1 2 3 ... 5
kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
11/29/12 3:48 p.m.

Can be current or past vintage.

This one appeals to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8pyzOkTiAU

I also still want the "Guns of Navarone" playset I never got as a kid.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/12 3:52 p.m.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/29/12 3:52 p.m.

My kids are getting Lego Mindstorm for xmas and they don't even want them. Missus GPS is getting a TIG welder and maybe a mill/drill if she is good.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/29/12 3:53 p.m.

Millennium Falcon... I made one out of cereal boxes as a kid but it just wasn't the same.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
11/29/12 4:07 p.m.

Legos. All of them.

Teqnyck
Teqnyck Reader
11/29/12 4:07 p.m.

Tell me that isn't cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
11/29/12 4:16 p.m.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
11/29/12 4:18 p.m.

I seriously wanted to get one of these:

All the "whoosing" noises might be disturbing to other people though.

It's got Mecury (Atlas and Redstone), Gemini and Apollo!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/12 4:29 p.m.

Any of the big Lego Technics kits, but mostly I want this back. Technically I suppose I still have 90% of it mixed in with my collection, but still...

Or...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/29/12 4:29 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Legos. All of them.

This.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
11/29/12 4:31 p.m.
Woody wrote:

my younger brother had this car - we spent a lot of time messing with it.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
11/29/12 4:35 p.m.

going to get me started here?

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/29/12 4:36 p.m.

Always wanted a chemistry set.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
11/29/12 4:50 p.m.

I was (still am, really) a model rocketeer. I always wanted an Estes Cineroc. It was a flying movie camera, carried a few feet of 8mm film.

Too expensive for me in 1972, and surviving examples are too expensive for me in 2012. I don't care that there's cheaper (and digital) ways to take onboard video these days, I'm just pissed that I never had a Cineroc. Whoever "Gary" is, he had one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_90XW6OuMY

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/29/12 4:53 p.m.
aircooled wrote: I seriously wanted to get one of these: All the "whoosing" noises might be disturbing to other people though. It's got Mecury (Atlas and Redstone), Gemini and Apollo!

Now that's something an old curmudgeon would enjoy.

There were these COX .049 powered drag race cars that ran along a wire, you had to pound a nail in the asphalt at each end then the car had these hooks under it so it would follow the wire.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
11/29/12 4:54 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: I was a model rocketeer. I always wanted an Estes Cineroc. It was a flying movie camera, carried a few feet of 8mm film.

I spent hours going through the Estes Catalog and building/shooting rockets.

Last Saturday we stopped at Hobby Lobby and I walked my 9-year and 21-year old through the basics of Estes Model Rockets. I forgot about the camera.

Sadly I saw you cannot buy "fuse" anymore and are required to use the electronic ignition only. I spent a lot of time messing with fuses.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/29/12 4:54 p.m.

Secretly? Not that I can think of... I'll happily admit to wanting all kinds of kids' toys; some I had when I was a kid, others that I just wanted...

Of course, it mostly turns out I don't seem to have time to play with things these days. Even my "grownup" toys don't get the exercise they ought to...

I never play with my Tamiya AA-powered Unimog, or maybe I'd let myself go find one of these from my youth:

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/29/12 4:56 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: Sadly I saw you cannot buy "fuse" anymore and are required to use the electronic ignition only. I spent a lot of time messing with fuses.

Wow... I've only ever done rockets with the electric igniters, and that was ~30 years ago when I started...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
11/29/12 5:04 p.m.

growing up in the late 1960's/early 1970's - we wanted these things for our bicycles

steering wheel

Sissy Bar - you'all know what these are

Wheelie bar

Type Q
Type Q Dork
11/29/12 5:07 p.m.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/29/12 5:09 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: I was a model rocketeer. I always wanted an Estes Cineroc. It was a flying movie camera, carried a few feet of 8mm film.
I spent hours going through the Estes Catalog and building/shooting rockets. Last Saturday we stopped at Hobby Lobby and I walked my 9-year and 21-year old through the basics of Estes Model Rockets. I forgot about the camera. Sadly I saw you cannot buy "fuse" anymore and are required to use the electronic ignition only. I spent a lot of time messing with fuses.

You can make fuses with gunpowder, candlewax, and some string.

Fire was one of my favorite toys when I was a kid.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
11/29/12 5:12 p.m.
ransom wrote:
Datsun310Guy wrote: Sadly I saw you cannot buy "fuse" anymore and are required to use the electronic ignition only. I spent a lot of time messing with fuses.
Wow... I've only ever done rockets with the electric igniters, and that was ~30 years ago when I started...

I used to buy a package of red colored fuse (5' long? 6'? 10'? 12'?) and cut it into shorter 4" pieces and light them with a match. I don't even see "fuse"sold on the web either. Odd.

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury New Reader
11/29/12 5:12 p.m.

Tyco Typhoon Hovercraft:

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
11/29/12 5:14 p.m.
e_pie wrote: Fire was one of my favorite toys when I was a kid.

ha ha ha - I remember going on bicycle outings into the local woods and guys would bring out a jar - "hey, I brought some lighter fluid - did you bring a lighter?"

I miss 1970. And 1968, 1973, 1976-1980.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
11/29/12 5:15 p.m.
Matt B wrote:

Had these. Loved them.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RpWxYzOD7PqMtuQBiQrVqZSVLlxVpHKuEP1f7cJA2BaYYamvKFdanZVO6euvEYU9