EastCoastMojo wrote:
Strizzo wrote: its OK guys, he added a gusset:
And, he had lunch with a welder.

Oh, everything's OK then.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
3/12/12 12:39 p.m.

When he said "learn how to weld" I think he meant "look at this picture..."

... and assume he knows how to weld now.

failboat
failboat Dork
3/12/12 12:59 p.m.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/12/12 1:36 p.m.

I can only assume there will be a fail video when the suspension breaks mid drift?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/12/12 1:42 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I can only assume there will be a fail video when the suspension breaks mid drift?

Oh I hope so.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/12/12 2:35 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:
mad_machine wrote: I assume that the drift events do not have tech inspectors?
Oh, they do. They check to see if you have an energy drink in your hand

Hahahahah, ahahahahaha

That was perfect. The Soviet Police would not approve.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
3/12/12 2:39 p.m.

welding, yes, easy to learn, like soldering. any idiot can melt metal with the right tool, but doing it right so the crap you just stuck together doesn't come apart shortly thereafter, that takes a bit more learning.

easy to learn, very difficult to master

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
3/12/12 2:57 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:
mad_machine wrote: I assume that the drift events do not have tech inspectors?
Oh, they do. They check to see if you have an energy drink in your hand
Hahahahah, ahahahahaha That was perfect. The Soviet Police would not approve.

The Soviet Anti - Drift Police Force and Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" do not approve...

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
3/12/12 4:48 p.m.

oh come one, now.. at least he grinds the welds down so they look pretty.

corytate
corytate Dork
3/12/12 5:02 p.m.

I'm also very scared of how he brought in the trailing portion.
Personally, I think it'll give up in full opposite lock. that might be fun to watch

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/12/12 7:14 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I can only assume there will be a fail video when the suspension breaks mid drift?

You really think it will last long enough for him to get into a drift?

Angle iron as a member loaded in bending... CLASSIC.

On the bright side, WHEN this fails, maybe the kid (i assume he's not a day over 20) will analyze what failed and learn from the experience. Everybody does stupid things, the difference is if you learn from your mistakes or not.

He'd have been far better off C-notching the original control arm and then reinforcing that. Or adapting control arms from something else altogether. But I can easily see C-notching the original Mustang arms through the spring perch and everything, giving a kind of corrugated edge, weld a tall enough strip of 1/8" stock bent to fit, then a second, shorter one welded to that, and it'd probably hold up just fine.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/12 8:06 p.m.

you could also box it after cutting and reinforcing the cut. I assume that drifters are not overly concerned with unsprung weight

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
3/13/12 1:29 a.m.

Sweet Jesus. It's written up like a joke, but then I work with "car guys" that make this dude look like a berkeleying rocket scientist.

This experiment will end in the blood of a thousand unbelievers.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/13/12 1:55 a.m.

ValuePack declares Jihad on drift mustang kid.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/12 8:10 a.m.
ValuePack wrote: Sweet Jesus. It's written up like a joke, but then I work with "car guys" that make this dude look like a berkeleying rocket scientist. This experiment will end in the blood of a thousand unbelievers.

we can hope stuff like this kills the drift scene... hopefully there will be some cool RWD cars left that haven't been hacked to death

The_Jed
The_Jed HalfDork
3/13/12 9:02 a.m.

"The 1/2" inwards removes some ackerman steering. I would recommend doing this. It causes the wheels to move in a more parallel fashion but not too much."

Eh?

How would that improve things?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
3/13/12 9:41 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Angle iron as a member loaded in bending... CLASSIC.

It isn't even actual angle iron. It started as a piece of flat stock. What you are looking at is his mad gusset skillz and about 1lb of mig wire.

Strizzo
Strizzo UltraDork
3/13/12 9:54 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: "The 1/2" inwards removes some ackerman steering. I would recommend doing this. It causes the wheels to move in a more parallel fashion but not too much." Eh? How would that improve things?

for drifting, when you're sideways and trying to continue that way, the ackerman results in basically toe-out. since you're not worried about the front tires tracking different arcs around a circle, you don't want ackerman i guess.

thats my guess at least

pstrbrc
pstrbrc New Reader
3/13/12 9:55 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: "The 1/2" inwards removes some ackerman steering. I would recommend doing this. It causes the wheels to move in a more parallel fashion but not too much." Eh? How would that improve things?

Actually, in drifting this makes sense. Under "normal" (read, "sane") circumstances when the steering is "turned" it means that the car is actually going through a turn represented by the input in the steering. So the tires on the side of the car that the steering is turned toward are going through a smaller radius arc than the tires on the other side of the car. Thus the need for an ackerman angle. But not so in drifting. In full drift, in fact, it's the exact opposite. So a drift car really handles (is that even the right word?) best with no ackerman angle built into the steering, keeping the front wheels parallel at all times. Of course, one wonders if this guy has any idea what he's doing to the drivability of his car.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/13/12 10:31 a.m.
pstrbrc wrote:
Actually, in drifting this makes sense. Under "normal" (read, "sane") circumstances when the steering is "turned" it means that the car is actually going through a turn represented by the input in the steering. So the tires on the side of the car that the steering is turned toward are going through a smaller radius arc than the tires on the other side of the car. Thus the need for an ackerman angle. But not so in drifting. In full drift, in fact, it's the exact opposite. So a drift car really handles (is that even the right word?) best with no ackerman angle built into the steering, keeping the front wheels parallel at all times. Of course, one wonders if this guy has any idea what he's doing to the drivability of his car.

Doesn't matter bro, I live the angle of attack lifestyle.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
3/13/12 10:38 a.m.
Anti-stance wrote: Doesn't matter bro, I live the angle of attack lifestyle.

Is it bad that I can totally see that statement coming out of these guy's mouths?

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/13/12 10:49 a.m.

In reply to DukeOfUndersteer:

And where the hell is the free Monster advertising in this pic?

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
3/13/12 11:09 a.m.

That thing's not going to be driven on the street I hope. It's one thing to be a victim of your own stupidity, but not if you're gonna take out other people too.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
3/13/12 11:22 a.m.

We all hate government intervention into our personal lives...but if this kid drives this car on the street, it will be necessary.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6d1gJphKkuDWCtMHawJMEPYcPdwPX9MdtlA80PWBbzr787ByyHAfOl6gsaCz2ZqB