1 2
tb
tb Reader
7/3/13 10:43 p.m.

I know some of you are looking forward to the initial event for the newly formed Asphault Adventures, so check in here.

I just sent in my application for the wife and I to run our crappy e30 in the beater class. As a former long time resident of New Jersey I am eager to see what is in store for us. High temps, summer traffic and sharing the oddly designed roads with the country's most insane drivers all sounds like a excellent adventure to us...

Obviously, not everyone here can make it to a one day event at the Jersey Shore, but hopefully we will see some of you there.

Not a canoe; just a little plug for a good friend and what promises to be a great time!

tb
tb Reader
7/5/13 12:21 p.m.

Nobody? Maybe I will be all alone... sounds like fun either way.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/5/13 12:29 p.m.
tb wrote: Nobody? Maybe I will be all alone... sounds like fun either way.

You won't be alone, but you might make some new friends ;)

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
7/5/13 12:42 p.m.

Just too far away for one day but watching intently

1lapdawg
1lapdawg New Reader
7/5/13 9:29 p.m.

What is the link to register? Cant find it via google.

In reply to tb:

tb
tb Reader
7/5/13 9:33 p.m.
1lapdawg wrote: What is the link to register? Cant find it via google. In reply to tb:

Info at:

http://asphaultadventures.com/gpage1.html

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/9/13 12:47 p.m.

I have something very very terrible (but fun) in store for people on this event as far as challenges go. Still sorting out the final details but its a challenge which is very location specific and should be a lot of fun :)

If you are in the northeast and thinking about doing one of the bigger rallies next year keep in mind the winner of this one walks away with a free entry to our 3 day event in the spring or 50% off the 5 day Saints 2 Sinners run in July 2014.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/9/13 1:40 p.m.

I couldn't find a cost for this adventure. What does it cost?

Thanks!

Rob R.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/9/13 1:45 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: I couldn't find a cost for this adventure. What does it cost? Thanks! Rob R.

It's on the page that TB posted

Asphault Adventures said: Entry/Fees: Apply for entry by submitting the entry form, available at www.asphaultadventures.com/Registration.doc We'd love to admit everyone but we have limited space so impress us with your app and apply early for your best chances. Upon acceptance you will need to pay up, $70 gets you a team of 2 with $25 for each additional member (up to 4) or $15 for children under 12. For your fees each team member receives an event t-shirt, and a 2 hour paid buffet at the Coconut Cove closing party (drinks are not included but there will be a cash bar).
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
7/9/13 9:55 p.m.

I am trying to figure out if i can juggle this all.

Drive almost 9 hours to the start line, drive the event and drive home 9 hours.

All while school has just started back up, i still have no DD vehicle except the bike, and time off limited.

Gotta find a way

tb
tb Reader
7/10/13 8:35 p.m.

I just made my reservation at the host hotel for the night before the rally. Jim got us a great group rate and is making everything really easy on us.

Personally, I have plenty of experience with Holiday Inns in New Jersey AND driving while hung over chugging coffee so this should present no significant problems...

Also, rumor has it that a group of non-car enthusiasts actually believe that they can not only compete in, but possibly even win this crazy scavenger hunt... idiocracy references coming soon.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/11/13 6:52 a.m.

FWIW to anyone interested in doing our other events next year, winner of this event will get a free entry to a 3 day event or 50% off entry to a 5 day event, if that's any incentive :)

And for the single guys, I'm told that group of non-car enthusiasts contains some rather attractive young women, I have not met the women to verify this statement.

SCARR
SCARR Reader
7/11/13 8:11 a.m.

wait... so to be in the crapcan class we need a car that is worth 500 bucks (if 80's and 90's) and actually is road legal, safe and passes inspection?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/11/13 8:24 a.m.
SCARR wrote: wait... so to be in the crapcan class we need a car that is worth 500 bucks (if 80's and 90's) and actually is road legal, safe and passes inspection?

Yep, when we were all doing BABE rally we managed to do it every year (30+ teams managed to find cars within budget every year), it's absolutely possible. For 07-09 the allowable budget was only $250

BUUUT....this isnt GRM rules. You have to buy the car for $500 or less. You can fix it to make it safe and pass inspection and noone is asking for receipts. The key is not to buy a $500 car and do a restoration. Fix the brakes, make sure the suspension bits are good and go. Don't get carried away, but DO make it safe.

