1 ... 3 4 5 6
daeman
daeman Reader
2/2/15 2:39 a.m.

In reply to dr hess: Please do mate, I'm old enough to remember a time when our gun laws were more lax here in aus.

It only took one unfortunate incident and an over reactive government and we lost our rights to a lot of firearms. Treat your conceald carry permits like gold guys, couldn't even dream of something like that here in Australia, even owning a handgun is pretty much in the to hard basket. Our government wants to try and get even tougher on guns due to a rise in gun crime... Problem is, most firearms Used in crime are black market anyway so any attempt to tighten up laws even further would have very little impact

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
2/2/15 7:27 a.m.

just proves the old saying … "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns"

it's nice when the saying is proved correct … wishing folks could actually learn from it .. rather than just ignoring, because it doesn't fit their agenda

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
2/2/15 8:36 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle:

Several BSA scopes/sights on Woot! Sweet 17 for $50 and there's a 6-24x40 mil dot for $80.
http://sport.woot.com/plus/bsa-optics-1?ref=cnt_wp_6

I've never owned a BSA scope, I've got a cousin with a few, about the only scopes he buys. He's had one on a 7mm Mag for years, that has slain a lot of white tail.

2.0dohc
2.0dohc Reader
2/2/15 6:37 p.m.

I'm lucky, there is a Bushnell outlet store near me. The scope on my ar was only $35. 3x9-40 wide angle. Still need to get a sight for my new toy....

some times the BX has some odd toys...

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
3/7/15 10:40 a.m.
stanger_missle wrote: In reply to bigdaddylee82: I inquired about them at the BX. They can get them so I ordered the basic model (4595TS) in 45ACP. It was $290 out the door so if things don't work out, it's not a huge loss. One thing though is it is really ugly haha. Like WTF ugly. It should take a week or so to get in. I'm curious to see what it's like to shoot.

So what's your verdict?

I was somewhat impulsive recently...

I have wanted an auto loader .22 WMR for years, grandpa had a 10/22 Magnum I still lust for. Not a lot of options on the market today. After doing a lot of research, I decided I'd eventually get a Remington 597 Magnum. I wasn't in any particular hurry to purchase, until I discovered that the 597 Magnum HB with laminate stock that I wanted was discontinued. Remington only offers one flavor of 597 .22 WMR now, the synthetic stock, and iron sights version. I called around and found one of the larger LGS' distributors claimed to have 84 in stock, and they beat the big box chains by $90 or better on the price so I ordered a pair, SWMBO's dad got one too.

I got 500 rounds of Armscor .22 WMR last week, and the LGS sold me 200 rounds of CCI that they were, "out of stock" of, they reserve some ammo in the back for folks purchasing firearms.

Now I just need to decide what I'm going to do for optics. I'm leaning pretty heavy toward a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50.

There's still plenty of firearms on my list to own, but short of any other impulse buys, never know what you'll find at a gun show, I don't intend to make any more purchases in the short term. Unless Savage's A17 vaporware becomes a reality, I'd bring one home today if I could. http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the-gun-nuts/new-semi-automatic-17-hmr-savage-arms-a17

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/15 11:06 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

Well, I like it. It's not sexy but it is awesome to shoot. I put around 220 rounds down the pipe and never had a FTF or FTE. It was pretty accurate to about 50-60 yards (I didn't have anymore room). I need to unberk the red dot sight I bought. It works great if you aren't dumb like me and turn the sighting screws the wrong way LOL. Complaints? The stock is kinda chincy especially the spring loaded butt pad. It uses Hi-Point proprietary magazines, which are only 9 round, single stack. Some people try to retrofit 1911 magazines but they are not reliable. The gun came with one magazine. You need at least 3. The trigger is plastic and cheap feeling. Somebody made a machined aluminum trigger but I can't find it anymore.

The only mods so far is a Hogue universal slip on grip, Hi-Point compensator, bigger charging handle, Magpul AFG and a $24 red dot sight from Amazon.

It's definitely a great gun for $290.

EDIT: I guess I should throw up some photos.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/7/15 12:17 p.m.
wbjones wrote: just proves the old saying … "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" it's nice when the saying is proved correct … wishing folks could actually learn from it .. rather than just ignoring, because it doesn't fit their agenda

I'm not a fan of this often repeated statement, I guess i'll explain why in a long post.

I'm fine with everyone having guns (I have a AR-15, FAL, Arsenal AK in 545, Mosin and a Glock 18) so long as they don't play pretend revolutionary make believe and talk about how it's for defending against tyranny on facebook while the government passes patriot acts and suspends habeus corpus while they are ranting about how Obama is a kenyan and he's a dictator. If all that is true where is your guns? I don't see them shooting the national guard and police, I see them defending government against Michael Brown-like accusations using talking points and meme images in facebook posts lol. Those people do more damage to gun rights than any ranting would be gun grabber.

I have guns, they are for fun. That is how the discussion should be framed. To convince some anti-gun liberals it was for fun like cars some would be more easily convinced and you wouldn't have "agendas". It's worked many times for me. Ask them to go to the shooting range with you and have fun. I convinced a couple of family members from thinking all guns should be banned and confiscated to buying an AR15 doing that. Then from there they might want to carry and maybe support laws like that. If not at least they are no longer for bans.

However if C4 explosives, cocaine, hostages, and chemical weapons are outlawed then only outlaws will have explosives, cocaine, hostages, and chemical weapons. That phrase is kind of a failure in logical reasoning.

