1 2 3 4 5
Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
4/28/11 10:51 a.m.

Hope you have a speedy recovery! I know a couple of women who had the surgery and were thrilled, not only by the lessening of back and shoulder pain, but that they could now buy swim suits and bras off the rack.

barnca
barnca HalfDork
4/28/11 10:53 a.m.

ahh thank god this thread came back to the top..

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/28/11 10:55 a.m.

Oooh, had a friend who went through that several years ago, and it did NOT look like fun. I hope you're feeling better, and FWIW, she was extremely happy with the outcome--felt way, way better after the surgery.

Margie

dollraves
dollraves Reader
4/28/11 11:11 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: doll Not knowing much about the actual procedure- do they have to go through any muscles to do it? I very much suspect the answer is no, since most of the mass is over the chest.. But, anyway, my wife and one of her best friends had surgury that cut into muscles in their abdomen. One of the best recovery things they did was walk a LOT. Considering one of your goals is to help your back, I bet it would help you, too. Good luck with further recovery, and I'm quite happy that it went so well that you compelled to reach out about it!!

Great question... no, fortunately for reduction they do not cut into the chest muscles (I hear they do for augmentation, though). They do pretty much hack you apart and stitch you back together, though. I am bruised from the collarbone down, and around the sides to about mid-armpit. I'll have some impressive scars, fortunately most of it on the underside.

Great tip on the walking - I've done that a couple of times this week! I think it will be much more comfortable once the stitches are out.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
4/28/11 11:21 a.m.
barnca wrote: just out of curiosity..was it 2 pounds total.. or 2 pounds each? my wife talks once in a while about having this done.

It was two pounds total. 1.6lbs of actual breast tissue, and another estimated half pound of lipo around the base and under the arms to smooth things out.

FWIW, I started out as a 44FF. I lost 30 lbs and went down/up to the 40H/J range. After I'm all healed up, I should be in the D/DD range.

There's an extra upside to getting the reduction. I had reached a very frustrating plateau in my weight loss and worried that, if insurance came back saying I needed to lose more weight, I wouldn't be able to. (Fortunately, the insurance company approved it.) My surgeon told me not to worry; his experience (and I've since seen several studies confirm this) is that top-heavy women pack weight on around the middle, and after reduction a lot of that weight will come off. The theory is that nature is trying to lower the center of gravity and holds onto that weight at the middle. Most of the other women I talked to who had had the reduction said they lost 10-15 lbs in the month or so after the surgery. Two weeks out, and already down 9lbs, so I'm optimistic that once I'm able to exercise comfortably, I'll quickly get back to my ideal weight (probably another 15 lbs from where I am now).

dollraves
dollraves Reader
4/28/11 11:29 a.m.
KATYB wrote: mr joshua correct and i love football. hate the sight of guys in spandex. hate getting dirty. have an unnatural fear of bugs. get sick at the sight of blood unless said cut happens when working on a car. almost always have pink french tip nails and my so laughs at me because i cant be trusted with finances in either an autoparts store or while shoe shopping.

I'm the opposite side of the coin - I'm straight, but a thorough tomboy! My formative years were spent with a brother, stepbrother and halfbrother. I used to get into so many fights in high school because I'd jump on the bully picking on a friend. I LOVE men in spandex (it's the only reason I go to baseball games), love getting dirty, love most bugs/snakes/etc. I can't stand make up or manicures, but I will walk on broken glass to get a decent pedicure. :D

And, like you, I cannot be trusted in an autoparts store or shoe shopping. I have actually bought a pair of shoes because they matched my car, and I have also bought a pair of shoes with the intention of taking them to a bodyshop and having my car painted to match...

Thanks for piping up, katyb! I love getting to know more about the folks on the forums! GRM has fostered a great community, and I'm so pleased to be a part of it.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
4/28/11 11:49 a.m.

In reply to dollraves:

I think I like you.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
4/28/11 12:00 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Hope you have a speedy recovery! I know a couple of women who had the surgery and were thrilled, not only by the lessening of back and shoulder pain, but that they could now buy swim suits and bras off the rack.

Intended, or not, this made me LOL.

I really needed that just after getting the results from an eye exam.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
4/28/11 12:21 p.m.
dollraves wrote:
barnca wrote: just out of curiosity..was it 2 pounds total.. or 2 pounds each? my wife talks once in a while about having this done.
It was two pounds total. 1.6lbs of actual breast tissue, and another estimated half pound of lipo around the base and under the arms to smooth things out. FWIW, I started out as a 44FF. I lost 30 lbs and went down/up to the 40H/J range. After I'm all healed up, I should be in the D/DD range. There's an extra upside to getting the reduction. I had reached a very frustrating plateau in my weight loss and worried that, if insurance came back saying I needed to lose more weight, I wouldn't be able to. (Fortunately, the insurance company approved it.) My surgeon told me not to worry; his experience (and I've since seen several studies confirm this) is that top-heavy women pack weight on around the middle, and after reduction a lot of that weight will come off. The theory is that nature is trying to lower the center of gravity and holds onto that weight at the middle. Most of the other women I talked to who had had the reduction said they lost 10-15 lbs in the month or so after the surgery. Two weeks out, and already down 9lbs, so I'm optimistic that once I'm able to exercise comfortably, I'll quickly get back to my ideal weight (probably another 15 lbs from where I am now).

