1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/21/20 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not sure what it says about you when you post photos of your junk on an internet forum.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/20 2:44 p.m.

You're totally right.... I should always have permission before sending photos of my junk.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/21/20 3:16 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
Snowdoggie said:

They use cheap materials on the deck. I'm actually in the process of replacing all of that. I like the design and the shape of the boat. 

I'm eternally searching for the perfect boat and I think I'll have to make it.

I want this interior:

but I want this freeboard height:

Which suggests I should get this fish n ski type boat:

BUT... They're made so heavy because any amateur boater can stroll into a Bass Pro Shops and lay down a credit card to get one.  Heavy means safe.  I want fast and shallow draft, but the ability to not get a back injury in some choppy water.  Hopefully, if this one looks like a decent hull for speed, I can cut the cap off and make an interior sorta like the first boat.

I disagree with that point... They're (they being Skeeter/Nitro/Ranger/Triton) just taking their bassboat and/or multi species hulls and putting a different cap on them. If they're heavy, it is to get the serious boaters into bigger water. 

In any case, I doubt that the hull on that Bayliner will make you happy...

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
7/21/20 3:51 p.m.

Bayliners are OK for the local lakes but I would want something much more substantial for big lakes or offshore. The are what they are. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/21/20 8:48 p.m.

About 10 years ago my buddy bought a cheap Bayliner, we had a ton of fun in it that summer. Took him a couple weeks to figure out that I swam around the boat and used my finger nail to scratch off the B enough to make it look like a G. I might have been 40 but it's hard to get the 12yo out of me sometimes.

We still laugh ourselves to tears when the story comes up.

7/22/20 11:43 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
Snowdoggie said:

They use cheap materials on the deck. I'm actually in the process of replacing all of that. I like the design and the shape of the boat. 

I want this interior:

BUT... They're made so heavy because any amateur boater can stroll into a Bass Pro Shops and lay down a credit card to get one.  Heavy means safe.  I want fast and shallow draft, but the ability to not get a back injury in some choppy water.  Hopefully, if this one looks like a decent hull for speed, I can cut the cap off and make an interior sorta like the first boat.

I disagree with that point... They're (they being Skeeter/Nitro/Ranger/Triton) just taking their bassboat and/or multi species hulls and putting a different cap on them. If they're heavy, it is to get the serious boaters into bigger water. 

We'll just agree to disagree.  Bass boats aren't heavy to get into big water.  The hull design with its shallow deadrise and low freeboard is terrible in big water.  Most bass competition happens in smaller lakes with nooks and crannies where the bass live.  They are designed to get there fast before the other boats take your favorite spot.  The commercial offerings are heavy because non-competition people like to go fast too, and keeping more of the boat in the water with 225 hp hanging off the back prevents death.  A heavy, fast boat is safe.  A light, faster boat is best kept in the hands of experienced boaters.

The PR would be terrible much like Explorers with Uniroyal tires.  It wasn't the tires' fault, nor the explorer's, but the only thing people heard was the news stories and avoided them both.

My point is that commercial offerings are focused on comfort, safety, and dryness.  They accomplish that with flared chine walls, weight, and fat, cushy chairs.  Most boats are made for the 99% of boaters who get on the water a few times a year and cruise around.  I'm not one of those 99%, which means for me to get what I want, I'm either paying through the nose for a Hydrostream hull to modify, or just modifying something else that has a decent hull for cheap.

But I do agree that I likely won't be happy with the Bayliner.  If it had a significant aft pad, maybe, but I'm not quite at the level of safely knowing how to modify a hull design.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/20 10:52 p.m.

How do you cut the cap off of the hull? Really big A frame, or do you just section it out?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/22/20 11:58 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) :

There's an inner and outer hull. If you remove the inner hull, the cap is part of that in most boats. 

How they are joined varies quite a bit with the building technique and quality of the boat. They may be screwed, riveted, bolted, or glued, or some combination of these.

Or you can do like one idiot that I knew that owned a boatyard. He took the cap off a boat to replace the wooden stringers. 

After that, he put cap back on and delivered it back to the owner. The first time out, the owner took it out into the gulf of Mexico to go fishing, where it very nearly sank. 

They took it to another Marina, where they realized the cap was just set in place and never fastened to the outer hull.

When they pulled it off of the inner hull to check the rest of the work, and reattach it properly, they found it was full of sandblasting debris and empty beer cans.

He later cut into a fuel tank with a sawzall, so he took himself out before he managed to kill any of his customers. 

Boston whaler, McKee Craft, Scout, and some others will have a one piece hull, which will be filled with an expanding foam, a technique that Boston whaler pioneered 60 years ago.

7/23/20 10:35 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

How do you cut the cap off of the hull? Really big A frame, or do you just section it out?

I've only ever done one and it was a 15' boat.  Most caps on glass boats are glued on, then a rub rail is screwed on for protection and to cover the seam.  Take the rub rail off and go to work with a jigsaw, abrasive blade, sawzall, or circular saw.... and a paint suit and respirator.  You don't want to be covered with glass dust and get it in your lungs. Yikes.  The one I did  was simple.  The cap included the gunwales and the two consoles so two of us lifted it and walked it off.  Some of them the cap includes the floor so it's a bit more involved.

