like this one in particular.

I'd share more, but I'm stuck in isolation/covid jail and can't access them. 

Edit: rereading the first post, I see that a non-Motorsports helmet is ok. This is a portrait of me in my driving colors, painted by my dad. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/11/22 11:12 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Very nice, Doc! I've an old Mervyn's wide brim fedora that sees use as my favored camping hat. I own a ridiculous amount of baseball caps, but everybody around here wears those, so I've branched out to less common headgear. Besides, the newsboy is Harris Tweed, and goes well with kilts.

wae
wae PowerDork
1/11/22 11:32 p.m.

Oh, I missed a good one.  My wife built this one for me to celebrate re-opening bingo after the coronavirus closure:

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/12/22 2:44 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Hilarious, that. Did you receive positive reviews on it???

cheeky

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 2:48 p.m.

My long time penguin hat which work hates:

The replacement Beaver they will learn to hate:

Cowboy hat just because:

And a scarf to keep warm:

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 4:39 p.m.

Newsboy caps are what now? 

They aren't wacky or weird, they are daily wear. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/12/22 4:40 p.m.

A good cap needs a healthy bit of vertical. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 4:45 p.m.

This hat isn't wacky, but the story is a bit weird. A veteran came up to me and gave me this hat and thanked me for my ongoing support and concern. I was quite confused until he mentioned my license plate, which he thought was a plea not to forget those killed in action. Sadly "OUR-KIA" simply meant that it was a Kia owned by us. I felt bad for the confusion but he was really nice and asked that I keep the hat, which I always will. 

Saron81
Saron81 Dork
1/12/22 6:02 p.m.

I wear a lot of baseball hats. I bought this McLaren Mexican GP hat last year, and have gotten more compliments on it than any other piece of clothing I've ever worn, lol. 

I like it so much I just bought this to replace it with so I don't wear it out. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/12/22 10:03 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, hence the "awesome" part of the title. Although by construction, your first four are flat caps, not newsboys. They all look great, though!

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/13/22 11:23 a.m.

I asked my wife if her bike helmet belongs in this thread, and she said yes it does, so enjoy:

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/13/22 12:09 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

Yeah, that definitely belongs here.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
1/13/22 2:14 p.m.

wae
wae PowerDork
1/13/22 2:15 p.m.

In reply to LopRacer :

It's funny because it's bigger than a regular hat!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/13/22 3:05 p.m.

And today's hat:

Get it? It looks like a truck driving school but really it's from They Might Be Giants

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7RlJ3fbjvRqfWJtVGk4V5xQ1mITgtTtwQyzbMv2v0NS2n1BZvoxCqDtrJzJ3Ousm