1 2 3
96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
9/16/10 9:46 p.m.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1941259

Oh my god. I have never felt like passing out from a video but this one almost did it (I hate heights). Nothing bad in the video.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
9/16/10 10:11 p.m.

No way in hell you would ever see me up at those heights!!!!

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
9/16/10 10:24 p.m.

Not for all the money,hookers & blow in the world would I attempt that. I noticed they're wearing helmets, like that would help a lot.

Monster Toad
Monster Toad New Reader
9/16/10 10:58 p.m.

That made my palms sweaty.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/16/10 11:03 p.m.

I'd rock that job. But I'd base jump to get down.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
9/16/10 11:11 p.m.
M2Pilot wrote: Not for all the money,hookers & blow in the world would I attempt that. I noticed they're wearing helmets, like that would help a lot.

Parachutes... needs more parachute.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
9/16/10 11:19 p.m.

Holy E36 M3. Wonder what they pay those guys?

spriteracer
spriteracer New Reader
9/16/10 11:27 p.m.

They don't really get paid that much compared to how scary the job looks. Average salaries for climbers is between 40k and 50k. It is actually a safe occupation, that video makes it look a little scarier with the lack of hook-ups with the harness and the precarious positioning of the hook. It looks like the guy below him was hooked in every time he was in frame. Now these guys are loopy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tzga6qAaBA

gamby
gamby SuperDork
9/16/10 11:30 p.m.

This vid is working its way around the web--saw it this morning and stopped about 3 minutes in. My palms were sweating.

I can't believe the dude doesn't at least wear a BASE jump chute (assuming he'd know what to do with it).

Horrific video for someone afraid of heights. (as OP said, nothing bad happens)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/16/10 11:34 p.m.

That would be less scary if it was just a screamer every 15 seconds or so.

And they lied, the bag isn't full of tools, it's to crap in when his pants are full (which would be about 70 feet up for me.)

jg

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
9/16/10 11:46 p.m.

That looks like so much fun. Proper safety gear and it must take forever to get up there.

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
9/17/10 12:00 a.m.

One of my racing buddies' Dad did this in Minnesota. He said it could be 50° and sunny at the bottom, and 28° and freezing rain at the top. Often with feet of visibility.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/17/10 12:12 a.m.

how does one get that job?

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
9/17/10 12:21 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: how does one get that job?

Step 1: be crazy/brave Step 2: be part chimp, or have a chimp-level of loving to climb/ability to climb Step 3:????? Step 4: Profit

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/10 7:10 a.m.

My friend's sister's boyfriend/common-law husband climbs cell towers for a living.

You'd never know it by talking to him though, he's a really down to earth guy.

DrBoost
DrBoost Dork
9/17/10 7:46 a.m.

MY heart rate is almost back down to normal now. What a vid!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/17/10 7:49 a.m.

A friends kid does that. He has been filmed several times for an upcoming reality show/documetary thing. So basically we will all be really really tired of seeing stuff like that in about a year.

Edit, watched about 30 seconds, nauseous now.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/10 8:03 a.m.

I can't say I climb that high.. here in Atlantic City, I am one of a handful of stage techs who do the "climb and focus" part of any show. It is my job to ascend a 20 to 40 foot steel cable ladder and then walk the top of the lighting truss to focus the lights where the LD (lighting director) wants them.

I know one guy who fell and broke his neck doing it (he survived unparalised)

Most other techs think we are crazy.. but it does mean I am in demand in this "on demand" profession.

I would like to try scaling a transmission tower.

paanta
paanta New Reader
9/17/10 8:08 a.m.
spriteracer wrote: They don't really get paid that much compared to how scary the job looks. Average salaries for climbers is between 40k and 50k. It is actually a safe occupation, that video makes it look a little scarier with the lack of hook-ups with the harness and the precarious positioning of the hook. It looks like the guy below him was hooked in every time he was in frame. Now these guys are loopy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tzga6qAaBA

That video is the first thing that came to my mind when I read the "World's Scariest Job" title. Saw it a couple years ago and it still gives me nightmares from time to time.

I'm a little surprised OSHA allows free climbing. It's not like their other regulations don't inconvenience workers in other fields. Though, don't get me wrong, I lost a coworker to an industrial accident a few years ago and am all for inconvenient safety features.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
9/17/10 8:09 a.m.

OMFG I WOULD TOTALLY DO THAT!!!!!!!!!

...and base jump down

Seriously though, Id love that gig, and seriously, Id pack a base jump chute...ya know, if I forget about an appointment or something and dont have an hour to climb back down

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/10 8:27 a.m.
paanta wrote: I'm a little surprised OSHA allows free climbing. It's not like their other regulations don't inconvenience workers in other fields. Though, don't get me wrong, I lost a coworker to an industrial accident a few years ago and am all for inconvenient safety features.

that kind of surprised me too. OSHA and house rules keep me tied in at all times when I climb (unless I shimmy down from the catwalks on the front of house truss.. what they don't know, won't hurt them)

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
9/17/10 8:41 a.m.

Given the site says CollegeHumor and the statement that OSHA allows for free climbing, I honestly thought it was a spoof and once up there, the guy would "fall". (i.e. basejump off)

I am really surprised it's true that they can free climb. I think I'd take the extra few minutes and make darn sure I was connected at all times.

-Rob

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
9/17/10 8:51 a.m.

I used to climb radio towers, loved it

this is me about 3 years ago (Camera date is wrong)

xd
xd Reader
9/17/10 8:54 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: how does one get that job?

First you apply then polish your big brass balls for the interview. You could not pay me enough to do that and in the event you did. I would not live to spend it.

skruffy
skruffy SuperDork
9/17/10 9:09 a.m.

As someone who's put off by climbing an extension ladder, I can safely say I would not do that job. I got all tingly and anxious watching that.

I used to work for a company that builds overhead lifting equipment. Even 30' up in a lift scares the hell out of me.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IJMpfScQA6Se23LsKo331wOZnSl96jNEneGiUB2Pc5mQeFjqziw2CtFsLSgwWYl3