Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
4/2/12 8:18 a.m.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/white/m16/1384144.html&refer=news

(the photo viewer won;t allow linking...)

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
4/2/12 8:24 a.m.

sweet

... but way too pricey

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/2/12 8:26 a.m.

Here you go (you just need to try a little harder to hotlink from their site)

NGTD
NGTD Dork
4/2/12 8:27 a.m.

You would think for $42K they would fix the coolant leak!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/2/12 8:58 a.m.

I'd go with tweels or solid rubber tires, or even just regular tires over treads. You know battle tanks carry a spare set and they aren't quick to change...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/2/12 9:05 a.m.

Halftrac?

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
4/2/12 9:08 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Halftrac?

You should live in one.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
4/2/12 10:01 a.m.

One of my Dad's recommended vehicles, too. Sweet.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltraDork
4/2/12 11:43 a.m.

No vehicle will ever end ZAV discussions. Lets just get that out in the open right cha, right na.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/2/12 12:10 p.m.

is it just me or is it entirely open on top? I woulnd't want that in a zombie swarm situation!

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/2/12 12:14 p.m.

"Hey you, dumbass. Yeah, you in the tank."

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer HalfDork
4/2/12 12:14 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

That's was my second thought, right after wasnt there a reason the Army stopped using 1/2 tracks?

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
4/2/12 12:20 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: is it just me or is it entirely open on top? I woulnd't want that in a zombie swarm situation!

Definitely needs some custom work.

Better find a good source for tracks, too. The heavy maintenance company for the 2nd Armored Division used to keep one of those operational for parades. The tracks on it had Hebrew markings and the Star of David. Wonder where those came from?

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
4/2/12 12:25 p.m.

Yeah.. .the open top would need to be addressed...

The tank picture makes me wonder... an M1 can spin that turret so freakin' fast there would zombie bits splattered over an acre... Hell... they can just spin the whole tank in a circle and take out (pulverize) most of the ones visible in the pic.

Maybe a halftrack isn't the best ZAV vehicle... I still want one.

cwh
cwh UberDork
4/2/12 12:28 p.m.

I imagine that it is real thirsty.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltraDork
4/2/12 12:58 p.m.
cwh wrote: I imagine that it is real thirsty.

I work at a surplus store and one of the places we share referrals with has one of those. I may ask him about his mileage. I rode in it in 3rd grade. Pretty cool machine.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/2/12 1:22 p.m.

Too heavy, too rare, too thirsty.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
4/2/12 2:50 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: "Hey you, dumbass. Yeah, you in the tank."

That is the scene that killed the walking dead for me. You should never call a dude in a tank a dumb ass.

Will
Will Dork
4/2/12 6:50 p.m.

Doesn't anyone looking for a ZAV consider the spare parts situation? I'll just take a full-size pickup, thanks.

Will
Will Dork
4/2/12 6:51 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote:
That is the scene that killed the walking dead for me. You should never call a dude in a tank a dumb ass.

No, but anyone who wakes up in the zombie apocalypse and rides a horse into the downtown of a metro area of ~3 million people is one hell of a dumbass.

rmarkc
rmarkc Reader
4/2/12 6:59 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote:

Be fair. He was also the guy who rode a horse into zombie infested Atlanta and couldn't figure out his wife was boning the deputy. He is kind of a dumb ass.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/2/12 7:19 p.m.

My contender for best ZAV:

4x4 Fuso FG, with some light armor. Reasons:
Efficient. You're looking at 12-14mpg. With it's (stock) 33 gallon tank, that's 400 miles of zombie avoidance.
Reliable. Widely used in commercial applications, it won't fail on you.
Parts. These things are used on every continent on Earth (Antarctica might be a bit of a stretch). You're likely to find whole service centers, not to mention the massive amounts of fleet depots that will contain potential parts trucks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tFIvWfxga2GmVw2Q79KrWSOEpxY61vDlknMkW1TBBhksfUyZvbkU0iFRTo6Pdkc8