1 ... 6 7 8 9 10
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/7/24 11:13 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

If you could dig it out, square it up, and define the area with a wooden form, then concrete might do well.  Concrete doesn't like to be thin and feather edges will break right up.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/7/24 11:20 a.m.

So, I have two BMW style 42 2-piece wheels in 17 x 8.  The center sections look great and they are straight and true.  The rim part of the wheel looks like crap.  The clear finish has been breached and there is a bunch of ugly corrosion going on under there.  Nobody I've talked to wants to touch them with regard to refinishing.

Value?  Off to the scrapper?  Trying to offload some of the piles of crap I'm constantly having to work around.  Something has to go!

I have two Adirondack chairs and a small side table. All are made out of pine and are bare wood (untreated). I would like to paint them turquoise. They will be outside in the weather.

What paint or stain should I use?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/9/24 9:20 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

I have two Adirondack chairs and a small side table. All are made out of pine and are bare wood (untreated). I would like to paint them turquoise. They will be outside in the weather.

What paint or stain should I use?

I would suggest the best quality exterior latex at your local big box.  Anywhere that paint gets knocked off during use should be touched up at the end of the season.  Figure on re-coating every few years.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Thanks!

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/12/24 5:57 p.m.

2022 Buick Encore GX 1.3T. Anybody have the skinny?  Good, bad or indifferent?

Nick?

Pete?

Beuller?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/12/24 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

https://www.edmunds.com/buick/encore-gx/2022/consumer-reviews/

Doesn't look especially wretched based on these comments.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/13/24 8:39 a.m.

Was hoping to get something from the people who work on this stuff. In this case I guess no news is good news. Personal reviews are very good.

I don't know what his thing is with Buick, but it's his decision. I'm not averse to a 3cyl turbo, we just don't know anything about it, but it gets him in a car two years newer with AWD and only 20k on it.

Regarding the Regal,

After some back and forth, and an estimate from the body shop that was just under $10k vs almost $18k from the adjuster,  he's just frustrated and going to take the $25k he's been offered. He'll get everything back he has in it and he's ready to move on. I'm tired of hearing about it.

I don't know what's going on here, but it's either incompetence, or shenanigans. I don't see how it's not one or the other.

I noticed today while mowing the lawn that we have a ton of toads and frogs on our property.

Toads and frogs eat bugs.

I hate bugs.

What would be a GRM method to construct durable toad houses? Precast concrete blocks? Clay pots? DIY concrete molds?

A hollow concrete block is like $2.50 at LowesDepot vs $40+ for a garden decoration.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/15/24 10:52 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

I noticed today while mowing the lawn that we have a ton of toads and frogs on our property.

Toads and frogs eat bugs.

I hate bugs.

What would be a GRM method to construct durable toad houses? Precast concrete blocks? Clay pots? DIY concrete molds?

A hollow concrete block is like $2.50 at LowesDepot vs $40+ for a garden decoration.

Let them dig holes. 

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

It's funny you mention that. I saw at least 5 toad hidey holes while mowing the front lawn today. About half were occupied.

I just saw at least 20 in the backyard. You could hear them hopping through the grass. They were everywhere. We've had a few major rain events the past few weeks. I wonder if there was a big hatch. Either way, I'm happy to see them.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/15/24 11:35 p.m.

I just realized that I haven't seen that big toad that lives just inside the front door of my shop this year. Now that I think about it he's probably been there the better part of ten years anyway. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/23/24 8:11 p.m.

I once left a pair of boots on the back porch overnight.  When I stuck my feet in them the next morning, I found to my surprise (and his) a big fat toad in there!

No toads were harmed in this bizarre occurrence.  I do still carry the trauma and have flashbacks each and every time I put shoes on.

I have heard that inverted clay flowerpots with a notch knocked in the top (bottom) edge work well.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/25/24 1:32 p.m.

How do you pronounce the name of the Middle Eastern country of Qatar?

I've always assumed it was pronounced "Kuh-TAR".

But on the radio this morning, several different people were pronouncing it like "Cutter".

Am I the idiot, or are they?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/24 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

According to my wife, who lived there for a year, "Kuh TAR" is the preferred English pronunciation. 

Cutter is a new one to me, though I've heard "Kay TAR" a lot in the past. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/25/24 2:00 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Thanks.  That's what I thought, but several different people were saying it "Cutter" on the air this morning, with enough confidence to make me question myself.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
6/25/24 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

We have a 2020 Encore GX since new. Have close to 50K kilometres so far. Has the 1.3T and the 9 speed transmission. The car has been flawless for us. It's our first Buick and we've been very pleased. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
6/27/24 8:04 a.m.

Does anyone have a more professional way to say "this bolt doesnt have a torque spec, impact it on till it stops turning, like 3 ugga duggas."

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/24 8:52 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

115 ft/lbs.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
6/27/24 8:52 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Just specify a giant value, 300 ft-lb or something. They won't hit that, but they'll impact it to death

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/27/24 9:07 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Does anyone have a more professional way to say "this bolt doesnt have a torque spec, impact it on till it stops turning, like 3 ugga duggas."

Make it German.

Gudundtite.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/27/24 9:35 a.m.

In reply to eastpark :

We did a lot of research and, surprisingly,  weren't able to find anything negative, other than a few reviewers who said it was  slow. We didn't find it slow, and he is supposed to pick up a 2022 with 14,000 km on it tomorrow.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/27/24 4:50 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
Mr_Asa said:

Make it German.

Gudundtite.

Came here to say this, along with a reference to a German virgin.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/27/24 4:52 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

You can't say that, women will stop going to the races

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/27/24 5:04 p.m.
Peabody said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

You can't say that, women will stop going to the races

Omigosh!  You're right.  I lost my head for a second.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F4nkshx.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=42e82dc4bcbb901ea7d99135b4bc9ae3aee6f6c3c51e5e39fb3b5589754b788c&ipo=images

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ngYuaf239IGk2nMPQP63u57UAjGHzBVdHfsrNYLvh49oQcmLWVmJ3cA2twmxcpAR