1 2 3
SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/18/11 9:34 a.m.

That wasn't the issue.

The suggestion was that lower income + large family = crime and leach on society. FALSE.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/18/11 9:44 a.m.

Plus, it's very possible you are doing the math wrong.

Who says the actual "fact" is that lower education + more kids = lower income?

There is no way to prove your assertion from the facts.

The core error is the assumption that "those" d*mned poor people should stop breeding like berkeleying rabbits so they stop taking $ from the public coffers and becomingly criminals.

That's not true.

You are starting with the assumption that poverty and large families are the problem. Crime and lack of education is the problem.

aggravator
aggravator New Reader
10/18/11 2:46 p.m.
SVreX wrote: That wasn't the issue. The suggestion was that lower income + large family = crime and leach on society. FALSE.

your the only one suggesting that.

what i said was that lack of education = more likely to have big family. and lack of education = more likely to commit crimes. your the only one claiming big family = crime

aggravator
aggravator New Reader
10/18/11 2:47 p.m.
SVreX wrote: lack of education is the problem.

very much agree

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/18/11 3:17 p.m.

Nice try.

aggravator wrote: have you noticed that generally the poor uneducated people have huge family's while the educated people only have one or two kids and these kids are much less likely to become criminals or leaches?

I wonder who said that!

Type Q
Type Q Dork
10/18/11 3:30 p.m.
aggravator wrote: have you noticed that generally the poor uneducated people have huge family's while the educated people only have one or two kids and these kids are much less likely to become criminals or leaches?

Everybody remain calm. Aggravator seems to intent to live up to his/her screen name today.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render New Reader
10/18/11 3:38 p.m.

I wonder if I can find a white outline of an S197 Mustang to put on my back window along with a single male stick figure?

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/18/11 5:16 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I wonder if I can find a white outline of an S197 Mustang to put on my back window along with a single male stick figure?

I just happened to see one today of a woman holding a martini.

aggravator
aggravator Reader
10/19/11 8:41 p.m.

Rex,

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I didn't get a very good education. Started working at 16 and didn't get the college experience.

I was speaking in generalities and trends, while you want to turn my statements into a black or white rules. I use works like “more likely” and you seem to hear “equals”. I made a general statement about the trend of seeing more large families that are poor than than the average middle class family. I Know there is a connection with the quality of public education and poverty. And I know there is a connection between poverty and crime. OK so maybe in a round about way I said that a large family would likely to be poor uneducated and more prone to crime. That's probably true (likely and probably meaning more than 51%) I did not say that every large family would be a bunch criminals. I didn't say every criminal came from a large family. In fact if you narrow down the focus to only to large families vs small, I would think the crime rate is lower for the large. I did intend to say that educated people are less likely to become criminals.

I wasn't trying to offend, just offering an observation. Why are you offended by my observation? I didn't attack you in any way. I didn't even say how I felt about what I saw. The trend I noticed has been proved by the links Gamby and 92celicahalftrac provided!

You ASSume a lot. You called me a “elitist” and a “upper middle class professional” just because I said I see professionals every day in my life. You also assumed the intent of my statement saying I was “ethno-centric ultra biased” I stated nothing other than I noticed a trend. Obviously I wasn't referring to China, India, England or Australia, I am referring to the USA where most of the people on this board lives. Why do you assume I haven't interacted with a wide variety of people? All of your assumptions about me are incorrect. I think your station in life and your experiences lead you to jump to conclusions based a little info to infer more meaning than what is said.

Sorry everyone for the thread jack, I still dont get why people have those stickers on their cars.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/19/11 10:16 p.m.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but you should say what you mean.

There was nothing in your post that said anything about the US. I read it for exactly what it said. Since I have spent a good chunk of my life working in other countries, why should I assume you were referring to the US?

If you don't want to exercise a reasonable level of care about how you say something, it is reasonable for people to respond to what you say, not to what you meant.

I really don't know what "station in life" means. I have spent more than 20 years working with hundreds of poor families in several countries (staff member with Habitat for Humanity International), and homeschooled for 17 years (member of 3 different associations with combined membership exceeding 350 families- mostly large). So if "station if life" means that I've got some experience with poor or large families, then I would agree with you. I could probably pull out hundreds of thousands of Habitat homeowner applications which would show that poor families come in all sizes.

Educated people are less likely to get arrested for criminal acts. That doesn't mean they are less likely to become criminals. It might mean that they are more able to buy a good lawyer, or know a judge, or dodge a conviction. We've all got the same potential to do wrong.

Those links did not prove any "trend", as I have already explained. Since we haven't even tried to define what "poor" is, "educated" or what a large family is, there is no way to begin to "prove" anything.

I was offended because it was not true. My own family bears witness, 20+ years of experience evidences it, and the statistics simply do not prove it.

I wasn't the first to comment. The immediate post after yours asked if you were trying to pick a fight (because it sure looked like it).

Education has very little to do with how clearly you express yourself. Wisdom and carefulness have a great deal of impact.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
10/19/11 10:54 p.m.

...I wasn't talking about "family" stickers

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/19/11 11:28 p.m.

Oh sure, now you speak up!

LOL!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners