1 2
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
11/1/12 12:09 p.m.

Sorry if this a repost, but I had never seen this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20MCxSFgrnc

This is why you should always know the height of your truck and trailer.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
11/1/12 12:23 p.m.

Thanks! I enjoyed that.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/12 12:30 p.m.

LOL! A lot of those trucks aaaalmost made it!

The truck with that octagonal thing on the back gave it a HARD hit. Harder than a lot of the trucks that were stopped dead it seems.

The best has to be the truck with a ton of boxes that gets some knocked off, and then the identical truck right behind it sheepishly does the exact same thing.

I like the clean AC delete it did on the bus and gooseneck trailer

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
11/1/12 12:30 p.m.

What's really stupid is that not only is the bridge clearly marked, the road leading to it has plenty of signs relating to the fact that the bridge is 11ft 8. Yet people still hit the bridge.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
11/1/12 12:43 p.m.

I did notice the big steel beam in front of the bridge, clearly this problem has been going on for a while now. Still one tough bridge, but it has to be to carry heavy trains. It clearly laughs at the trucks feeble attempts to harm it.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
11/1/12 12:46 p.m.

One might think to excavate below the bridge to give them a few more feet.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
11/1/12 12:53 p.m.

I can watch that all day long. Good stuff

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
11/1/12 12:57 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: The best has to be the truck with a ton of boxes that gets some knocked off, and then the identical truck right behind it sheepishly does the exact same thing. I like the clean AC delete it did on the bus and gooseneck trailer

those looked like hay bales

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 New Reader
11/1/12 12:58 p.m.

There is a bridge similar right by my work. It is deceiving be cause the road under it goes up hill. Trucks clear at the bottom but get wedged at the top all the time. They don't carry the speed these guys are though!

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/1/12 1:11 p.m.

Sounds like the eastbound lanes of I-465 @ allisonville on Indy's north side.....it wasn't a low clearance issue until they repaved that stretch of 465 raising it about 6"......they ended up having to rebuild the overpass....

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/12 1:23 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: those looked like hay bales

I was wondering why the boxes seemed to be full of hay or spaghetti. I think it's more like a hay cube than a bale, I expect bales to be cylindrical

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/1/12 1:39 p.m.

yes knowing the height of your vehicle is good... but it seems to me that there should be a sign overhang prior to the bridge... pretty much every fast-food drive through has one... would it be so hard at the bridge?... granted with how fast people are going I doubt some would notice... but some would...

and I wince in pain every time I saw a Uhaul/penskie/etc rental truck and hope the renter got the insurance for it (and prob didn't)

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
11/1/12 1:55 p.m.

In reply to donalson:

In the FAQ section of 11foot8.com

"The city of Durham has installed "low clearance" signs on each of the 3 blocks leading up to the trestle (Gregson is a one-way road). There is a "overheight when flashing" sign with flashing lights that are triggered by vehicles that are too tall. Several blocks ahead of the trestle the speed limit is 25 MPH. The folks from the city planning department said that they made an effort to prevent accidents."

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/12 2:03 p.m.
donalson wrote: and I wince in pain every time I saw a Uhaul/penskie/etc rental truck and hope the renter got the insurance for it (and prob didn't)

I don't know about the others, but U Haul's insurance excludes damage to the top of the box from hitting low bridges and canopies. They were even nice enough to put a big sign on the dash to let you know. So even if you got the insurance, you're screwed.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
11/1/12 2:06 p.m.

That reminds me, Toyman, we have a 10'4" in town that one U-haul place makes you sign a seperate wavier for, to the effect of "I will not drive under this underpass on Gallatin St." They've had luck with the note, even if it might be questionable legally.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
11/1/12 2:11 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
I was wondering why the boxes seemed to be full of hay or spaghetti. I think it's more like a hay cube than a bale, I expect bales to be cylindrical

there are square bales, which are really rectangular, and round bales, which are the big rolled ones. the square ones are sized that you could buy a few and toss them in the back of your pickup, the round ones are the size of a car.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
11/1/12 2:16 p.m.

why did the word "excellent" keep coming out of my mouth after I watched a hit?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/1/12 2:20 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
donalson wrote: and I wince in pain every time I saw a Uhaul/penskie/etc rental truck and hope the renter got the insurance for it (and prob didn't)
I don't know about the others, but U Haul's insurance excludes damage to the top of the box from hitting low bridges and canopies. They were even nice enough to put a big sign on the dash to let you know. So even if you got the insurance, you're screwed.

Budget's is the same way. The fancypants insurance SPECIFICALLY excludes low overhead damage and 'curbing' the tires. Which are of course the two things most likely to happen...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
11/1/12 2:35 p.m.

This was on Garage Journal.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/1/12 4:15 p.m.

+1 for 11foot8.com, I've been watching for years.

The linked vid is pirated from the original poster's account, look for user "yovo68" on youtube for 50+ of these vids, from multiple angles.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/12 4:39 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to donalson: In the FAQ section of 11foot8.com "The city of Durham has installed "low clearance" signs on each of the 3 blocks leading up to the trestle (Gregson is a one-way road). There is a "overheight when flashing" sign with flashing lights that are triggered by vehicles that are too tall. Several blocks ahead of the trestle the speed limit is 25 MPH. The folks from the city planning department said that they made an effort to prevent accidents."

Basically those folks are tools and therefore fodder for ridicule and derision. Honestly, flashing yellow lights! How do you miss those?

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
11/1/12 5:23 p.m.
Strizzo wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
there are square bales, which are really rectangular, and round bales, which are the big rolled ones. the square ones are sized that you could buy a few and toss them in the back of your pickup, the round ones are the size of a car.

I've been told that the cylindrical bales are illegal in Tennessee because the lawmakers there wanted to be sure livestock there gets a square meal.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
11/1/12 5:32 p.m.

cool

Will
Will Dork
11/1/12 5:58 p.m.

Well, this WAS the world's toughest bridge.

Thanh Hoa Bridge

Took over 850 sorties and more than 300 bomb hits to knock it down.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
11/1/12 6:26 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: +1 for 11foot8.com, I've been watching for years. The linked vid is pirated from the original poster's account, look for user "yovo68" on youtube for 50+ of these vids, from multiple angles.

Yeah, those people that own the restaurant right there decided to put a camera up to catch these people, it happens daily according to them.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kEGXwC48WjVYx4zA189PmHVabcfQka981GdmkM3tloQp0Xjr4AWN5psYAbkxusVP