I can't imagine running with two fleshy pendulums attached to my chest.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
4/28/11 12:24 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: I first thought to stop reading here:
dollraves wrote: You are NOT welcome to ask for pictures or cop a feel. Yes, they are awesome breasts, but they are MY awesome breasts...go get your own.
I got to say, sure a big set can be fun but I am on your side. I bet the fun wears off when you have to take them with you everywhere you go. I am sure that can be a big burden. Well done.

Heh. These are two that acquaintances from the Internet have already asked, so I figured I'd go ahead and address them. For the record, I responded with a sympathetic, "I know you're trying to be humorous, but you're coming across as an insensitive jerk. Would you like to try this again?"

I was very sheltered and shy growing up, but once I developed, I got a LOT of attention. I was fortunate to be self-aware and realize that I needed to direct how that attention was directed at me. I will admit that being an attractive woman with large breasts was a TON of fun. :D But you are correct, dragging that stuff around got old as I got older.

[Note to Dads: Do not be afraid to talk to your daughters about the attention their breasts and bodies will draw from men. The attention cannot be escaped, but how they deal with it and direct it is very much in your hands. I am VERY GRATEFUL to my father and stepfather for their frankness and help in that arena!]

As for being open about the reduction (not just here, mihnd you)...well, people are going to talk; I would rather be a part of the discussion. Thanks again to GRM for fostering such a great community that I felt I could start a thread, and thank you guys for keeping it clean and being so positive!

dollraves
dollraves Reader
4/28/11 12:28 p.m.
MitchellC wrote: I can't imagine running with two fleshy pendulums attached to my chest.

I couldn't, either! I mostly stuck to swimming. :D

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/28/11 12:30 p.m.
dollraves wrote:
MitchellC wrote: I can't imagine running with two fleshy pendulums attached to my chest.
I couldn't, either! I mostly stuck to swimming. :D

Built-in Swimmies!

barnca
barnca HalfDork
4/28/11 12:36 p.m.

i am so glad i had a boy.. my wife is well built in the chest area.. and i am tall and used to be blonde.. now just bald... i had visions of when my wife told me she was pregnant of my future, opening the door with a gun in hand.... hows tha sayin go.. have a boy you have to worry bout one pecker. have a girl gotta worry bout a whole bunch.. or however that goes.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
4/28/11 12:38 p.m.
dollraves wrote: ... My surgeon told me not to worry; his experience (and I've since seen several studies confirm this) is that top-heavy women pack weight on around the middle, and after reduction a lot of that weight will come off. The theory is that nature is trying to lower the center of gravity and holds onto that weight at the middle....

So you are actually a living racecar! Your body wants a low center of gravity to help with the turns!

Congrats on successful surgery, and good luck with the continued health quest. My wife lost 60lbs a few years ago, I never cared about her size, but I love seeing her that healthy.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
4/28/11 12:40 p.m.

I helped my mom through something similar but different. A Bilateral Mastectomy. Not sure how the recovery compares, but it was hell for my mom (they do cut into muscle for hers).

Wish you all the best on your recovery.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
4/28/11 1:49 p.m.

@dollraves yes if augmentation is under the muscle(about 90%) then ya they cut and lift muscle off chest wall for room for implant(not looking forward to recovery) lol hmmmm car painted to match shoes.... now there is an idea i like that :)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/28/11 1:52 p.m.

I knew a girl who had this operation done.. unfortunately she did it too early in life.

All through HS she was lopsided. A D cup on one side and a C on the other. For graduation she talked her parents into a reduction on the larger breast.

Half way through college, the once smaller breast filled out to a D... I don't know if she had it reduced or not

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Reader
4/28/11 2:28 p.m.

dollraves, as far as weight reduction didn't someone have an organ removed before the last challenge? As far as your recent surgery please accept a non sexual brotherly type internet hug. I will withhold the comments about Amazon women for a more appropriate time. Please keep us abreast of your recovery .

cwh
cwh SuperDork
4/28/11 2:54 p.m.

We've seen pics of Dollraves at the Challenge, and her situation was somewhat evident. However, I think we would all like to see a pic of KatyB.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
4/28/11 2:56 p.m.

cwh and im not sure if i should share considering my situation as you are aware.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
4/28/11 2:57 p.m.

My apologies.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/28/11 2:59 p.m.

Wife's been thinking about this for a while. She's carried around her DD's since she was 12. Her straps have worn notches in herchoulder blades from the bras required to keep the girls tied down.

Congrats and hope you have a swift recovery!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/28/11 3:01 p.m.

Doll,

It took another thread to propmpt me to open this one and I have to say "Thank You" I am glad you posted this, I have a very close friend who has been pondering this same decision because of the same reasons as you. I will share the thread with her (including the ugly portions to show that her like minded nay-sayers are wrong).

I hope you recover swiftly.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/28/11 3:09 p.m.
KATYB wrote: cwh and im not sure if i should share considering my situation as you are aware.

LOL Katy, you told me and I am still here, right?

KATYB
KATYB Reader
4/28/11 3:14 p.m.

john yep. and if you look i actually made a thread and posted a picture. so yall gotta be nice.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fGOWks17SFbtmmTFka1dL1EbKyAjDoF0jENzJj5YqhrAFGS7WDfDLHagFfopWcvc