NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/17/24 9:04 a.m.

I was out of town yesterday, had to drive a friend to Boston for a medical appointment, and while I was out there, I started getting texts. First my father messaged me and said "Hey, they're calling for hail, so I went to your house and moved your car (my MR2 Spyder) over to our house and put it indoors)." Then a little while later, my ex, who used to live in Rome, NY as well, messaged me and said "Hey, are you okay? Rome just got flattened by a tornado." Fortunately, the damage was all on the southeast side of the city and I live to the west on the outskirts of town, but I then started seeing all the photos on Facebook shortly afterwards. Tore the roof off the Grand Union, leveled the Aldi's, ripped the steeple off of both the Presbyterian and closed St. Mary's church, took the B-52 on display at the old Griffiss Air Base and moved it thirty feet to one side, knocked down the old building with the Paul Revere mural on the side. No one I knew was hurt, but there is one reported fatality and power out everywhere, along with reports of looting and crime.

62 Additional Photos.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/17/24 9:04 a.m.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/24 9:32 a.m.

I am glad you are OK, I sent you a PM last night asking about you, didn't want to call out to you on the main forum but since you posted I am glad you are ok and your property is too. 

I only live 13 miles from there and used to work about a mile from the B-52 so it was concerning close. 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/17/24 9:33 a.m.

If it was the same cell line that ripped through western NH last night, I believe it.  I've never seen anything like it.  Almost a full hour long of violent lightning, wind, and rain.  

Glad you are all safe.  Nature is Metal...

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
7/17/24 9:46 a.m.

Dang it must have been an amazing sight to see that BUFF impersonating a Harrier!

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/17/24 10:41 a.m.
etifosi said:

Dang it must have been an amazing sight to see that BUFF impersonating a Harrier!

It said "I may be retired, but I've still got one more flight left in me"

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/17/24 10:43 a.m.
golfduke said:

If it was the same cell line that ripped through western NH last night, I believe it.  I've never seen anything like it.  Almost a full hour long of violent lightning, wind, and rain.  

Glad you are all safe.  Nature is Metal...

When we were headed west from Boston, right before the MA-NY border, we got slammed by that storm on the turnpike. Dropped right down to 30mph, hazard lights on, wipers on high. There were cars sheltering under overpasses. And then it was a trail of destruction all down 90 West to Rome.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/17/24 10:57 a.m.

We were at the southern end of that front line.  For us it was an hour + of heavy lightning and rain, but not tornado-level winds or hail.  Glad you're OK.

At least for us down here we're supposed to get a repeat performance this afternoon / evening.  I hope it's better for you up north.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/17/24 12:56 p.m.

Glad you are all right, and that your dad moved the MR2. 

We were sheltering in the basement for about 45 minutes on Monday night in Chicagoland, I heard the weatherman say there were 10 confirmed tornadoes (or touchdowns of tornadoes?) in the area. But we really didn't have anything to show for it, the storms on Saturday night were 10 times worse. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/17/24 2:44 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Second time this year we had to huddle in the locker room at work. I hate night tornados. Not being able to see what's coming to kill me is unsettling.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster HalfDork
7/17/24 4:44 p.m.

Glad your stuff made it through that one. We are 5 miles above the Mohawk Valley about 40 miles east of you and several friends places got hit pretty hard. Tomorrow we are having a chainsaw party after work to help one friend clean up several trees down on several properties. Next week is another one at my sister house.  Not a lot of people with power around here but we lucked out so my generator is hanging out with a friend.

Let me know if anyone in your immediate world needs help over the weekend cleaning up.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
7/17/24 6:07 p.m.

There were 18 Chicagoland tornadoes this week. 6 Sunday, 12 Monday

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/17/24 6:22 p.m.

They should publicly hang people that loot

glad you are ok

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/17/24 6:56 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to mtn :

Second time this year we had to huddle in the locker room at work. I hate night tornados. Not being able to see what's coming to kill me is unsettling.

Last tornado I rode out in MN was a night tornado. That was quite a ride, because I too, was at work- and in charge of several developmentally disabled teenagers at the time. Explaining to them that they gotta go into the basement because E36 M3's getting wild was never on my bingo card. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/18/24 5:32 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Wow. I'm sorry to hear about Rome! Unfortunately, the only times I passed through Rome was on Amtrak.  I'm glad you're okay. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/18/24 8:06 a.m.

In reply to GhiaMonster :

Thanks for the offer, but my friends and family and I all made out okay, fortunately. One friend had his road cut off at both ends, but they got that cleared up pretty quicly

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4QfIx1EeGbaRfTFtKO0kaNSezoGvyY5aYCVHRGrbzGTMGQnzfBXSxvJVRQNY4Zz6