Bottom line, bring something that looks like a POS and noone will sweat you too bad. And there's a sliding scale of leeway for unique and odd. An 82 Fiat X1/9 that doesnt look like a restoration car would probably not be sweated too much.

Worst case scenario you get bumped to open class if your car is too nice.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/26/13 7:29 a.m.

Friendly reminder to all the east coast folks (or non east coasters that want to come out to NJ for the weekend) that wanted to get in on this event, registration closes in 5 days.

We are purposely keeping this one very small so there's only a few spots left. Anyone competing in prior events (like this) gets priority consideration when reviewing applications for the Saints 2 Sinners rally next year :)

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
7/26/13 12:30 p.m.

I'm seriously contemplating it, but it may interfere with my selling my house & moving operation. I guess I'd better sort out my priorities asap

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/26/13 7:27 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I'm seriously contemplating it, but it may interfere with my selling my house & moving operation. I guess I'd better sort out my priorities asap

House selling and moving is stressful, surely you could use one day off from it :)

tb
tb Reader
7/26/13 7:50 p.m.

I have been busy getting my car ready for this and trying to prepare the Wife for her role. For years I have been trying to get her into running some TSD with me and perhaps this will be a move in the right direction...

I will most likely still stay withing the beater definition; mostly just working on brakes, tires, suspension and a few really worn out bushings... Full disclosure though, I have resurrected the A/C and my interior is looking pretty pimp!

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/26/13 8:01 p.m.
tb wrote: I have been busy getting my car ready for this and trying to prepare the Wife for her role. For years I have been trying to get her into running some TSD with me and perhaps this will be a move in the right direction... I will most likely still stay withing the beater definition; mostly just working on brakes, tires, suspension and a few really worn out bushings... Full disclosure though, I have resurrected the A/C and my interior is looking pretty pimp!

If you have any thoughts of running it in S2S next year then definitely fix the AC. That's one event I wont fault anyone for having AC on.

No TSD stages on this one, but I will be incorporating them in future rallies with a bit of a twist to keep them friendly to the format. Jeff W (Littleturquoiseb) was just mentioning a TSD series in the DC area that is supposed to be a lot of fun, might be worth checking into.

There is a much better male to female ratio on this event then I've ever seen on a banger rally before so she shouldn't feel like the odd one. I think almost every team has at least one female.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
8/19/13 10:54 p.m.

Ladies and Gentlemen, its an official thing. A bit late of an announcement but I sent in my registration in and I am in on this Asphault Adventure New Jersey Trip.

I look forward to this. A lot.

Its 7 hours away from my house, thats just for getting to the start line. My team mate is flip floppin a bit (i dont hold it against 'em...lots going on)

I just dug up a motorcycle that ill be lookin at this week that should make the trip

This is nuts, and fun and exciting and i cant wait.

Ill keep you all posted

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
8/20/13 7:20 a.m.

When it fits the schedule, the Turn Left crew is in.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/13 8:55 a.m.

I would love to try it but we already have plans that week. A friend of ours has a house on the shore we could stay at and we end up having plans that weekend and the Race of Gentlemen weekend.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/20/13 8:55 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
When it fits the schedule, the Turn Left crew is in.

Looking forward to seeing Turn Left at S2S next year :)

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
8/20/13 8:58 a.m.

FYI to all, registration for ETS (Explore the Shore) is now closed. It looks like it will be a good inaugural event.

Our next scheduled event is the big 5 day S2S (Saints 2 Sinners) run next summer. There may be a 3 day event on the east coast sometime next spring schedules permitting.

The website has been updated and should be much more current on information an a discussion forum has been added for specific event questions and discussion.

sporqster
sporqster Reader
8/20/13 9:20 a.m.

Anxiously awaiting Saints 2 Sinners!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YACZr4tqdaODQQFhHAPyGYaBURUC84AkjoiqaZ8lRl2HscPhT3NpYLUxaB4e6ocg