1 2
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/22 9:33 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Rhubarb is delicious, when combined with a sufficient quantity of sugar.  It shares nothing other than shape with celery.

Imagine you are a kid with such a sweet tooth that chocolate is disgusting because of how bitter it is, and you love eating celery, and you see some rhubarb on the kitchen table so you grab a stick and take a huge bite.

I also liked radishes, and can still eat them like popcorn, but my recollection of rhubarb was that it tasted like angry dust.  The first time was also the last time.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/2/22 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

You take the sugar bowl out to the garden with you...

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/2/22 10:40 a.m.

I dig the mirepoix/holy trinity uses (though my understanding of the latter is celery, onion, and bell pepper, garlic being important but not getting the billing?).

I always have celery on hand, but 99% of the use is as mirepoix or thereabouts.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/2/22 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Many years ago, probably in my teens, i went to get a big ass slice of this delicious looking strawberry pie. It was great until i bite into NOT a strawberry, check it out and WHY THE BERK IS THERE CELERY IN THE STRAWBERRY PIE! 
then i find out what rubarb is

Find that people put it in strawberry pie and dont say anything 

i discover i have a serious mistrust thing with celery and their mongo cousin. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/2/22 11:16 a.m.

Strawberry rhubarb pie is delicious, as long as you are aware of it being there.  

Stewed rhubarb is delicious. 

Straight up rhubarb pie is delicious. 

Rhubarb crisp.  Delicious.

Rhubarb and enough sugar is the trick.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
10/2/22 5:34 p.m.

Celery - Imgflip

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/3/22 9:20 a.m.

For those who cook, celery is a great way to add extra flavor to many dishes. I'm not a big fan of eating it straight, but then again I don't eat onions straight, either. So many dishes would not have much taste without celery or onions.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
10/3/22 12:34 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

I dig the mirepoix/holy trinity uses (though my understanding of the latter is celery, onion, and bell pepper, garlic being important but not getting the billing?).

Came here to correct russde as well. The holy trinity is celery, onion, and bell pepper in equal parts. Not garlic. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/3/22 1:14 p.m.
Mezzanine said:
Jesse Ransom said:

Came here to correct russde as well. The holy trinity is celery, onion, and bell pepper in equal parts. Not garlic. 

Specifically green bell pepper right?

Katie Suddard
Katie Suddard Advertising Coordinator
10/4/22 10:43 a.m.

If you like tuna salad, it's a great way to use up some celery. I normally do 4 stalks of finely diced celery per 3 cans of tuna, along with whatever seasonings I feel like, mayo, a bit of dijon mustard, sweet relish if I have it.

Obvs this makes multiple servings, unless you're reallllllly hungry. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/4/22 12:39 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

I don't feel expert enough on Cajun cooking to say, but I do believe if not specified, bell peppers should be assumed to be green... cheeky

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/4/22 12:43 p.m.

Ever try bacon in your tuna?

StreetWise, you could drop a few at a homeless shelter or food pantry.  Good for you, good for them.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
10/4/22 12:44 p.m.

I remember reading something in Playboy/Penthouse WAAAAAYYY back in the day that in an interview Peter North credited celery for his "prodigious volume ejected".  Use this information however you see fit.

Also bonus points to the first person to wear the shirt: "celery for volume, pineapple for taste".

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
10/6/22 11:44 p.m.

Picturing that shirt got a belly laugh.

Toss some stalks in the juicer! Wife does this every morning for reasons I don't comprehend. I tried some but dislike the aftertaste doing battle with my coffee, and it seems way too healthy to be beneficial.

The hilarious part is my 1 year old 60 lb black lab/boxer mix goes bananas for celery. Seriously, a dog that ENJOYS celery! He'll crunch thru a whole stalk like a breakfast Slim Jim and come back for seconds. I don't understand.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
10/7/22 12:30 a.m.

You know what weird mid century recipe is actually pretty great?

Waldorf salad

I myself make it with celery root instead of celery stalks because... yeah that hair thing

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/22 8:26 a.m.

The Cajun Trinity.  Bell pepper, celery, and onion.   I use these ingredients in almost everything I cook.

The Holy Trinity of Cajun Cooking | Louisiana Travel

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/7/22 2:30 p.m.

Celery? Tasty? 

It tastes like dirty grass to me. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/7/22 2:38 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

I don't feel expert enough on Cajun cooking to say, but I do believe if not specified, bell peppers should be assumed to be green... cheeky

I made a big-ass pot of jambalaya yesterday thanks to this thread and that question. Definitely used the Trinity. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SAxPAMWyxw6HlNby9MR1jWaHVzh8fP4Vw8vSyM4jInOKXGaT6imORMmP6Gne3BPx