1 2 3 4 5 6
stroker
stroker SuperDork
1/29/15 9:04 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle:

Depending on how my divorce goes I've got one that might be for sale. Got a drum magazine for it, too. Poor Man's Thompson...

stroker
stroker SuperDork
1/29/15 9:05 p.m.

Whatever happened to those "uppers" for 1911 pistols to let you have a 16" barrel in 45 ACP?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/29/15 10:23 p.m.

It is certain- going to let my mini-14 go.

Nobody brought up a Garand yet. While not "cheap" it is a heck of a lot of rifle for $630 from CMP, and it includes the case, so it is really a $600 rifle.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
1/29/15 11:33 p.m.
stroker wrote: Whatever happened to those "uppers" for 1911 pistols to let you have a 16" barrel in 45 ACP?

They still make them.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/1911.php

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
1/29/15 11:46 p.m.

Oh then there are the more modern versions but these would require SBR paperwork because of the sub 16 inch barrel.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
1/30/15 12:03 a.m.

In reply to neon4891:

I had a Savage rimfire (same exact model bigdaddylee82 has, the 93R17 BTVSS) and it had zero issues, worked flawlessly. .17HMR is a neat round... has some kick to it unlike .22LR and a pretty flat trajectory. The Accu-trigger on that rimfire was just as good as the ones on the centerfire rifles. The only weakness Savage rimfires have for me is their magazines, they just need a better design for ease of insertion/extraction of the magazine. They don't have feed/operation issues though. While not apples to apples, the Ruger Mark III Competition model I had was a jam magnet on the first round...but that's the nature of Mark III magazines for the most part it seems.

My Savage 93R17 BTVSS:

I will say when it comes to fun .22LR semi-auto rifles, NOTHING beats the Sig 522:

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/30/15 9:15 a.m.

In reply to neon4891:

I have zero complaints about my rimfire Savage, it has been great. If I were to get real nit-picky I wish the magazines were a little higher capacity.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/15 8:42 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

I believe there are a few companies that make stock for the Savage 93R. I don't think I want another synthetic stock. The rifle is so light already that I think a little more weight would make it a more stable platform.

Our dads sound a lot alike. Mine is right handed but left eye dominant. He's got a little lever action Henry 22 that he loves.

I have a Nikon P223 on my AR. Its a fixed 3 power though. I picked it up for about $140. I'll have to check out the Buckmaster. I also wanted a scope to match the barrel. Like you said, there aren't very many stainless scopes out there.

After doing a bit of research on the 'ole internetz, people seem to really like their Hi-Point Carbines. I inquired about them at the BX. They can get them so I ordered the basic model (4595TS) in 45ACP. It was $290 out the door so if things don't work out, it's not a huge loss. One thing though is it is really ugly haha. Like WTF ugly.

It kinda reminds me of a Stormtrooper rifle:

It should take a week or so to get in. I'm curious to see what it's like to shoot.

stanger_missle
1/30/15 8:44 p.m.
stroker wrote: In reply to stanger_missle: Depending on how my divorce goes I've got one that might be for sale. Got a drum magazine for it, too. Poor Man's Thompson...

Which rifle are you talking about?

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/30/15 9:42 p.m.

The Hi-Point carbine was on my short list, again, before NY SAFE...

That said, when I first looked at them, they had a different stock that that was a bit more understated. There is also a stock from ATI, but it fits 9mm only

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/30/15 9:51 p.m.

Here we go, original stock(in camo)

And the ATI

stroker
stroker SuperDork
1/30/15 10:12 p.m.
stanger_missle wrote:
stroker wrote: In reply to stanger_missle: Depending on how my divorce goes I've got one that might be for sale. Got a drum magazine for it, too. Poor Man's Thompson...
Which rifle are you talking about?

Camp Carbine 45

stanger_missle
1/30/15 10:40 p.m.

