In reply to David S. Wallens :

My next one .....

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/29/24 3:16 p.m.
914Driver said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

My next one .....

I think this is the actual correct answer.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
5/29/24 3:49 p.m.

Bojangles is #1 followed closely by Zaxby's. The Zaxby's sauce is amazing. 

the_machina
the_machina Reader
5/29/24 4:37 p.m.

Hattie B's in nashville is the most memorable. Shut the cluck up is.... something else. Next time I'll go for Damn Hot instead.

For general purpose chicken, the breakfast chicken mcgriddle from mcd's is a handheld chicken and waffles, and just plain works.

For chick-fil-a, the spicy chicken, add pepper jack is the way to go. no lettuce or tomatoes.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/24 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Yeah, it’s not far for you. I stopped there while coming home on I-4. Both times I’ve been there, no wait. 

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/24 4:49 p.m.

Locally to Tallahassee a legend...  Lindy's.    First opened with chicken breast sandwiches in like 1970, when Chick-fil-A, etc. were still just unhatched eggs.

Two stores have survived all these years.

Popeyes spicy when on a road trip.  yes

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
5/29/24 4:55 p.m.

If we're talking the traditional "Southern Style" chicken sandwich, my go-to's are the Chick-Fil-A Spicy Deluxe and the Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich. Easy to acquire and tasty. 

But if we're including other types of sandwiches, like subs (aka grinders, hoagies, etc), I like a good chicken parm or chicken cutlet sub over those all day. Many small pizza/sub shops in the Boston area have them, but it HAS to be a homemade cutlet. Some places try to pass off frozen pre-made chicken tenders as "Italian chicken" and then slap some marinara on there, and that's just wrong. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/24 5:18 p.m.

I know I started this about chicken sandwiches, but if we’re bringing Zaxby’s to the mix, we gotta mention Guthrie’s. Rumor says G influenced the Z, but I wasn’t there.

But I did live two dorms over from the Athens Guthrie’s. All they offered were chicken fingers. You had one choice, really: no slaw for extra fries. Actually, two choices: there or to go. 

Our meal plan didn’t offer Sunday dinner, so that’s where the dorm crew could be found. “For here, no slaw, extra fries, please.”

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/29/24 7:56 p.m.

Its not Fast food, but the Chicken Ranch sandwich at Twin Peaks is great. Skip the funky,spicy mayo though.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/30/24 7:07 a.m.

Ground Squirel in 29 Palms CA.  It was likely a special of the week, unforgettable.

https://www.grndsqrl29p.com/

We all loved this place so much, spent about $350 there on lunch for 6, swag, to go beers.  Just kind of hole in the wall type of place, but everything was over the top good.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
5/30/24 7:28 a.m.

+1 for spicy Chick-fil-A always consistent and readily available.

For a local favorite, Brava's (started as a hot dog cart, moved to a food truck , and then a brick and mortar)

No photo description available.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
unpuDwzB8jWu35RlI7LIhMgtNBZQpNl8yw61Ypuuppbo3zT2fmyMJ5UbnIZ3xJd2