1 2 3 4
pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
7/21/11 12:00 p.m.

Read a book, they are portable and free at the library.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
7/21/11 12:16 p.m.

my fav part of redbox is not "that guy"... but "the parents of THAT kid"... I tend to goto the winn dixie because they have a side by side and tend to be fairly quick to get to at least one of the units... the last time I went up there was a family on one side browsing... and on the other this one punk little kid (6-7 i'd say) just playing with the machine... I gave up.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
7/21/11 1:07 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden:

Library has lots of movies too.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
8/1/11 10:49 a.m.
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
8/1/11 12:02 p.m.

If I wanted my rates jacked every so often, I'd go back to cable.

No, seriously, $16/mo is still a bargain when you compare it to cable or a dish. I watch at least 5 shows streaming a week, and 1 or 2 DVDs. I don't want to cancel streaming, because TV shows (like old Top Gear!) are easier to watch rather than on DVD. But the movies available for streaming are MEGA suck. There's maybe 2 good ones at any given time that I haven't seen.

May look into Blockbuster. Although I'm sure their rates will climb now that Netflix's have.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
8/1/11 1:46 p.m.

I canceled the DVD portion of my account because I don't watch them that much. Probably 1, maybe 2, a month. But it's frustrating when there's that one movie I really want to see. Like, I discovered my girlfriend has never seen "Dr. Strangelove". Netflix has it on DVD only, and Redbox doesn't have it at all.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
8/1/11 2:58 p.m.

I've rented a couple movies from Redbox since I dropped netflix completely in protest. I figure I'll watch maybe 4 movies a month so that's $4.24, and the box is where I buy groceries so it's not an extra trip, at least one of the times. The disadvantage I see is that the Redbox seems to stocked full of newer movies, but Netflix has a deeper catalog. Besides the price hike, I've had terrible luck with scratched and unplayable disks for the past year - I paid extra for Blu Rays just because they were in better shape. Also, Netflix is a mile wide, but an inch deep. If you see a movies you'd like to see and put it in your queue before it comes out on DVD then when it comes out it will say 'long wait' or 'very long wait' when the Redbox down the street has it in stock for a buck.

I figure I'll go back to Netflix someday, but not any time really soon.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/1/11 3:01 p.m.
Salanis wrote: I canceled the DVD portion of my account because I don't watch them that much. Probably 1, maybe 2, a month. But it's frustrating when there's that one movie I *really* want to see. Like, I discovered my girlfriend has never seen "Dr. Strangelove". Netflix has it on DVD only, and Redbox doesn't have it at all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000055Y0X/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1312228876&sr=8-1&condition=used

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
8/1/11 4:21 p.m.

Hmm... and that's a movie worth owning! I'd argue it's Kubrik's best film. Not his most artsy, but most elegant in its biting simplicity. It's like Kubrik consulted with David Lynch and Mel Brooks before he started.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/1/11 5:36 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Hmm... and that's a movie worth owning! I'd argue it's Kubrik's best film. Not his most artsy, but most elegant in its biting simplicity. It's like Kubrik consulted with David Lynch and Mel Brooks before he started.

At $6 including shipping, it is easily worth it for that one.

Our library has a pretty spectacular selection of movies, although I never watch them and usually have to pay about $2 a month in late fees.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
8/1/11 5:46 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Not his most artsy, but most elegant in its biting simplicity.

Less artsy more fartsy.

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
8/4/11 2:59 a.m.

You know what I would like?

Charge me say.....$25 a month, and for that I get all the movie content streaming (with the selection including what is on DVD now) PLUS any TV content I care to watch ala-cart.

That way I can tell cable/satellite to shove ALL that content I have to pay for that I loathe, and I only have to pay for what I actually watch.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0VuJkECHF7I7xJXqHl6IA5yHocdtney4EHzGzCjLacSQFescQX9Y7roRKbma9uwd