Why do you do that?

Because that's the way its always been

02Pilot
02Pilot Reader
1/28/12 9:00 p.m.
gamby wrote:
02Pilot wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote:
ditchdigger wrote: Cork is a crappy sealant. The wine industry has wanted to move to screw caps for the last 4 decades but tradition and the idea that screw tops=cheap wine have stopped them. They attempted synthetic corks and rubber coated corks and other ways to make their product taste better and last longer, but still appeal to traditionalists but a screw top still wins. Cheap, sterile, recloseable and mass production friendly. Tradition is very rarely a good reason to do, or continue to do anything.
One guide to wine claims that corks have a failure rate that is often as high as one in 12 at avoiding corkiness or leakage. That's an insane failure rate for any other industry to put up with.
As someone who takes part in the consumption of probably a good 25-30 cases of wine a year (meaning opening and consuming a portion of some 300-360 bottles), either I'm very, very lucky, or that one in twelve number is ridiculously overstated.
I'm trying to learn more about wine, but I'm nowhere near that consumption rate. I hope you've developed an awesome palate as a result.

Not too bad, but far from great. I can identify varietal, region, and conditions more often than not, but I'm not good enough to have regional vintage conditions at my fingertips, nor is my palate developed enough to pick out some of the more subtle characteristics.

It helps to have immediate family in the business (on the importing side), and a lot of tasting opportunities as well.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/28/12 9:34 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Ugh, my most hated thing........... Why do you do that? Because that's the way its always been

Agreed.

impulsive
impulsive New Reader
1/29/12 1:00 a.m.
for hotel room/roadside consumption, screw top FTW.

definitely has influenced my vino purchases more than once - dig through stuff for the opener and do more work or twist & pour & get on with it already.

for that reason alone I purchase more Fisheye than I want to...

Kram
Kram New Reader
1/29/12 6:04 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: China doesn't grow cork.

Well it balances out because the wine they make is bloody terrible, it is literally undrinkable. "Great Wall" brand would be the biggest and it's a shocker, all of them.

Besides that, they don't have a wine culture either, you quite commonly see hero's in bars skulling beer glasses of red wine!

It however is a huge growing market being targeted heavily by French and Australian wine makers.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/29/12 6:20 a.m.

Umm... buy better wine?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/29/12 7:58 a.m.
Volksrodden wrote: The other night my girlfriend and I where enjoying our one year anniversary. As we where doing this we stop and pick up some wine. The same wine we enjoyed the year befor, much to our dismay there was no cork. I have notice the selection of wine is getting smaller. So does the GRM brain trust have any answers?

I dunno, almost all the beer I buy comes in corked bottles.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/12 10:25 a.m.

who thinks "Corks" would make a good name for a wine based restaraunt?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
1/29/12 2:11 p.m.
02Pilot wrote: As someone who takes part in the consumption of probably a good 25-30 cases of wine a year (meaning opening and consuming a portion of some 300-360 bottles), either I'm very, very lucky, or that one in twelve number is ridiculously overstated.

The number gave me pause too. Perhaps they included air leaks that had a relatively small effect on the taste of the wine or otherwise had a low definition of failure.

jhaas
jhaas Reader
1/29/12 2:14 p.m.
sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
1/29/12 6:30 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I heard there is a cork shortage as well. Apparently there has been a rise in cork recycling which I didn't even know could be recycled.

Cork recycling? That's where I give my dog the cork once the bottle is opened. He recycles them back to the earth.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
1/30/12 9:11 a.m.

Cork failure rate is typically under 5%. Last numbers I saw in peer review said about 3%. A winemaker I was chatting with said about the same. He uses screw caps which have a failure rate of about 0.01% (according to him, I don't have numbers).

Tradition is great, but I'd rather protect my wine as best as possible.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
1/30/12 9:34 a.m.

Yeah, corks suck. The only reason we still have them is because people think cork=good wine.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
1/30/12 9:37 a.m.

I like the synthetic corks myself... I've had a few corked wines, and it isn't pretty. I just can't get over screw tops, though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dNzmeL07JW2CPGPAeTyVfuINIdxs8vBTD0vtV8sz7VNkjklWt2gzgSZMv5vbWehx