In reply to neon4891:

I like how the stock makes it look like a Beretta CX4. I wonder why it won't fit on anything other than the 9mm versions?

I did see a pic where someone cut the stock off the ATI piece and put a folding, Uzi-style stock on it.

stanger_missle
1/30/15 10:41 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

We might have to speak after I come back from deployment

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/31/15 5:43 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle:

I have a 3-9x40 version of Nikon's P-223, it's destined for a yet-to-be-assembled AR. I picked up a cheap NcStar (I know, I know) 2-7x32 Mark III Compact from Woot! a couple months ago, for another yet-to-have-all-the-parts-for AR.

Looks like Nikon discontinued the Buckmaster line sometime in '13, I had no idea until I tried to find the SF version of my scope. Who knew? Some reading says that Nikon upgraded the Pro Staff line, used to be that the Buckmaster was between the Pro Staff and Monarch quality wise. So maybe check out the newer Pro Staffs.

Weaver, Muller, and Swift all have higher magnification optics available in silver for < $200. There's quite a few more options if you're okay with the more common 3-9 magnification.

There's always Krylon.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
1/31/15 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

Every time I check, they don't have any. And don't you have to be in an approved gun club to order one? Cuz I got the money to buy one .

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/31/15 2:56 p.m.

The CMP program requires you to shoot in a match, or used to. There are "home matches" from what I understand, where you shoot your target at a range or at home and send it in to the match coordinator or something. Check out the appleseed guys: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ I believe they can explain it all and guide you. I got mine. Personally handed to me by a uniformed member of Bill Clinton's government (USPS, they just mail them to you.) Talk about a tad bit of paperwork to get to that point, though.

stanger_missle
1/31/15 6:08 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

I wish I would of held out for the 3-9 varible. I had a derp moment when I was at Wally World looking at ammo. I didn't realize that it wasn't the varible version until I got home.

The 3 power isn't bad though. It has the BDC dots and the optics are pretty damn clear considering the price. The first time I shot with it, I was hitting old clay pigeons on the hillside about 75 yards away.

I've heard good things about the Pro Staff line. I was actually looking at those before I bought the P-223.

C'mon tax refund! Daddy needs more gun crap! LOL

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/31/15 6:57 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

No relation.

stanger_missle
2/1/15 3:14 p.m.

I just bought a $27 red dot reflex sight for my carbine. So far I have bought a $9 Hogue slip on grip and a $10 charging handle.

I think ammo will be the most expensive accessory

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
2/1/15 3:28 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

I think you can get CMP rifles if you're military or ex-military. I got mine becoming a member of the Garand Collectors Association (gca.org). When I was a member dues were only $25/yr. & you get an pretty good monthly (or was it quarterly) publication.

daeman
daeman Reader
2/1/15 4:06 p.m.

Damn you guys get some cool guns over there. The Australian government took away most of our fun guns years ago... You can't even own your own paint marker gun without a licence and about eleventy gazillion restrictions regarding apperance and other useless crap

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/1/15 4:12 p.m.

I have a new charging handle on the way for my 10/22. It looks fairly stock, aside from being longer. Next up is hopefully a hogue stock or open fiber optics.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/1/15 5:57 p.m.
daeman wrote: Damn you guys get some cool guns over there. The Australian government took away most of our fun guns years ago... You can't even own your own paint marker gun without a licence and about eleventy gazillion restrictions regarding apperance and other useless crap

I am going to quote you here, daeman, as a reminder to the Americans who think it could never happen. And if you own a gun, you should also be a member of the NRA, which is the ONLY lobbying force in Washington DC that has the Citizens of the United States of America at heart. If we let one rouge government run one time, we lose all our guns, just like in Oz, the UK, Europe, etc. Just one slip "And It's Gone."

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
2/1/15 6:36 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

HEAR! HEAR!

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UKkYP3ZyNm5LIGGDw0JUssXmfwzqPKqVm2ptZF0TDRE6dKtbU3KLKGFpVDvPwG18