1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/15/18 8:22 p.m.

Got a line on some really cheap stocks. I want to use them for an art project, but want to find out what they might be before it ruin them. They remind me of M1 Garand stocks, but I dunno.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/15/18 8:45 p.m.

They appear to be wood to me. 

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/15/18 8:50 p.m.

Not sure, but the semi-circular relief on the front left side of the receiver cut and the large relief cut for the top of the buttplate are obvious unique features and should help to narrow it down. The holes in the butt are probably for cleaning supplies, which points to military and something with a door in the buttplate.

Have you considered chemically stripping them to look for cartouches?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/15/18 9:07 p.m.

They are not in my possession as of yet.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
7/15/18 10:31 p.m.

They look very M14 / M1A -ish to me.

NoMini
NoMini PowerDork
7/15/18 10:49 p.m.

All the Google pics of "M1 Garand stock" look an awful lot like what you've got there. Even saw one of a cleaning kit, that fits in holes not unlike the size in the butt, but it wasn't cut out on the top, presumably for a hinge.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
7/15/18 10:53 p.m.

M1 Garand stocks are shorter, and don't have the relief on top for the folding buttplate.

Remember, the M14 was a "product-improved" M1.  They kept some of the looks, but added lots of in-vogue features.  Detachable magazine, flash hider, hinged buttplate, selector switch ...

NoMini
NoMini PowerDork
7/15/18 11:04 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant :

In my defense, I know berk-all about military weapons. surprise

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/18 12:06 a.m.

In reply to NoMini :

Compare to the M14, which looks a hell of lot like an M1 with a detachable magazine and select fire.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
7/16/18 7:28 a.m.
slantvaliant said:

They look very M14 / M1A -ish to me.

I think he's right....

TJL
TJL New Reader
7/16/18 9:14 a.m.

Mosin nagant 91/30. That thick laquer screams old commie guns. I have a few, they are fun. 

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/16/18 9:22 a.m.
TJL said:

Mosin nagant 91/30. That thick laquer screams old commie guns. I have a few, they are fun. 

Definitely not. 91/30 stocks are straight, not gripped. The cuts are wrong too.

TJL
TJL New Reader
7/16/18 9:27 a.m.

Hmm yeah. SKS?

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/16/18 10:11 a.m.

I'm going with the M14/M1A - the top of the buttplate as shown in the other photo is consistent with that deep and complicated relief.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
7/16/18 4:34 p.m.
TJL said:

Hmm yeah. SKS?

Upper hand guard looks too long to be SKS. Profile is off as well. I’m leaning M14.

Although as you mentioned, the heavy lacquer does scream Soviet.

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
7/16/18 4:40 p.m.

It has a notch for the bolt of a bolt-action gun on the right side.  I'm going to go with M1903  based on that and the 2-pin screws on the sides - "C" version in this photo missing upper furniture

Edit:  also, those stocks aren't set up for a detachable mag, so more than likely a clip-fed internal magazine bolt gun.  

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/16/18 4:41 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Theres a finnish version that is not but thats not it either

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/16/18 4:46 p.m.

15 minutes with the Googles says M14.  

Will
Will UltraDork
7/16/18 7:24 p.m.

Gunny is disappoint.

They are most definitely M14.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/16/18 8:37 p.m.

So what are they worth? Is $15 a stock overpriced? 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/16/18 8:49 p.m.

No, $15/ea is not overpriced.  If they had the handguards with them, they would probably be worth closer to a bill each.  Of course, if you have no use for them then they are just sitting there sucking up $30.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/17/18 7:43 a.m.

I just wanted to mace sure if I was to hack on these things, I wasn't ruining something valuable, like a stock from a Johnson rifle, or something.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
7/17/18 8:12 a.m.

Pricing depends on the condition and markings.  The right cartouche, if it's rare, is worth bucks to collectors.  It may allow completing a rifle restoration with the "correct" markings. 

Kind of like date-coded hoses on a collector car.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
7/17/18 8:18 a.m.
Strizzo said:

It has a notch for the bolt of a bolt-action gun on the right side.  I'm going to go with M1903  based on that and the 2-pin screws on the sides - "C" version in this photo missing upper furniture

Edit:  also, those stocks aren't set up for a detachable mag, so more than likely a clip-fed internal magazine bolt gun.  

That notch on the right side is for the M14 selector switch (may not be present on an M1A stock).  Hail, hail, rock and roll! 

And it sure looks like there's space for a detachable magazine.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/17/18 9:06 a.m.
slantvaliant said:

Pricing depends on the condition and markings.  The right cartouche, if it's rare, is worth bucks to collectors.  It may allow completing a rifle restoration with the "correct" markings. 

Kind of like date-coded hoses on a collector car.

Where does one find them?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yAMZqkkjrQPlnQQiBBqUnRgoqr2eQM3ThIBoyO7pXANdjMbqpkyadbivjQdmYv5k