For instance, on this Grady White, notice how the gunwales are integral with the seats, bulkheads, and floor.

Grady-White | Canyon 336 Center Console

But on this Bass boat, notice how the cap is just a perimeter gunwale and one console.  The entire interior is just built up from the hull.

Bidding ended on BBQ21X41L293, Salvage Bullet Bass boat at ...

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
7/23/20 11:00 a.m.
Snowdoggie said:

I want this interior:

We'll just agree to disagree.  Bass boats aren't heavy to get into big water.  The hull design with its shallow deadrise and low freeboard is terrible in big water.  Most bass competition happens in smaller lakes with nooks and crannies where the bass live.  They are designed to get there fast before the other boats take your favorite spot.  The commercial offerings are heavy because non-competition people like to go fast too, and keeping more of the boat in the water with 225 hp hanging off the back prevents death.  A heavy, fast boat is safe.  A light, faster boat is best kept in the hands of experienced boaters.

The PR would be terrible much like Explorers with Uniroyal tires.  It wasn't the tires' fault, nor the explorer's, but the only thing people heard was the news stories and avoided them both.

My point is that commercial offerings are focused on comfort, safety, and dryness.  They accomplish that with flared chine walls, weight, and fat, cushy chairs.  Most boats are made for the 99% of boaters who get on the water a few times a year and cruise around.  I'm not one of those 99%, which means for me to get what I want, I'm either paying through the nose for a Hydrostream hull to modify, or just modifying something else that has a decent hull for cheap.

But I do agree that I likely won't be happy with the Bayliner.  If it had a significant aft pad, maybe, but I'm not quite at the level of safely knowing how to modify a hull design.

I always wondered about the purpose of those expensive bass boats with the huge outboards and the flashy metalflake paint when you can go fishing with an aluminum john boat and a small outboard and bass fishing takes place in a smaller lake. 

There is a race to get to the fish first. laugh

7/23/20 11:43 a.m.
Snowdoggie said:
Snowdoggie said:

I want this interior:

I always wondered about the purpose of those expensive bass boats with the huge outboards and the flashy metalflake paint when you can go fishing with an aluminum john boat and a small outboard and bass fishing takes place in a smaller lake. 

There is a race to get to the fish first. laugh

Yup.  The more time you spend with a line in the water and the less time you spend getting to the fishing hole means more fish

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/23/20 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I'm sure the "fast boat" thing also became a bit of a "hootus size" competition as well.  With men being, well... men... 

7/23/20 7:45 p.m.

here is a race to get to the fish first. laugh

Yup.  The more time you spend with a line in the water and the less time you spend getting to the fishing hole means more fish

There was a saltwater tournament here 10 or more years ago, and a local guy entered it in a kayak. He was the *only* kayak in the tournament, against a bunch of power boats filled with tournament fisherman.

He won overall in the tournament. Sometimes slow isn't bad, especially when your boat can go places the big boats can't and you've lived in the area your whole life, the way he had. 

7/23/20 9:47 p.m.

That reminds me of my friend in L.A.  He frequently takes charters for Tuna and he fishes from a kayak.  If you hook into one, your job is to keep the kayak pointed toward the line so it doesn't pull you over.  Then tire it out, drag it over the kayak, gill it, and paddle back to the boat.

He caught a 370-lb yellowfin and he sent me a picture of him on the kayak with the fish bungeed to the kayak, and him sitting there with his knife, a packet of soy sauce, and a packet of wasabi.  He straight up had Ahi Otoro sashimi as he paddled back to the boat.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
7/23/20 10:00 p.m.

That sounds like a helluva afternoon.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/23/20 10:30 p.m.

There was a big Marlin tournament in the Carolinas. A lot of yachts in it. Michael Jordan was in it this year. I think the leader at one point was in a 21 foot boat. 

The power wars wars are kind of silly. I have been 70 mph in a bass boat. I wanted OUT. Yeah, there is a reason for it, but only the pro bass fisherman really “need” it. More important for most is having 3 charged batteries for their trolling motor, and possibly a backup as they spend a lot more time using their bow mounts than their big engines. I personally only have a 12v bow mount, and will fish until it’s dead - about 4-5 hours on this battery - the outboard is often run for less than 20 minutes total on a trip. Unless I’m in Dad’s Grady, but that doesn’t have a trolling motor  

7/24/20 12:39 a.m.

He caught a 370-lb yellowfin and he sent me a picture of him on the kayak with the fish bungeed to the kayak, and him sitting there with his knife, a packet of soy sauce, and a packet of wasabi.  He straight up had Ahi Otoro sashimi as he paddled back to the boat.

I mean, really fresh (as in, was swimming around a minute ago) sashimi is the best. Spanish Mackerel are good that way.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cfsxz1ynb5nxhfYPhdwLkniBhBSWYJUn8L5t8nM5PSdFIRothLocooSmmtECrTre