Rhetoric and often repeated statements don't convince people of OUR agenda (to keep guns legal). Educating them and demystifying guns, in a non combative way, does. Also nobody is going to be convinced of another point of view until they experience it themselves and come to the conclusion on their own. Rhetoric only causes further polarization and is for making people who already agree feel better.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/7/15 12:53 p.m.
M2Pilot wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: I think you can get CMP rifles if you're military or ex-military. I got mine becoming a member of the Garand Collectors Association (gca.org). When I was a member dues were only $25/yr. & you get an pretty good monthly (or was it quarterly) publication.

Dead link.

I'm not military or ex-military, but I think it'd rock to preserve a Garand of my own.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/7/15 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/catalog.pdf

In particular, see page 13.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/7/15 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

Ooh, thank you! Those don't look like hurdles at all. The only possible difficulty would be tracking down a copy of my birth certificate.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/7/15 4:47 p.m.

I got mine. Personally handed to me by a uniformed member of President Bill Clinton's Government (U.S.P.S.)

Takes a while. Just do the paperwork and wait for the mail man.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/7/15 6:03 p.m.

Found on Farcebook:

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
3/8/15 11:25 a.m.

So, slight thread jack, I'm looking to do the sights on my 10/22. Short range plinking, 20-50 yards. No desire for a scope. Fiber optic sights or red dot?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/8/15 1:20 p.m.

I would say advantages to each. Personally, I don't go for the fiber optic stuff. Call me old school. If it's open (iron) sights, I'm just fine with no fiber optic. Otherwise, I'd go red dot. There are some low cost red dots out now.

You may find these articles interesting:
http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/tactical-sight-money-buy-50/

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/comparing-inexpensive-red-dot-sights-bsa-ncstar-tasco-bushnell/

I mean, for a sawbuck, if you don't like it, big deal. What's that, less than a half tank of gas?

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
3/10/15 7:51 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote: I don't have problems finding .243 ammo, that's what I use for deer.

Any one have experience with the CVA Hunter?

It's available in academy for $179 in .243 and 7mm08. Not a cheaper centerfire around.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
3/10/15 8:54 p.m.

CVA had a line of muzzle loaders that allegedly maimed a lot of its users. I have no first hand experience with them, but that little nugget has stuck with me. Granted I had to Google it to confirm I was remembering correctly. They're obviously still l in business and that was over a decade ago, so they've likely fixed/recovered from that unfortunate series of events.

I have first hand experience with a H&R, I've had a single shot, break barrel 20 Ga of theirs for 20+ years, it's similar to the CVA Hunter. H&R's Handi Rifle is available in .243, and as many other calibers as they carry barrels for.

Looks like you can get either .243 or 7mm-08 for around $230 for synthetic stock with open sights. About $300 for hardwood with a scope.
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.asp

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
3/10/15 10:10 p.m.

In other news... It's finally here!
http://www.savagearms.com/launch/a17

I fear that if I call the LGS and they can get it, I'll not be able to keep myself from buying it.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
3/11/15 8:07 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: So, slight thread jack, I'm looking to do the sights on my 10/22. Short range plinking, 20-50 yards. No desire for a scope. Fiber optic sights or red dot?

Tech Sights or Skinner

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
3/11/15 3:41 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Here we go, original stock(in camo) And the ATI

I have an ATI stock on my 9mm. It looks cooler than the original, but the original has it beat for ergonomics. My ATI required some filing to fit well and still is a little snug in places. Awesome to shoot though, my favorite rifle.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/11/15 4:24 p.m.

I've heard that from a few people. It's a shame the ATI stock only fits the 9mm. I'd love to put it on my 45ACP.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
3/11/15 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

I remember when the Garands were something like $125 each thru these guys and kick myself for not jumping on one. Overall just a neat rifle that's still relevant, if a little brutal, today.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
3/11/15 9:29 p.m.

I have a barreled action from CMP and one of these days I'm gonna redo it in 6.5 Creedmore or 260 Remington with the lightest barrel I can put on it.

Just 'cuz.

:)

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/11/15 11:41 p.m.

a Mossberg MVP in either .223/5.56 or .308/7.62x51 would do nicely, and they have the bonus of accepting STANAG-pattern (the .223/5.56 version) or SR25 (AR10) pattern mags (.308/7.62x51 version) so the magazine supply is cheap and plentiful. not as cheap as one of the low/mid range Savages or Rugers (Ruger Americans seem to be going for around mid-300s with a Nikon 3-9 scope on them around here, same with Savages) but another option to consider

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/12/15 7:00 a.m.

with the price of .22 rounds these days, I've been considering a .17 for my plinking pleasure .. was in Dick's Sporting Goods the other day and wandered back to the firearms section … asked about any .17's they had … $500 … wow .. nope, I'll be looking somewhere else

I've found them on line for $200 … guess I'll look into the pawn shops

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
3/12/15 8:28 a.m.

In reply to wbjones:

.17 HM2, .17 HMR, .17 Remington, .17 Frieball, .17 Hornet, or .17 WSM? There's a few others, wildcats and Ackleys I left out.

Savage, Marlin, Mossberg, and Ruger all have .17 HMR and HM2 bolt guns for $200-$300. A Mossberg International 817 can be found for a little under $200 in .17 HMR. Savage BMag starts right at $300, .17 WSM is a little more expensive than .17 HMR around these parts though.

There's always the Chiappa Little Badger. Though I can't fathom how that they can charge $200+ for it?

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zsh5ZuarMNEAhHRdk3slFMThkWdZE6gREV3OUR6fBX7MO9MIH4JErMJmI6WHnsVj